Ultimate Subaru Message Board

With the arrival of spring, I have noticed a definite rise in gas mileage of my outback 2.5 with 130k miles. Today, I measured 28 on a whole tank of hwy miles. Since EPA hwy estimate is 27, and those are often criticized for being inflated, I have the following hypotheses:

1. AWD is possibly just FWD... how do I check (aside from peeling out in a mudpuddle while looking back out the window)?

2. Increased gas prices have led me to drive even more conservatively- accellerating slowly, keeping very very steady rpms on the hwy, and coasting to a stop instead of gassing it and then stomping the brakes.

It may just be the change to summer gas and increased ambient temps.

Even if the AWD is just in FWD it does not give increased mileage. All the AWD sundry is still turning and dragging.

My all time best record on summer gas in good temps on 2.5L '00obw is 30mpg on a 200 mile trip. Average is 27-28.

But there are so many possible variables for fuel mileage that to get a good reading they must be minimized. i.e. same grade at the same pump from the same gas station driving in similar conditions with similar ambient temps, etc, averaged over a number of trips. But maybe you're already doing that.

The EPA or whoever authorizes sale of winter gas in certain areas from November I think to sometimes in spring. The first time I heard of it was when there were those gasoline shortages from that hurricane in New Orleans and they allowed winter gas to be sold early.

Sounds normal, now if you said 40 i'ld steal your car. EPA figures are just a guide, your milage may be higher or lower depending on how you drive, speed and weather. If i hold blu to 50 i can see 32 mpg, but typical on the highway (65-70) is 26. 1mpg +/- doesnt mean anything in the big scheme of things.

You would know rather quickly if your AWD is not working,like stated above.

nipper

I get better a better MPG average when my car is filled with stuff....i drove my gf home whihc is 2.5 hours awat about 225kms....i averaged 27mpg with the call filled to the brim with all her stuff....and i mean full.....and on the way back on the same highway and same driving conditions just without any extra weight.....i got 24 mpg average......

can anyone say.....weird

BIG BLUE

i better keep an eye out for you

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68353

Sounds normal, now if you said 40 i'ld steal your car. EPA figures are just a guide, your milage may be higher or lower depending on how you drive, speed and weather. If i hold blu to 50 i can see 32 mpg, but typical on the highway (65-70) is 26. 1mpg +/- doesnt mean anything in the big scheme of things.

You would know rather quickly if your AWD is not working,like stated above.

nipper

Hm...anyone know what states are left, if any, that don't put ethanol in their gasoline? In NY it's supposed to contain 10% (instead of MTBE).

az and ct for sure allow the use of MTBE. az also uses ethanol.