Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The park lights won't go off on my '95 Legacy

Actually the tail lights are staying on as well. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm not exactly mechanically or electrically inclined, although I was pretty proud of myself for finding the fuse and removing it... I figure its probably something in the switch on the steering column. Is this something a total incompetent should try to tackle? If its just a matter of cutting wires from an old switch and reconnecting wires for the new switch I may be okay. Anything more technical than that and I'm in trouble. Thanks!

Check the switch on top of steering column. It is probably ON. You may be second person (just kidding) that has had this happened to them.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good Subie info around here.

Another 'Subaru virgin' bites the dust. :rolleyes:

Ouch! I feel so... violated. I get it, I should have taken a few minutes to search this on my own before re-posting a question that apparently every other forumite before me has posted.

Thanks for the tip Cougar... Its actually a car my daughter is driving at college. I've asked her to check the switch. I had looked around for an alternative switch the other day when she was in, but missed the one everyone is talking about. What really steams me is that, if this is such a common problem that the "subie techs refer to this as the 'Battery Kill Switch'" as someone on an earlier post stated, why was the tech at my dealer ready to sell me a $420 part?!

While I'm at it, a couple of "backatcha's":

Hey johnceggleston, did you even spell your name right?

And "mtsmiths" and "nipper"... talking about virgins... That's just funny!

Thanks all!!

"why was the tech at my dealer ready to sell me a $420 part?!" That's why so many of us refer to Subaru outlets as STEALERSHIPS! The company really, really needs to monitor their franchises better.

what in hell was he going to sell you? i wouild report the mechanic to the dealership owner first, then to subaru.

Have you told anyone about this?

nipper

what in hell was he going to sell you? i wouild report the mechanic to the dealership owner first, then to subaru.

Have you told anyone about this?

nipper

At the price quoted, prolly a new column cluster switch. I sgree, slap the bast@rd.

Ouch! I feel so... violated. I get it, I should have taken a few minutes to search this on my own before re-posting a question that apparently every other forumite before me has posted.

Thanks for the tip Cougar... Its actually a car my daughter is driving at college. I've asked her to check the switch. I had looked around for an alternative switch the other day when she was in, but missed the one everyone is talking about. What really steams me is that, if this is such a common problem that the "subie techs refer to this as the 'Battery Kill Switch'" as someone on an earlier post stated, why was the tech at my dealer ready to sell me a $420 part?!

While I'm at it, a couple of "backatcha's":

Hey johnceggleston, did you even spell your name right?

And "mtsmiths" and "nipper"... talking about virgins... That's just funny!

Thanks all!!

Glad you got it fixed 2Feathers and you're welcome for the help. Also good to hear that you didn't get your feathers clipped by the dealership with a bad diagnosis. Keep tuned in here, we always have another action packed adventure going on.

mtsmiths is correct... They wanted to sell me the whole light/signal stalk kit (& kaboodle). I called the dealer back, and was told the guy who priced that wasn't a "tech" but simply the parts guy who wouldn't know anything about any "Battery Kill Switch." Whatever... I'm glad I found you guys. This may come as an utter shock, but I know nothing about automobile mechanics. But hey! At least I'm not a virgin... anymore.

Arigato, y'all!

To find out more about 'battery kill switches' and other good things just hang around here. Soon you will be able to fix Soobs just like the pro techs do. Some of the guys here are better help than you will find in a service shop.

Arigato back at ya.