Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How can I clean up this gauge wiring?

Hi. Installed these Cyberdyne gauges today in '00obw. Pretty happy with the look from the front. However, the look from the rear through the windshield is a little unsightly with all the wires and such.

What could I use to clean up/cover up the wiring? Maybe I should have used a pod instead of trying to custom make something...

these are voltage, engine oil pressure, engine oil temp, ATF temp

gauges-front-1.jpg

Sorry about all the dust in this picture....there is a ton of pollen around here right now.

gauges-rear-1.jpg

Wow. Thats a TON of wire exposed...

If you don't care to drill into the dash, you could always make a whole right behind the guages and feed the wire through there.

Or make a custom pod of fiberglass to hold them and hide most of the wiring...

Yes that is a lot of wire. I'd like to try making a custom fiberglass cover, I've seen that on pimp my ride and other shows, but how do you do it? Is there maybe a web site that would give instructions?

I thought I might cover it with some black fabric of some sort....it might not look the greatest but it would cover the wires....

There is a write up on making fiberglass parts somewhere on legacy central.

I can't really tell you what all it invloves not having done it myself. But I've seen some really awesome custom fiberglass stuff sone by some stereo guys around here...

You could also get one of those carpeted dash covers and leave the wire under it...

Cool thanks....hm...yes carpeted dash cover - that might just work. I would just drill a hole in the dash, but I didn't have the best of results doing that in my '96.

I'll have to look for the info on making the fiberglass parts. Yes they do seem to turn out quite nice. I think you just use a lot of fiberglass cloth and that brushable filler....but what form to use to make it on....

Hi nipper. Hm...good idea on using the smaller loom pieces. That will definitely help.

The engine oil temperature and engine oil pressure are tapped off the factory oil pressure switch under the alternator. The ATF temperature sensor is in the line between the factory cooler and aftermarket cooler.

There are more gauges to put in....four was the most I thought I could fit in that location and hopefully stay clear of the passenger airbag. I think I'll put these on the pillar. They are vacuum, fuel pressure, and A/F ratio (not sure how well it will work), and something else...I forget what it was now. Bought these gauges over two years ago and never got around tuit putting them in.

if you want to go the fiberglass route - use either a fine hardware cloth, or aluminum screen if you can find it, or some other such pliable substance, to creat the basic shape from, then lay your resin soaked fiberglass mat over that and work into the shape you created.

OK that's a lot of great suggestions and ideas. Until I figure out how I am going to cover, I just put a piece of black cloth over the wiring. It's kind of hard to see in the pic because of the glare.

gauges-rear-2.jpg

Also got the other gauges installed on the pillar. The camera doesn't catch all the gauge digits; I guess the gauges scan/strobe the leds.

cockpit-front-1.jpg

On the A pillar, i would have ran the wires through the trim, under the trim, and with alot of cursing (like i did for the aftermarket compass/mirror though a very tight acess hole (tight hand wise, plenty of room for wires).

nipper

Hm...cool idea nipper. I wasn't sure how much room there was back there...I probably should've looked before doing it this way...I liked your jdm gauge pics.

lol yah it did turn out to be a little bit over the top. It looks weird at night before starting because all the gauges flash when the reading is 'low'. I have to figure out which is the signal wire for the a/f meter...there's 5 wires on the front o2 sensor. Whatever wire I tried isn't working.

In no way am i knocking your job...But if i were to ever install gauges in mine. It would be exactly like Nippers!

By far the cleanest and most important informaion needed guages I've seen.

The only thing im chainging on mine is the oil temp gauge. SInce it doesnt say which oil temp it is, i am going to use it as a tranny temp gauge.

That neat thing comes from designing test equipemtn and buiding prtotypes, just dont look behind my computer desk .... ewwww

nipper

Yes nipper has a clean install. They do really look nice. Plus they're actual Subaru gauges which is nice too.

I thought about trying to use that area but these gauges wouldn't fit. I think wireloom looks attractive....ok well maybe not...

I don't think i'll use the digital gauges again. I have autometer analogs in the '96. They are much easier to read with a quick glance and knowing where the needle position generally should be. The digital gauges you have to actually read the value and think about it. Plus these cyberdyne's I don't think are extremely accurate.

yes carpeted dash cover

I'm thinking fire hazard for sure on that one.

You really need to run those wires out of site through the dash and a pillar. The fiberglass idea wouldn't be bad. In fact, I would remove the driverside Apillar trim piece and fiberglass those gauges right into it.

Fiberglass is not that hard. It just takes patience and effort. No cutting corners and being lazy/sloppy or it WILL look like crap.

Here are some pics of my recent first time fiberglassing results...

th_DSC02539.jpg

th_DSC02536.jpg

th_DSC02517.jpg

th_DSC02515.jpg

th_DSC02508.jpg

th_DSC02503.jpg

th_DSC02487.jpg

th_DSC02486.jpg

th_DSC02483.jpg

th_DSC02472.jpg

I don't think they turned out too bad. I ended up not using these but it was an excellent learning experience and I'm working on a custom fiberglass enclosure for my 10" Image Dynamics IDv.3 sub that's going to be mounted in the side compartment in the hatch area of my legacy wagon.

I lost the link to a great fiberglass forum but I learned from a couple of videos I bought on fiberglassing from caraudiohelp.com and a lot of it I just learned myself from my mistakes.

http://www.gadrivers.net/~dwicker/fiberglass.html

There's a cool how to on making a fiberglass trunk enclosure that shows a step by step on how to make that. Which will give you a good idea of how it's done.

These guys know how to fiberglass just about anything - http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/

Good luck!

Also, those door pods are not the right shade for my interior because the body shop sold me the wrong spray dye. It said dark grey and came out light grey. They can also mix a dye for you that will perfectly match and interior piece you bring in and help it look stock. You can use a product called SEM(or 3M) fine texture spray that will give your piece the texture that the interior plastic trim pieces already have. Then you spray the spray dye over that and it will look OEM stock.