Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This thread has been all about a 5MT, but could you do this on a 4EAT? Or would the Tcu get confused and start doing weird things?

4eat will get confused and will limit you to 50 mph working in conjunction with the ECU.

At least thats what has been shown on someone elses thread when they broke an axle.

nipper

This thread has been all about a 5MT, but could you do this on a 4EAT? Or would the Tcu get confused and start doing weird things?

if you throw in the FWD fuse it should work fine. Well, as far as I know but I don't think I've ever tried to go over 50 mph with it.

This all assumes it's a non-vtd car.

so nipper you were successful with removing the rear half shaft? Seems jamal says it wont work or wont work to a great degree for any period of time. Why cant we get a definite answer on this. Was your vc fried at the time nipper?

MY VC was fine. My driveshaft was shot. Automatics are hard plumbed to the FWD, and vary the rear wheel drive, so they can do it.

There is only one way to find out about a manual, its not hard to remove the driveshaft. Since your at the point of removing the drive shaft or parking it (yet it can get that bad that you can start hurting other parts of the car if not you), remove the shaft and see what happens. its not that hard to do.

nipper

So i found a life insurance policy I can cash out to get money...Now I'm considering just replacing the tranny and clutch b/c I have 166k on the original clutch and there are multiple used trannys around for ~500. My question is...does the VC come as part of a new(used) transmission? If so, this is def the economical way to go. How much would you pay somebody to put that in (new clutch and tranny)...I have several local suby mechanics willing to help me out.

Ok answering my own questions today...Subaru tells me the vc is part of the tranny. So given these options which would you guys want for a used tranny:

133k-550

147K-450 (but its a 97...not sure if the gears are the same??)

166K-500

186K-400

And is there anyway to know if the vc is good on the used tranny? Short of looking at the car it came off and seeing if the tires match I guess...if they even have the car there.

Thanks everybody.

mine failed from a tire with a leak and LOTS of highway miles...and the rear tires are wearing much faster than the fronts...about 2x...and I havent been good about rotating. I suppose I should address that first in case its something more than just an alignment issue. Maybe I'll go get four new tires (cause Ill need them anyway) and an alignment and see if we can figure out why the rears are wearing so fast.