Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CTS Question on my Hated XT6

I just added new plugs and since I couldnt get new wires I repaired the old one...Took the thing for a 20 mile spin..all was fine..until it got completely up to temp..tthen it was back to the backfire and no power...We did put a new T stat in it ( OEM Subaru)...Is it possible that my CTS is bad?? I am planning on pulling the T stat out once it cools off and trying it again.. But is it a possibility that ...that the CTS is failing and causing all this??Also..how hard is it going to be to find a new one?

I just added new plugs and since I couldnt get new wires I repaired the old one...Took the thing for a 20 mile spin..all was fine..until it got completely up to temp..tthen it was back to the backfire and no power...We did put a new T stat in it ( OEM Subaru)...Is it possible that my CTS is bad?? I am planning on pulling the T stat out once it cools off and trying it again.. But is it a possibility that ...that the CTS is failing and causing all this??Also..how hard is it going to be to find a new one?

Try disconnecting the CTS when it is warm and doing the backfire/no power thing. That may help diagnose if it is the cause. Also..do you have an ohm meter? The CTS is just a temperature sensitive resistor, there is a chart in the FSM of what temp/resistance it should have. Also - Advance auto in your neighborhood has a CTS for $14.94

Yes! 88 Danbury Road, New Milford Map 3 miles

Yes! 1333 Main Street, Watertown Map 15 miles

Yes! 301 Main St., Danbury Map 15 miles

Yes! 649 W Main St., Waterbury Map 18 miles

Yes! 80 E Main St., Torrington Map 19 miles

Try stealing a plug wire from Bucky, that should work I think..

Connie, have you checked for codes? The ECU is in the trunk by the right rear speaker. Plug the green connectors together and the black ones together. Tell us how many blinks you get and we can look the codes up.

Remember, long blink is 10 and short is 1.

No codes...Dave and Ben were talking and said something about the coil..since I could let the car sit and idle for 15 minutes..get it up to temp ..then run it for about 10-15 miles before it would act up again..the more it was run the worse it got..I could stop turn the car off for 5 minutes and it would be good for a few more miles... So I swapped out my back up coil for Bucky ...took the crapheap on a 25 mile HARD run ..and no problems...not even a stall.....Dont trust it ...but I am going to take it to work tomorrow and see what it does....Still need to drain the coolant and refill with antifreeze ( it has straight water right now) and try to un clog the drain for the AC..would have started that right now but we are getting some nasty thunderstorms

I already called the local Advanced..for that and a new coil...Heck they know me on a first name basis there...stopped in twice so far today....I think they have my car on a favorites on their puter

Connie, I'll look tonight when I get home from work... if I have a spare coil, I'll bring it to the Dragon. If by midweek you feel confident in yours, go ahead and drive it down to NC, and I'll give you mine.

I think all the problems you've been having have been sort of like breaking a wild stallion... eventually that horse is going to be a firey favorite steed. ;)

You got a punching bag, dont you?:-p

No, not Tommy:rolleyes:

Old parts do have a tendency to act up and die, dont forget that. I plan on bringing a spare part for everything on my XT......well almost;)

Rad hoses, top and bottom.

Coil.

Alternator.

Timing belts.

AC and Alt belts.

And maybe a few other things I cant think of right now.

You got a punching bag, dont you?:-p

No, not Tommy:rolleyes:

Old parts do have a tendency to act up and die, dont forget that. I plan on bringing a spare part for everything on my XT......well almost;)

Rad hoses, top and bottom.

Coil.

Alternator.

Timing belts.

AC and Alt belts.

And maybe a few other things I cant think of right now.

Just let me know if I gotta come resue you from the middle of nowhere:grin:

Connie I'll PM you my # that way, if you get closer to here than home & have probs you have a local to call for help. I don't have any XT parts, but I should be able to at a minimum come get you & take you, & Tommy where you need to go.

I've had that love/hate relationsip with an XT, so I know your pain.

Connie I'll PM you my # that way, if you get closer to here than home & have probs you have a local to call for help. I don't have any XT parts, but I should be able to at a minimum come get you & take you, & Tommy where you need to go.

I've had that love/hate relationsip with an XT, so I know your pain.

Thanks a Million...I wanted to make a post about in route contact numbers ..in case of emergecies

I may pull Bucks coil ( I hate pulling any parts from him ) until I can get a couple back ups....I am taking Rock to work tomorrow and if he still acts up I am going to toss a new CTS in him and see how that does

I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for Rocky. I want to see you guys at the Dragon. I want to be able to give you away.

HAHA I can see you now...PLEASE TAKE HER!!!! She's psyco..take her!!..ending with a swift kick in the pants.:-p ;)

Tommy aired the tent out today..and if worse comes to worse we will just have to bring his Toyota down ( which would help in the possible picking up of a new hood for Pheebie from Huck.)

i have a full set of timing pulleys and crank pulley as well. that's an artifact of when i had the original pulleys in it, mine are all repacked now so it's probably not necessary anymore. good luck rob!

Shouldnt need the t-belts, I just installed new ones. But you never know:rolleyes: Cant imagine a failure of the pulleys, but have encountered the XT6 crankpulley failure firsthand. Might throw a coil into the mix just for S&G's:-p

Shouldnt need the t-belts, I just installed new ones. But you never know:rolleyes: Cant imagine a failure of the pulleys, but have encountered the XT6 crankpulley failure firsthand. Might throw a coil into the mix just for S&G's:-p

A couple of years ago I went to look at an XT6 a guy was selling. When he started the motor, one of the pulleys self-destructed! Hideous timing for him, great for me. (I didn't buy the car.)

About 30 years ago I was selling an Austin-Healy Sprite. None of the electrical gauges in the dash worked. No doubt a common-ground fault, caused by corrosion, but I didn't know about stuff like that back then. So a guy comes over to check it out, I start the car, and all the gauges magically started working again! Sold the car.

A couple of years ago I went to look at an XT6 a guy was selling. When he started the motor, one of the pulleys self-destructed! Hideous timing for him, great for me. (I didn't buy the car.)

About 30 years ago I was selling an Austin-Healy Sprite. None of the electrical gauges in the dash worked. No doubt a common-ground fault, caused by corrosion, but I didn't know about stuff like that back then. So a guy comes over to check it out, I start the car, and all the gauges magically started working again! Sold the car.

awesome stories.. My buddy Justin, when I first met him, drove an old bronco II.. one of the first times I rode in it with him, he was talking about the lights in the dash and how they never came on anymore.. blah blah blah, "a while ago, it used to happen, but I could turn the lights off and back on like this..." He was about to say it would fix them, and his point was that this no longer worked to get them on.. but they came on. Somehow I KNEW about ten seconds before he even got to that point, exactly what he was going to show me, and I knew it was gonna work this time.

'lectricity. them dang electrons just wanna bury themselves in the dirt, and they'll take any path you can give em.