Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My CEL has been coming on sporadically for about the past 2,000 miles. The car drives fine and notice no difference in anything. I'll drive probably 300 miles and suddenly it will come on. After driving it normally it will turn off after a few times of starting it. I know I need to get the code read, but what is your best guess? It's a 00 OBW.

It COULD be a myriad of things. Your local Autozone will read the codes for free. Even if the CEL goes out the ECU will store the code.

If I HAD to hazard a guess, I'd say a misfire set the code. I'm not sure how many times it has to miss to set a CEL, but if the miss goes away, so does the CEL.

150,000 Manual. What do you think?

You are about the right time for the o2 sensor to go out (anything over 100,000 miles). (front one needs to be OE)

Have the codes read by somone who does it for free, but usually an intermitene CEL is an o2 sensor. A flashing o2 light is a misfire.

nipper

It shouldn't take any more than 45 minutes to replace an o2 sensor. Unless you have trouble getting the old one out, spray it down with some pb blast or the like and let it sit for a little bit before taking a crack at it.

As mentioned before, oem sensor for the front or look forward to doing it again in the near future. The rear isn't as critical, and most would agree a parts store replacement will do. But the rear isn't really needed to be changed unless it is confirmed bad.

My 00 OBW CEL with a P0420 has been on for months and months. A set of nice new OEM oxygen sensors didn't help, so I'm just waiting until I have the spare cash for a new cat. If it weren't for the state emissions inspection I'd probably wait for the exhaust to rust out before changing it.

In my experience, a P0420 code sets the CEL on and it tends to stay on. A CEL that goes on and off like that is probably something else.

My 00 OBW CEL with a P0420 has been on for months and months. A set of nice new OEM oxygen sensors didn't help, so I'm just waiting until I have the spare cash for a new cat. If it weren't for the state emissions inspection I'd probably wait for the exhaust to rust out before changing it.

In my experience, a P0420 code sets the CEL on and it tends to stay on. A CEL that goes on and off like that is probably something else.

I am having the same problem with my wife's 2002 OBW H6. (see the thread in this forum). CEL would come on after 10 miles of driving and stay on. Scanner read P0420. Clear the code, and could come back the next day, or maybe stay off for several if the distances driven were less than ~5 miles. Just replaced one of the front O2 sensors this past weekend, but it did not fix the problem. Will probably do the other one, but don't expect that to really fix anything.

I just got my code read and in this case it's the knock sensor. I'd consider either replacing the knock sensor or making sure it didn't get bumped loose.

hehe that would have been my 2nd choice.

Just replace it, as where they are they dont come loose. You can if you want just disconnect it and then plug it back in to make sure that the connection isnt dirty, but usually it is waht it is on that code.

nipper

I am having the same problem with my wife's 2002 OBW H6. (see the thread in this forum). CEL would come on after 10 miles of driving and stay on. Scanner read P0420. Clear the code, and could come back the next day, or maybe stay off for several if the distances driven were less than ~5 miles. Just replaced one of the front O2 sensors this past weekend, but it did not fix the problem. Will probably do the other one, but don't expect that to really fix anything.

One of thr front o2 sensors? If you have more then one you prbbly replaced the wrong one. If you stil have the old one swap them. Also did you use an OE sensor for the front? The rear can be any generic sensor.

nipper

Knock sensor is $97 list or $70 something at a discount OEM parts seller. Very easy to change, but get the orientation and torque right. They like to crack if overtorqued. And like nipper said, check connections first.

---------------

ksih3.jpg

post-17246-13602762391_thumb.jpg