Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Do any of the stock radios have aux inputs?

Do any of the stock CD players that would fit my 98 Impreza have an aux input (front or back)?

I'm one of those oddball guys who doesn't want my radio to look like a video game, I just want it to work and sound halfway decent. And I want it to have an aux for my ipod. I also don't want it to have a detachable face. These are not traits I seem to be able to find in the aftermarket.

Anyone have a lead for me?

I thought about the FM transmitter, but I need a new stereo anyway as the stock one is messed up and is for cassettes anyway, and I've heard bad things about the FM units. Besides that, then I'd have to buy a new stereo AND a FM unit, and I'd rather just buy one thing.

And now that I think of it, my old '90 Legacy had a tape deck with aux input on the front. Did they make a CD player then? They must have, right?

I thought about the FM transmitter, but I need a new stereo anyway as the stock one is messed up and is for cassettes anyway, and I've heard bad things about the FM units. Besides that, then I'd have to buy a new stereo AND a FM unit, and I'd rather just buy one thing.

And now that I think of it, my old '90 Legacy had a tape deck with aux input on the front. Did they make a CD player then? They must have, right?

Yes, they did. It plugged into the back of the radio unit with a DIN13 cable and replaced that small pockey (with a door) that sits below the radio. The AUX input in the 89--91 radios was to facilitate a portable CD player at the time, but it works with an iPod (or 0ther MP3 player) just fine. In 92 they took the AUX input out of the radio without changing anything else. I have had both types apart, and the circuit traces are still on the board for these years (at least the 92 has them). The AUX input was taken away as a cost saving modification, and the radio is a direct swap into any 90-94 Legacy. The total radio space for these models was 2.5DIN where IIRC the 98 Imp had a 1DIN opening (perhaps a 2DIN). This makes the stock 91 radio unusable to them. If, however, anyone with a 92-94 Legacy wants a stock looking radio with AUX in, DO go for the 89-91 radio. I have one in mine (with the CD player from an SVX) and it works great. Heh, my car is so old, it is in fashion again :clap::rolleyes::clap:

Please note also that the FM transmitter is susceptable to interference. Quite badly, in fact, and only really usable when you are so far out that no other radio signals can reach your antenna. . .

I have one in mine (with the CD player from an SVX) and it works great. Heh, my car is so old, it is in fashion again :clap::rolleyes::clap:

Please note also that the FM transmitter is susceptable to interference. Quite badly, in fact, and only really usable when you are so far out that no other radio signals can reach your antenna. . .

I did not know 91 was back in fashion! Sweet ! :banana:

I agree FM modulators are junk, I have tried several and none of them work well at all. I am glad my old school radio has a aux plug.