Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A thought

i was just curious. my car has the 15 inch spare. now i know i couldnt use the tire but since the stock rims are so small and narrow couldnt you take 4 15 inch spart tires mount regular 15 inch tires on them and drive it like that. or is there something different about the spare made differently

ben

nevermind found the thread on it. those wheels arent easy to find and expensive for me and hard to get the lugnuts for. ill just stick with the 13s

ok question on this has anyone put the 185-80-13 tires on there stock high vehicle. i can only fine these in trailer tires

ben

nevermind found the thread on it. those wheels arent easy to find and expensive for me and hard to get the lugnuts for. ill just stick with the 13s

ok question on this has anyone put the 185-80-13 tires on there stock high vehicle. i can only fine these in trailer tires

ben

I usedto run that size a lot too. they are harder to find now though it seems.

ben

I'm using Kumho 185/80x13 tires. They're called 795 Touring A/S. Inexpensive, 70K miles warranty, good all-around tires. Raise the body up about an inch.

http://www.kumhousa.com will have a dealer locator. But lots of places can order any tire, if you just ask.

I've ran that size, and they give some nice natural lift. My preference in the 80 series is 175/80/13. This is the best compromise overall IMO, if you want to go with a taller 13" tire.

As far as availability, you are right - brand new 13's are getting kinda scarce. Many domestic manufactures like Cooper don't even make them any more. Asian makers now supply most of the markets that still use 13's. Sears had the 29.99 Guardians last time I checked, and I think Firestone still carries a basic 80/13 series.

If you are looking for premiums or snows, there is still some old stock around, though snows {especially} are getting tough to come by. For example, the excellent (and bargain-priced) Dean Wintermaster is now practically extinct.

good luck, John

Got a welder? Find some 15" (any vehicle rims.) Cut the inner out of the 15" rims. Grab your 13" rims, place inside the 15" and weld... ? :banana:

Yes, it does sound crazy, but I have seen similar done before with no problems.

Ye Gods, man.. I don't want to go against what you said, I am certain it wouldn't be that difficult to do for the right person.. but sometimes you gotta throw that bone out there with a big disclaimer that if you dont feel like you were born with a welding torch in hand, don't try it!

Ye Gods, man.. I don't want to go against what you said, I am certain it wouldn't be that difficult to do for the right person.. but sometimes you gotta throw that bone out there with a big disclaimer that if you dont feel like you were born with a welding torch in hand, don't try it!

:lol:

Haha.

I bought a full set of 185/75 coopers *trendsetter SE* last year?

Good score, cause those are old stock. Cooper got out of the 13" snow market in 2005. I contacted them to try to track down some Dean Wintermasters (manufactured by Cooper). Too bad, because Cooper made some of the best traction tires around, at ridiculously low prices.

The asian manufacturers will keep the supply of 13's going for awhile, but 13" snows are definitely a dying breed...

John