Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Try this before dumping your air suspension!

Extensive web searching, including this board, gave me no hope for my air supension problems on my 87 GL-10 Turbo auto. My Haynes manual was next to useless and any shops I talked to had no clue. The only advice I could get was to change to non-air coil overs etc. Happened to stop into a library which had a Chilton's 85-96 Subie manual and EUREKA: A great explanation of the SELF DIAGNOSING AIR SUSPENSION SYSTEM. When the height light blinks it means something is wrong (duh!) and you should put it in diagnosis mode to read the error code from the height light! Codes cover the height sensors, (each strut) air solenoids to each air strut, and compressor parts.

Separate instructions are given for simple testing of the control unit.

In my case no codes displayed: must mean all components are ok.... so why the leaking down and sitting on the axle for the rear struts? Not sure but since no codes went to end of procedure to RESET the control unit by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for more than 10 seconds.

The suspension is now working quite well and the high position goes very well with the 185/80/13 tires that are massive compared to the stock 185/70/13 tires. It takes some turbo and minor power mods to handle those tires to still get EPA mileage with some less torque but better high end (3 spd auto)

Regards

KRMusher

Some of us "Old Timers" have FSM's to deal with the little eccentricities of some models. That includes the finiky air suspension from the GL-10 wagons that came equipped with it and most XT/XT6's. I have had 2 XT6's with converted suspension and currently have a XT with it. It likes to deflate if it sits for a couple of hours and I havent checked for leaks yet. One of my XT6's, prior to me converting it to standard susp, was a bear to diagnose. Everything leaked, the lines, the selanoids, even one of the shocks. I bypassed the puter and added schrader valves to air the front and rear seperatly. But when I found the selanoids leaking, that was the last straw:mad: I'm almost afraid to touch my XT:rolleyes: