Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power Steering Not Working 1988 XT6

Hello! SO I've been looking at XT6's and theres one that the power steering is not functional. the light is on... and hasnt worked for 2 years evidently.....

I started reading a bit about the power steering system and see that it is ....wierd. After searching I read about the "Liquid gold" $27 a bottle power steering fluid. i'm just curious about what usually happens to the system?

Whats a normal cause for it to go out? is this a simple fix? is this a horrible, awful, get-a-piece-of-electrical-tape-to-cover-the-light fix??

i tried XT6.net , but as i read further, its having...issues and will be back soon? Help me brainstorm. I'm thinking about getting one of these cars... but i'm scared!!! :slobber:

Thanks!!!

Luigi

Thanks for saving one from the east coast rust:rolleyes:

yea and i`m willing to pay $700 shipping for something that i`m just going to bathe with salt and then throw it in a field for years to rot it out beyond repair. just because i have loads of money to throw around like that and ruin rare cars that are nearly non-existant around here.

ok ok , i'm sure it wasnt meant that way. we all love these cars... we couldnt intentionally put them in harms way. :)

.....noooo worries :)

and subarujunkie, i'm probably going to make a caravan over to frys with my buddy driving my wagon, if you want, post your # and i'll give you a call when everythings gone down. Saturday the 4th, probably about noon or so.

XT6 power steering, check fluid level first.

the brushes are the most common issue, they wear out like any other electrical motor. they costs about $15 and are easy to replace.

sometimes you can just clean the internals out and get it working again..or evne tap the motor housing. lots and lots of dust in there makes for bad electrical mojo. but while it's apart for cleaning you might as well just install new brushes.

give the pump power and see if it operates. this will tell you if it's the motor or the supporting system of components...computer, power controller, sensors, etc.

there's a method to extract the code for the power steering light as well.

That wasnt aimed at you, it was for me.

Yeah i understand, i didnt think it was for me... just trying to keep the peace :)

I was actually directed to you grossgary by the XT6 people on the temporary site... excellent. i will check it out. And as soon as i get it, i want to wash all three of my cars and make some kind of photoshopped american flag, since i have a Red Touring Wagon, a White XT6, and a Blue Gl-10 Sedan.

Oh man, too much free time or something...... although i am at work on a saturday at 6am....

Greetings from sacramento I have a xt6 also with powersteering problems maybe it is something to do with this nice clean california air we have here.

Lots of subarus in the junkyards around here. Cars are shown no mercy around here that are parked in the streets. High dollar threats are posted on red notices by the city so lots of great cars end up in the pick and pull junkyards.

Sacramento craigslist is a goldmine for older cars.

That wasnt aimed at you, it was for me.

75Subie and I have a little disagreement about buying and shipping cars to the East Coast, thats all.

We all know you left coasters want all the good stuff to stay with you. But I have taken a solumn vow with the subaru gods that when the day comes that I bring one out here, it will NEVER see the roads in the winter weather.

yea, my brat has never seen salt in the time i`ve had it. the west coast is spoiled enough, i think they can spare a few.

if i remember correctly turbone, didn`t you yourself offer to drive a nice west coast soob out here for another member?

Luigi..you will be super happy with that car...like I said to you in PM...when they run right...they are awesome..and they are attention grabbers ( even before painting them yellow:Flame: Shannon!:-p )

If there is even a speck of rust on it..fix it ASAP..once it gets in there it will be out of control in no time ( I know I am so tired of fixing rust on 2 of my 3 that I am about to give in and let the rust have them..the 3rd I havent started to fix yet)