Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help Me Choose a Tire for a Forester

The other posts I found on tires are kinda old. What allseason tire works well on a forester?? It always feels like a crapshoot when picking a tire....the reviews on tirerack are so misleading its not funny. I'm running on Hankook's now and they're kooked.

I looked at BF goodrich traction T/A's but see some people say they're not good for AWD. Is there a handling difference between the H and V ratings?

Bridgestone Potenza G 009?

Any help appreciated.

I don't like the Potenzas. Had them on my 95 Legacy wagon and they slipped when there was even a little bit of slickness on the surface. Didn't matter if it was a light drizzle, excessive pollen dust, or snow. It was worst starting from a standstill, but that was enough to keep me from testing it too much while driving. I just became really cautious.

I looked at BF goodrich traction T/A's but see some people say they're not good for AWD. Is there a handling difference between the H and V ratings?

Why would the Traction T/A's not work well for AWD vehicles? We ran them on our 98 Forester S very successfully, and I know of many others who have.

Also, you might find this thread helpful.

I recently learned about the Nokia WR tire at a local store. Just looking at the tire it seemed special to me. The salesman stated the tire gets harder in the summer and softer in the winter. I think that is something special. If I was looking to buy a set of tires for my Outback this is what I would get. Especially if the area gets snow in the winter. One set of tires is all you need with this one. Check them out for yourself.

The other posts I found on tires are kinda old. What allseason tire works well on a forester?? It always feels like a crapshoot when picking a tire....the reviews on tirerack are so misleading its not funny. I'm running on Hankook's now and they're kooked.

Any help appreciated.

In order to help you properly...a few questions.

Year?

Turbo or non-turbo?

Road conditions? Do you drive on dirt a lot? Do you drive in snow a lot? Do you have to drive to the snow, or through the snow each year?

Budget?

This could help us in determining a good choice of tire for you. I'd recommend something different if you live in Colorado, for instance, than if you live in Florida, or Oregon, etc.

In order to help you properly...a few questions.

Year?

Turbo or non-turbo?

Road conditions? Do you drive on dirt a lot? Do you drive in snow a lot? Do you have to drive to the snow, or through the snow each year?

Budget?

This could help us in determining a good choice of tire for you. I'd recommend something different if you live in Colorado, for instance, than if you live in Florida, or Oregon, etc.

2002 Forester

Non turbo

Driven mainly in the midwest states, though I do drive in the Appalachins in the winter. Driven on plowed pavement 95% of the time. I'm looking for a good allseason as I dont have space to store 2 sets of tires (summer/winter).

Will probably tow a trailer every once and awhile.

Drive only on pavement.

Round with a hole in the center is best :rolleyes:

nipper

Went with Traction T/A H's, hope they all they're cracked up to be. FWIW, I notice nobody really seems too concerned about tires on this site. One would think with AWD, people would be a bit more picky. Any particular reason for this?

Anyhow, thanks for the recommendations.

FWIW, I notice nobody really seems too concerned about tires on this site. One would think with AWD, people would be a bit more picky. Any particular reason for this?

Anyhow, thanks for the recommendations.

You'll find more detailed tire discussions for Forester-specific applications on subaruforester.org.

Any help appreciated.

Although I cannot address the specific rating and Goddrich issue, I asked essentially this same replacement question a few months ago. After some research, I just three days ago put on some Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads on my '04 Forester XT. Although, I have no long term experience with these tires yet, I did already have the opportunity to drive through some fairly substantial wet road downpours and was impressed with the wet traction of these tires. They are way better than the Yokohama Geolanders they replaced. My driving is primarily on-road in the Midwest.

I put the Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads on our 2002 OBW at 65,000 miles. Have 31,000 miles on the tires, and they have been a good, all round tire. Have driven in all kinds of weather, even in up to 8" of snow in the mountains of West Virginia with no issues. Good in the rain also. My only caution is a bit of mushiness in the steering response which I attribute to the soft sidewalls.