Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just went to see Blu today. The shop is closed, but Blu is parked on the street. This was the first time i got to see Blu on my own (should have popped the hood).

I bounced the car, i like the firmness of the new struts. The BIGGest reason for doing this, worked out better then i thought.

My back.

If i sit below my knees, i have a hell of a time getting out of a seat after a few hours. NOw with the extra height, my legs are at 90 degrees at my knees, so i can actually get out of the car easily.

They are car guys. They are good people.

nipper

So what did they charge you for the install?

Looks good.

I havent gotten Blu back yet. There is one nail biter right now, the shift cable. The original one (210,000 miles) snapped when they tried to make it work. They had to order a new one and they should have it today. That only leaves the wheel alignment, where i might have to get camber bolts. I haven t received a phone call, and they said that they would align it on last monday, so no news is good news.

nipper

The shop called today. The shift cable works

YAY

They wont give me blu back yet. They got blu on the alignment rack, and Blu needs a camber kit. 2 degrees in the front, and 1 1/2 in the rear.

Oddly the lift kit may have saved Blus life already. We had a really bad rainstorm here tuesday. Locally we got 3.5 " of rain in an hour or less (and ther tornado in brooklyn). The rental car place around the block from me lost 4 cars. My street was somplelty flooded (my house is 4 feet above the street). The shop said that the water was so high, that there was a chance if Blu was normal height i would have lost Blu.

So anyone have a good source for cam kits?

nipper

Wow see the lift is paying off already! Sweet. Hey anybody ever put a bilge pump in a Subaru? :D

Well SummitRacing.com carries the part # of that cam kit you posted early in the thread. Would have to verify with them what it comes with since Summit pic shows only the bolts. Summit has great customer service and for your location you might get it the next day even Saturdays if you order by 6PM.

If yours didn't come with a brace like that I'd get one made. It looks to be just a piece of 1/4" flat bar from the pic.

I will do that in the fall, i have to see how that is bolted in place.

I will also study the allied kit.

I think the cause for the failure (and other failures) is the use of oversized tires that were dubbing up against the frame. I am not going to go that route.

nipper

I'd be carefull about putting unecessary braces under your vehicle. This lift in your vehicle is tried and true. We installed one in a college vehicle that did an automated desert race and never had failure, and Albie the designer has ran this lift in his outback 1995 outback with 29" swampers for over two years (and were talking a hard two years) with no failure and still driving. We've also sold a handful on the market with no problems. If you go adding a brace it may put your car at danger as it may have been the cause if this persons damage.

The way I see it is that dodgy looking brace under that vehicle could easily be bent when going over any obstacles (like rocks) for which could crush into the unit pulling the bolt out and damaging the unibody.

I'd be carefull about putting unecessary braces under your vehicle. This lift in your vehicle is tried and true. We installed one in a college vehicle that did an automated desert race and never had failure, and Albie the designer has ran this lift in his outback 1995 outback with 29" swampers for over two years (and were talking a hard two years) with no failure and still driving. We've also sold a handful on the market with no problems. If you go adding a brace it may put your car at danger as it may have been the cause if this persons damage.

The way I see it is that dodgy looking brace under that vehicle could easily be bent when going over any obstacles (like rocks) for which could crush into the unit pulling the bolt out and damaging the unibody.

YAY i was going to send you an email to ask about it :)

When i looked at it, and later in a private email to the original person (these are scorpion kits in austrailia) they tend to go bigger (not just taller) with their tires. I may go taller, but wasnt planning on going wider.

Right now the only interfernce issue has been the rear tires rubbing the springs at full extension, which is not something i am planning on doing.

Hopefully i will get Blu back today or tomorrow. The camber bolts were unexpected, the dog bone motor mount was not expected (any suggestions on that besides a welded extension), and the tranny cable, well, it was old. I ordered aftermarket air intake to get around that other issue.

nipper

Blu will be home tomorrow, they just have to get him on the alignment rack. Then i need to drive it for a few days and bring it back for state inspection. The inspector is on vacation this week.

Odd thing. the battery is dead as a doornail and wont hold a charge. The battery is less then a year old, so they are replacing it under warrenty. They suspect my "gadgets". I disagree. The altnator is putting out over 13 volts. I also got them from them too, though my gut tells me it isnt putting out enough power.

I have wired to the battery the rear fog light relay. The air horn relay. The driving light relay. All three are only activated by their respective switches, for which the car has to be on. There is also a 400 watt amp that is wired to the battery, and controled by the car stereo. COUld this be the culprit? I never liked relying on remote switches.

If they accidentally left the jey on when they were working on it I could see the amp draining power from the battery. But under normal circumstances, the amp, lights, and your other gagetry will not cause this failure. In my 95 wagon of a few years back I had a 1600 watt amp, in dash tv screen, ps2(with a fused dc to ac power convertor), fog lights, and led lights under the dash. And I never had any trouble out of my battery unless we were playing ps2 with the car off.

If they accidentally left the jey on when they were working on it I could see the amp draining power from the battery. But under normal circumstances, the amp, lights, and your other gagetry will not cause this failure. In my 95 wagon of a few years back I had a 1600 watt amp, in dash tv screen, ps2(with a fused dc to ac power convertor), fog lights, and led lights under the dash. And I never had any trouble out of my battery unless we were playing ps2 with the car off.

Well its never been a comforting charge rate. At times it would dip to 11.9, then up to 12.8 (we are talking less then a second here) with full load. I am almost tempted to have the alt shop here look at it and see what they think. The problem is that it passes on car load tests.

I dont have a lot of comfort in thealtenator on the car.

Anyone got a good one they arent using? I dont want to pay for a (rebuild) replacement untill im sure.

Even when it dips below 12 lights dont dim, so I never worried about it. Maybe its just a bad battery from the get go. I've driven down to DC and back in the rain with no issues (200 plus miles one way).

nipper

Did your's get changed under the recall on the alternator about 7-8 years ago. I remember on my mom's they replaced the alt(due to insuffiecent charging on factory units) and added the spring retainers to the front at the same time. Her's is a 98 Legacy L.

Did your's get changed under the recall on the alternator about 7-8 years ago. I remember on my mom's they replaced the alt(due to insuffiecent charging on factory units) and added the spring retainers to the front at the same time. Her's is a 98 Legacy L.

This is altenator #3, if i have to get another im getting it from an online subaru dealership.

nipper

Schweet! Looking forward to the photos. Did you get the eBay intake? I take it the shifter cable is fixed.

schweet.gifparty1.gif

i think my credit card just imploded

short ram intake is coming (not from ebay)

Heat sheild for the cone filter is coming

What was replaced

4 struts with the GR2 (after renting a nissan sentra and an hunday accent it doesnt seem that bad)

Automatic shifter cable

AC was recharged/leak fixed

4 wheel alignment

New battery (warrenty item)

4 wheel alignment

Oil Change ( i was due, but i was going to do it myslef, but they did it ....oh well)

2 new radiator hoses

right front axle

Surprises :

There is a thunk under the car sometimes, may be a heat sheild.

Every wiring harness under the hood had to be adjusted

Air intake box fit issue

Dogbone engine mount had to be cut and welded

Transmission cable bracket snapped (old age)

Left to be done:

I really dont like the stress on the rubber fuel lines, i am going to have to replace them.

Altenator charging seems low. I am getting one from one of the subaru online dealers (explain to me why they sell it for 61 and everyone else is over 200). Maybe this will cure the issue.

Fix my damn dash lights and reprogram everything

Return tuesday to get the car inspected and have everything double checked

Worrysome:

There is some slight binding in the steering, more aparent in left turns then rights. The shop and I both agree that it is the steering shaft extension, and it should go away as it breaks in.

before.jpg

DSC00591.jpg

Rear

before2.jpg

DSC00592.jpg

DSC00594.jpg

DSC00601.jpg

DSC00604.jpg

DSC00599.jpg

DSC00602.jpg

DSC00596.jpg