Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New member, and just bought an 84 wagon :)

Yay! :banana: :banana: :banana:

I just bought myself an '84 GL wagon, very much in original condition, serviced by the local Subraru dealers since new, 1, maybe 2 owners.. For $800 AUD! :burnout:

She goes pretty well, has great pickup.. I cant find a thing wrong.

Now, is there anything I should know or watch out for, are there any inherent faults that should be dealt with?

Thanks for your help guys. :confused:

~Fox

***edit***

I have some brown goop in the oil filler tube, I dont suspect the head gasket at this stage as there is 0 turbulence in the radiator when running and the rest of the car is extremely well maintained. However, I will change the oil/filter when I get the time. I work split shifts >.<

Great buy..

The EA81 is bullet proof in my mind (100x better then the later EA82 engine, IMHO.)

It will leak oil somewhere sometimes soon, if not already. But thats totally normal and it wouldn't be a Subaru if it didn't.

I'm guessing it's a dual range 4sp? You will find the shifter linkage gets sloppy and makes it feel like reverse gear is going bad. But if you fix the linkage when you start noticing it you may be able to save your reverse gear. You can fit a Weber 32/36 carby and it will have a fair bit more pick up and go. Plus a 2" to 2 and a quarter inch exhaust system with a straight through muffler will add some power and make it sound 100x better also.

Also keep an eye on the body and use something like fish oil in all the guards and external parts of the body to stop the rust..

Theres heaps more, but I can't revel all the secrets your car holds.. You'll have fun learning along the way when she throughs up a problem. Just jump on here and ask what ever you want (after searching of cause.)

Oh and welcome to the forum.

I havent been able to find any rust, surface or otherwise. None near the seals, windscreen or anywhere. The linkages are strong, new rubbers on most things, the hoses/filters/clamps are all good, no heat damage, no splitting.

I live on 23 acres and have a rally track of sorts, I was gentle but put her through some paces to test various things. The dual range is good, no knocks thumps or anything, shifts well.

Once I did return to the carpark and shifted into reverse, the engine did conk out a couple of times, which it hasnt done since nor before that time. I suspect a bit of vapour lock.

Now I begin the total inspection of everything I can get my mitts onto, the workshop manual should be on its way soon.

Awesome!!

I might look you up when I'm in Melbourne this coming Easter, my olds live just North of Sunbury... Lotsa wheelin and rally driving to be had through the Wombat state park and Lerderderg on the North side of Melbourne, I used to love tearing round the back side of the Dandenongs late at night too :headbang:

Awesome!!

I might look you up when I'm in Melbourne this coming Easter, my olds live just North of Sunbury... Lotsa wheelin and rally driving to be had through the Wombat state park and Lerderderg on the North side of Melbourne, I used to love tearing round the back side of the Dandenongs late at night too :headbang:

and when you are there, you are going to pick up a few kewl bumpers that they have there right??:clap:

Hmmm..

Either I have a blown head gasket or the car has had one, and the oil wasn't changed properly or at all.

The oil is a bit of a milkshake atm, I ran the engine with a piece of paper hanging down inside the radiator, very very little brown muck was in there and it doesn't seem to be overheating. I have had the temp gauge up to 1/2 (the second thermo fan didnt kick in..) while stationary.

How much of a job is it to change the head gasket?

(Took some photos, will post them later. Back to work now.)

You don't need to pull the engine to do the job. It's pretty simple and you'll only need two new exhaust and inlet gaskets plus the head gasket. The Gregories manual explaines it all.

Basically...

unbolt inlet manifold and move slightly away (three bolts on each side.)

unbolt exhaust y-pipe.

remove rocker cover (2 bolts)

Remove rocker arm assembily (two bolts)

pull push rods out and keep in the right order

remove all head nuts (9 of which I think)

Pull the head off, might have EGR, which might need removing too.

clean it all up and then put it all back together.

I can get the three step head torque specs for you, but normally the new head gasket comes with that info on the packing. You should be able to get new head gaskets (not OEM) for under $20 and the other 4 gaskets will come to less then $30.

Being the EA81, it's super easy! :grin:

EA82 is :dead: well, not that bad... but....

Thanks heaps! :):clap:

I have placed a bid on the workshop manual on ebay, hopefully I win it.

I have to boot up the other machine to post pics, should get around to that later tonite. Will post them if I do.

~Fox

Well done mate

I have owned 4 EA81 vehciles now and one EA82 I know which one I prefer. The EA81 is as Phiz states bullet proof. Now I am not one to condone miracle treatments but my first EA81 had the muck in the oil, so i put in some 'chemiweld', the leak was small and a water port I then drove that car to Sydney from Adelaide via the snow and It was fine never bothered with the head gaskets and that car is still going strong! If you need to pull the engine its a great chance to do the gaskets, engine seals, oil pump seals and sump and rocker cover gaskets, plan it all in advance and it will make the job easy. I have pulled the engines many times now and I am NO mechanic, it really is piss easy (but if you a novice allow a few days to do it properly). A member called Ruby soo has an excellent writeup on it - google him. You should also get a hold of the How to Keep Your Subaru Alive Book - it is much better than the Gregorys manual (IMHO) although having all the manuals is the way to go as it helps to have a few reference sources.

The you can get onto the non- neccessary but good stuff like gearbox linkages (beleive Phiz when the reverse goes it feels likes it's stuffed and is not amusing doing a three point turn with a car that wont go into reverse:grin: )

Then I strongly reccomend on an 84 car getting the bushes replaced with superpro bushings and doin your shocks and ball joints, the car will feel much nicer to drive (I used KYB shocks and they seem good and very well priced in comparison to Monroe). Then a nice exhaust to bring out the boxer sound, a new radiator depending on condition of the original one, then all the rest, it's amazing what you can find to do that doesnt really need doing!

I would also reccomend the purolkator oil filters, they are larger than the repco ones which are now made in China and they really and noticeable keep the oil cleaner for longer.

But mostly welcome to the USMB and sooby land don't listen to your mates friends unknown people who say why bother with a car thats 25 years old, get a new Holden, etc. - they dont and never will understand!

These old cars rock are great to drive ultra reliable and addictive. I will keep my 84 touring wagon forever - bessides it's got power windows, air-con, velour seats, digital dash and a trip computer - its freakin 24 years old!

pS get yourself a 36mm socket as well - there will come a day when you need it!:cool:

forgot to say temp guage to half way is normal with these cars mine is in bars and it normally sits at five bars (1/2 way) and then when stationary goes to six bars and as soon as gets to seven the thermo fan switches on. Thats about 2/3 up guage. All my ea81 been the same. You can have a secondary wired thermo fan in fact many get rid of the clutch belt driven fan and put on a electro fan. Mine has AC so only got the two thermo fans, no belt driven fan. Also in US some use an EA81 turbo dual core radiator, not seen them here in Oz but i'm sureyou could get them, not seen any need myself if cooling maintained well enough but also good idea to replace water pump if you pull the engine.:)

:eek::grin::eek::grin:

I dont think I could have heard any words sweeter than those I heard today.

A mechanic that lives here (I share a 25 bedroom place) had a look at the milkshake that was oil as I was draining it and he commented that in his years, he has never seen it that bad. Ever.

I changed the oil and filter, then ran it a bit. Theres now no water in the oil, she runs really well and he now thinks (as I do) that some prev owner, that knew nothing about cars, put water in the oil filler instead of the radiator. Seems I dont need the head gaskets done at all, I have ordered them and will keep them aside in case I ever need them.. I dont think I need them now though :banana:

~Fox

Welcome to the Board! Nice car. Now you need...

1. Ozified lift kit.

B. Weber 32/36 DGEV carby. Use an EA82 manifold for better flow (the carb-base hole is larger).

3. Taller tires, about 28". Recommend 15" aluminium rims like the Peugeots as the best way to go, to keep rolling weight down.

I would put the weber on it, but removing the emissions reductions gear is highly illegal. I will be upgrading to pug rims and perhaps semi offroad tyres (heavier lug, stronger sidewalls etc).

I do intend on updating the suspension bigtime, I dont know if I will stick with the present coils and put polyairs in or upgrade to gas shocks and better coils.. Ill evaluate that when I get to that point. I think the suspension bottoms out a little fast atm. Could just be worn.

~Fox

Hey Mate

If you really want the weber you can on the new webers get EGR connections, fuel return lines and hook the PCV through the air cleaner thereby all original anti-smog gear is on the wagon. Also though the Hitachi is a good carby and not too hard to rebuild.

Finding alloy Pug wheels in Australia is like findingh hens teeth......

If you want 15" alloys you'll need to get a set of Performance Superlites, you can buy 15x6 or 15x7 with 4x140 PCD for about $180 a piece.. Or you can convert to 6 stud, and buy some second hand 2WD jap ute mags. Or you can look at the group buys on AuSubaru, I believe there were some 15" 4x140PCD wheels on there...

3. Taller tires, about 28". Recommend 15" aluminium rims like the Peugeots as the best way to go, to keep rolling weight down.

Beautiful EA81!! Welcome to USMB, and don't worry your not alone! I'm also a big fan of the EA81 motor, and I strongly recommend the weber conversion. I think the hitachi has too many things to go wrong on it, and I had a hard time getting parts, but when I converted, I got better milage and more power.:burnout:

I started on the interior today. I intended on buying some vinyl dye to stain the dash another colour, instead, I have gone with the tan/black. I will buy black seatcovers, I have black carpet/mats, black/tan steering wheel cover and may take off the top 1/2 of the door trims and remake that portion in black velour. So far, its coming up pretty well.

Took a closer inspection of the windscreen as I cleaned it (was dirty from the caryard) and found it has thousands of tiny pits all over it.. Guess I am up for a new windscreen. Ah well.

Im still overly happy with the soob. :headbang: