Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm trying to decide if I should tint my windows on my OBW

These are the positive things I've heard so far.

-Cooler in summer, less load on A/C

-upholstry does not fade as quickly(I thought the windows already have UV blockers)

-more privacy

Any other opinions?

I've gotten quotes from the Seattle/Lynnwood/Everett area from $270 to $360. Seems like each shop uses a different brand/type film. They all offer lifetime warranty. Is this a good price range and what type of film is recommended?

Coming from the Phoenix area it was really a necessity. I now live in the Seattle area. I am a big fan of tint and recommend it. I remember paying around $200 at the subaru dealership when i bought the car new a year ago. I recently purchased another car in the N.W. and the tint cost me $250 (had it done in Phoenix on a trip). Find a reputable tint shop that has a good track record. If you need to check the BBB. good luck!

Coming from the Phoenix area it was really a necessity. I now live in the Seattle area. I am a big fan of tint and recommend it. I remember paying around $200 at the subaru dealership when i bought the car new a year ago. I recently purchased another car in the N.W. and the tint cost me $250 (had it done in Phoenix on a trip). Find a reputable tint shop that has a good track record. If you need to check the BBB. good luck!

Was yours a wagon or sedan? How dark did you go? Was it lighter on the front windows and darker on the rears?

I'm trying to decide if I should tint my windows on my OBW

These are the positive things I've heard so far.

-Cooler in summer, less load on A/C

-upholstry does not fade as quickly(I thought the windows already have UV blockers)

-more privacy

Any other opinions?

I've gotten quotes from the Seattle/Lynnwood/Everett area from $270 to $360. Seems like each shop uses a different brand/type film. They all offer lifetime warranty. Is this a good price range and what type of film is recommended?

Don't forget it makes the car look MUCH better. ;)

Make sure you go ahead and get the "premium" metallic tint. It does a much better job of actually reflecting the sun's rays instead of just absorbing them. Cheap tint is essentially dyed saran wrap. The good stuff has actual metal fibers that do the reflecting. Only downside is it hurts reception if you have the radio antenna built into a window and it might knock down cell phone reception a touch.

i had my 93 legacy wgn done in auburn for about $200, was diamond tint which i understand is pretty good stuff, but, dont go to dark on the rear hatch like i did...cant see a &^*^*& thing when i back up..got some halogen backup lights and that helped but i think i am to mount a mini fog light next to the license plate and wire it into the reverse lights, THAT should brighten up things a bit :D

I had my RX tinted a few months back and asked about the colored tint. They said they wont use it because it fades after a couple of years. I dont know if this includes the metallic tint or not. I went legal on the doors and dark in the back. Cost me $240 total.

I had my RX tinted a few months back and asked about the colored tint. They said they wont use it because it fades after a couple of years. I dont know if this includes the metallic tint or not. I went legal on the doors and dark in the back. Cost me $240 total.

Who did you do it through?

I probably won't go too dark but I primarily want it so that it'll block the heat

Seems like every time I see a car with aftermarket window tint it had a gillion bubbles in it and was pulling away from the glass. Is that usually a problem, or is it just bad workmanship?

Its because it wasnt done professionaly. It takes skill and the right tools to do it.

danz, I got mine at X Treme Sound in Puyallup. Save your gas money and find a place up by you, there should be several places that can do it.

Its because it wasnt done professionaly. It takes skill and the right tools to do it.

danz, I got mine at X Treme Sound in Puyallup. Save your gas money and find a place up by you, there should be several places that can do it.

I've called around and got quotes anywhere from $265 to $370. Problem is that they all use different brand of films. Some ceramic, some metallic, some neither. I will probably stay away from metallic since it interferes with radio, nav etc.