Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can't remember..

:confused:

I don't recall any check ball or spring, but I didn't disassemble my cam carriers at ALL when I did my HGs... is this held in place by a plug or a bolt or something?

In other words, am I in trouble because I have no idea what this is??? cars been running fine for four months now, so I cant IMAGINE I am in trouble.. but since it came up (and it keeps bugging me) i thought I would ask.

Yes! Thank you much for details.

I have a feeling there wasn't a ball, but only a spring. This is no good....

Does this mean I cannot install it until I get 'the balls'?

(haha sorry. sounded funny)

If you're looking around on the garage floor for this part, I recall it actually being a piston/cylinder looking thing rather than a ball.

I prolly can't make those things, too :(

CRAP!! :mad:

I think they were missing before I got the car! I only recall a spring on one side. :eek:

I just took all my spare parts to Oregon, and now I'm in Wisconsin, or I'd just toss em in an envelope for ya. I am sure someone here could send you a couple. If no one has in 2 weeks I can send them to you.

Well 'witty' me decided to put the banjo bolt back into the cam plate with the spring in...not knowing this little hollow metal thing is still in there, but I'm missing 1 now and i think a spring in one of the heads I bought was still in even on the 3 hr trip back in the bouncy corolla haha

So Subaru wants $100 for that thing? I'll make one before they get that kinda dough...

So progress has been made, but this missing piece is halting 90 % of what I can do now. Can't lower the engine back down for exhaust/turbo remounting due to valve cover/subframe rail clearance. Can do the wiring harness I suppose? I'll look in the rolla (aka: clean it out) for that little cam squirter relief valve thing.

Fraid I might be asking for AC compressor/ALT bracket pictures fairly soon.

If I can't find that thing, Gloyale, I'd be more than happy to chuck a 5 spot your way! Does ea82 have the same cam oil shooter setup as ea82t?

If I can't find that thing, Gloyale, I'd be more than happy to chuck a 5 spot your way! Does ea82 have the same cam oil shooter setup as ea82t?

Yeah you could get that from any EA82, turbo or not. There may be a difference in the springs(I don't think so but maaaaybe) but the plungers are for sure the same. I won't be able to get to the ones I got for 2 weeks. Someone else has gotta have a set.

Or you could try a dealer. Really it might not be too much at all. j2coe $100 comment was an offhand joke I think.

Ah, I see. I figured maybe subaru stealership isnt so bad despite me never going there, but sounds like they're all the same back stabbing bastards.

BTW, I found that stupid thing when I decided to put more crap together.

Clearing out the floor of parts going onto the engine=finding lost stuff, especially little. Makes sense?

So nobody in the world can get me a mani-to-turbo gasket seeing as the old one has less than 1/4 left of it on. hahah So THATS why it was slow...was part of the warped head/bad HG problem.

btw, I'm never doing this again. :)

p.s. I give much thanks for the parts help! I'll prolly need some sort of help once I can get this thing cracking over and not starting hahahha I have little faith in myself...thats what drives me :D

"quote"

So nobody in the world can get me a mani-to-turbo gasket seeing as the old one has less than 1/4 left of it on. hahah So THATS why it was slow...was part of the warped head/bad HG problem.

"end quote"

I may have the turbo gaskets out in the garage. I know I have one of them, I'll dig thru the "stash o' stuff" and see what I can find. I don't have a turbo'd 'Ru, so no use for gaskets. Will be much later today before I get to it though.

Wow! Even more help!!! Are the gaskets used? I'm trying to go for the whole 'proper' thing, you know? I looked for the old 1 and it was literally 1 inch long, or at least what was left of it, so maybe thats a sign telling me to go the proper route of new?

I don't know if turbo gaskets are reusable, too. I made my z31 turbo, but didn't use more than a set of exhaust manifold-to-head gaskets.

Well I broke down and ordered a full new set. $22 won't hurt me for all new anyways. I hate to wait till tuesday, but if it means doing it right, I'll wait even longer if need be.

Well here is what it looks like now. Ready for some gaskets, then finish assembly, fluids and some hoping and praying to the first-time gods this thing starts.

I've gone over and over and over everything many times. Head gasket jobs never take over a day for me. I really didn't enjoy this type of engine.

I'm pulling it next time.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q306/Corolla_Frenzy/Loyale/DSC01933.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q306/Corolla_Frenzy/Loyale/DSC01934.jpg

All those vac lines are freaky looking. I also broke some removing them. They look like intake/pcv. I'll also be asking about the crazy double/triple T 5/8" size vac lines that are located by the TB on the tps side and where they go.

You'll be better off with the gaskets you ordered, you'll have them quicker. Mailing from Michigan, it would be the weekend before you got them from me.

Was a bad day yesterday, so I didn't look for gaskets.

I wrecked the Wife's '93 Sunbird convertable. So,,, all bets are off until I beat it back into shape.....