Ultimate Subaru Message Board

any idea what caused this engine to die?

i'm talking to the owner of a 92 leg wagon that "needs a engine". when i asked what happened she responded with:

"All I know is that they changed the oil in the car and my son's friends were revenning the engine to make sure oil was in the motor or something and decided to floor it and there was a loud bang."

before i got her response i was kind of hoping it was the timing belt, but it doesn't sound like it.

not much to go on but, any ideas?

thanks, john

i'm talking to the owner of a 92 leg wagon that "needs a engine". when i asked what happened she responded with:

"All I know is that they changed the oil in the car and my son's friends were revenning the engine to make sure oil was in the motor or something and decided to floor it and there was a loud bang."

before i got her response i was kind of hoping it was the timing belt, but it doesn't sound like it.

not much to go on but, any ideas?

thanks, john

A large bang! And then what? Did it die, did it keep running and sound like a rod was trying to escape, or what?

You probably wont know until you actually look at it.