Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Chronic misfire of cylinder...wires? plugs?

I have an EJ22 engine which is now almost constantly misfiring. Especially prevalent going uphill or accelerating. I'm thinking wires and/or plugs. O2 sensor maybe?

I recently had exhaust work done so I drove it for a while w/o proper backpressure.

Additives don't seem to work and resetting the 'puter is to no avail.

Any idears?

--Damien

Right on, with NGK spark plugs and OEM plug wires. Are you reading misfire codes via the ODBII?

Yeah, that happens, too...the CEL blinks about 10 or so times whenever its hesitates bad. I had a similar problem before and when I read the codes back then it said 'cylinder misfire'. Back then it turned out that a wire got a little loose on the plug.

Alright, I'll check that... Thanks for the advice.

--Damien

I don't have a manual yet (just bought a 94) but I'm going to be putting in new plugs and don't know what the gap to use. It's a 94 Legacy L Wagon 5-speed in case that matters.

Eventually I want to swap in a 2.0 WRX motor & tranny... hehehe - Josh, are you listening? I've got a new toy!!

• 3 weeks later...

Definatly change your plug wires at least... and plugs are cheaper so do them both if you can.

My 2.2T had a HORRIBLE misfire problem. Backfired too. I was stumped for days, so i decided to pull the plugs to see if I could tell which cylinder was the problem (by examining plugs).

As soon as I pulled the plug wire from the #1 cylinder, it fell apart in my hand. Sometimes its just that easy, but other times you cant see the damage thats done.

Definatly get new wires!!

Hopefully it is only plugs and wires,there are tests to check your coil pack wires and plugs,and maybe it's something as simple as a rotten boot. Just for reference did you ever notice a definite pop or loss of power while pulling a hill,and maybe a generous stream of dark smoke while pulling the hill,exactly what happened to me and discovered burnt valve. Investigate the searches and ask questions and be sure to let us know what you find.