Ultimate Subaru Message Board

smashed rear driver's door glass

Things just weren't in my favor yesterday I guess. I decided to drive the Legacy to work today, first time I've driven it to this job....ever...and today's my last day. I parked in the back of the parking garage to avoid door dings, and I came out after lunch to find my rear driver's door window had been broken.

Nothing in the car appeared to be taken or moved. The alarm went off, which I believe scared whoever away. There's some questionable apt's behind where I work (near westheimer & gessner)....and people cut through the garage....

The nice thing is the tint held the glass together, which should make things easier to clean up. Here's some pics:

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/rearwindow/

People just really disgust me at times. I've put a lot of time into this car and it does have sentimental value.....it just makes me sick. You can't have anything nice any more. People just don't give a flying @#$ about anyone.

Sorry to rant...

Josh

[...]People just really disgust me at times. I've put a lot of time into this car and it does have sentimental value.....it just makes me sick. You can't have anything nice any more. People just don't give a flying @#$ about anyone.
There seem to be some people whose attitude is "If I can't have it, you can't have it either.". :mad:

Sorry to rant...
Venting is understandable -- I'd likely feel the same way under the circumstances.

I feel your pain... My daughter was in downtown Philly about 5-6 years ago and left her portable CD player (remember those?) on the console.

Some smack-head broke the trianglular opera glass out on the rear quarter panel of our MY95 Legacy only to find out he couldn't reach the inside handle.

Being the genius that he was, he just blasted out the passenger side window.

Stolen walkman cd player & loose change = $25

2 pieces of glass replacement = $240 (+ time)

Final cost of portable cd player = $265 (+ time):mad:

ACk.....:eek:

I am getting really paranoid about driving my SVX around.

I had some moron break the rear quarter window on my OBS a while back and stole nothing.

Hopefully no one does this to the SVX.

On a different note I scored a complete set of door windows for the car from a junkyard. So i might be ok if someone broke the front windows. :rolleyes:

BW

Justice was served one time but I still can't understand how people can destroy anothers property. 5 years ago my friend and i entered our 68 Chevell

in a car show that was sponsored by the dealership we both worked for,so the show was on the dealerships parking lot.Another guy had his Boss Mustang in the same class as ours.We spent 15000.00 making this car what we wanted,a wannabe dragger but definite show car. The other guy decided to lessen the competition by appearing to check out our car but as he did it he ungracefully ran his car keys down our perfect Pearl white paint job all the way around the car.The funny thing is that he did it right in front of security lot cameras.The guy now has another felony on his record, 5000.00 worth of damage,but he did sell his car by order of the judge and pay us for the damage. Nice to get justice but does nothing for my concioness regarding people and their total disregard for others property or space.

These days some people just don't do it and hide the fact. Just last week...

My neighbor (parks in front of me on the street) was selling her car. Well, she told everyone first come first serve. Her sister didn't like the fact that she wouldn't hold it until she could get the money, so as soon as the evil one found out that someone was coming to pick the car up she did a drive by cinder blocking right through the windshield. Then called her on the phone and said "I'm not done with you yet". The police were called and said there is nothing they can do unless they are caught on video. How crazy is that? I told her if the crazy one screws with the Subaru's the B***h is going down. I have zero tolerance for people like that.

Do you have glass coverage on your insurance? My company replaces any glass breakage for free. Then, all you would need to pay for is the tint. Good as new!:headbang:
good suggestion, which reminds me that in some states insurance is required by law to fix glass, i've only heard of it being windshields but that may be only because that's what typically gets broken. i think Florida is one state like that.

85 RX in maryland, old school soobs are rather rare in MD. and two brats too! nice. we should have been neighbors, i had about 7 XT6's, an XT Turbo, RX and three impreza's.

[...]in some states insurance is required by law to fix glass, i've only heard of it being windshields but that may be only because that's what typically gets broken[...]

I suspect it's because the windshield is probably the most safety-related piece of glass on a vehicle. Other pieces are usually made of tempered glass, and shatter when broken, but the windshield is laminated, and a big "star" or other crack obstructing the driver's vision could be a problem. The windshield also plays an important part in car-body integrity; a damaged one weakens the structure, making injury more likely in the event of a serious accident (especially a roll-over).

85 RX in maryland, old school soobs are rather rare in MD. and two brats too! nice. we should have been neighbors, i had about 7 XT6's, an XT Turbo, RX and three impreza's.

The Brats and RX stay garaged in Pa. They only come out on special occasions. :) I only have the Imp and wagon here in Md. with me.

It seems that because I drive an old Sub around here, people think it's okay to pull right out in front of me all the time. So, if I'm going to hit one of them, I don't want it to be in a nice Brat or RX. I'll hit 'em in the ol' wagon. No problem.:Flame:

I still love my wagon though. How could I not???

Being neighbors would be cool! I'm the only one around here with toys like this.:grin:

rex

I am feeling your pain. Some welfare punk threw a rock and broke my hatchback window. That was about $270 to have replaced....and I get to hear little pieces of glass rattle around for the rest of its life. Seriously, it is time to sterlize anyone who goes on welfare, it just breeds more vandals and criminals.

at least it was a door window and not one like a side rear cargo window (wagons)

had some punk shoot a B.B at the glass but thankfully like yours,i had tint and only a couple frags fell out..

real fun replacing it though.all it cost me was the time it took to do it.