Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This doesn't look good...

looks like the the vent hose from the valve cover to the air intake, but blurry enough I couldnt swear to it. if it is - new hose, easy fix.

i looked at the video, i dont see anything wrong, aside from that car needs to be in my driveway

nipper

Ah, I didn't see there was a movie, I just looked at the picture, sounds worse than it looks, chattery, maybe that 1/2 quart ATF to losen the lifters ih they're hydraulic, people keep talking about. I've never tried it but I've seen about 4 references to it in the past 2 weeks. probably need to wait for someone else, I haven't heard that noise myself.

See now i didnt know it had sound.

We make a fine pair.

Towards the end i heard what sounded like a rod knock, but its so hard to tell with directional mikes on video cameras.

Remove one spark plug wire at a time and see if the sound changes at all. If it does its rod knock.

nipper

haha yea my digicam sucks. sorry.

The whole crack case was smoking and lots of pcv. few friends looked and said they think something isnt right.

i cant find my comp tester!! ugggggggggg

It also didnt want to start and lost power. almost left me stranded at the bank.

oil is filling the small notches on top of the passenger head...which I think is coming from the oil filler cap.

also, is the oil pressure gauge supposed to read 0-5 (barley moving) at 3k rpm in 5th gear?

This thing has me worried. I don't want to replace this engine!

Your oil pressure shouldn't be that low, but that could be the sender too.

I wouldn't worry about the PCV, but a compression test wouldn't be a bad idea.

It's sad that EA82T's stink on ice, but thus is the way of the world :-\. Swap in an EJ22 - you won't regret it. The MPFI system isn't a primitive pile of junk, and they can hold fluids and gaskets - amazing!

GD

It's the sound that bothers me. Check timing belt pulleys / idler bearings. Take both aux belts off (alternator and A/C) and see if that squealy noise doesn't go away. I had a tensioner pulley go out last year. I was 40 miles away from my home town. Luckily I was only a few miles away from a Pic-A-Part. Now how would I know there was a Pic-A-Part in the area???

Because I think I know where ALL the junk yards are within a two hundred mile radius from my house, not counting the ones I know in the SanDiego area, which is 378 miles away from here!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well I'm thinking there isn't rod knock since it goes away and comes back randomly. I think something is loose.

I was warned the oil pump in these things make better coffee cup coasters than their supposed purpose and to get oem new since its updated...I didn't :-\

It did get a little hot when I had the ac on tho, but only 3/4 to the red. could that do damage? Even the oil filter was steaming/smoking! I don't know if it's oil burning off or it got so hot that its melting itself down.

Wish there was some subaru freak that can come check this thing out in person :-\

I would do an ej22, but the whole dash thing...i can do it, but....i really dont want to.

Are there any known ej22 engines being run off megasquirt ecu? http://www.megasquirt.info for those who dont know what MS.

About the oil cap. Bent the tabs on the cap in just bit to give you a better fit. The Legacy has a much better oil fill cap and spout.... Hey, I wonder if that will bolt right on to an EA 82. I'll have to post that question.

Off topic:

Corolla, I have a crippled 2wd 84 Tercel wagon sitting in my garage that needs a new auto tranny. I am going to pull one from the J-Yard. Will any similar year model tranny fit (Corolla, whatever) or do I have to use one from a Tercel?

Drivetrain has to stay the same as tercel is fwd and corolla is rwd, but the engine can be exchanged for a larger 1.6 4AC or a twincam 16v 4AGE or a supercharged 4AGZE. mmmmm mmmmmm fun fun fun! Make it 4wd! The 4x4 bits should bolt up once you get the 4wd trans. :D

on topic: No luck on finding my comp tester. This sucks :(:(

I think I'll start it and see what it does in the colder weather.

What would be the cause of a steamy/smokey crank case?

Well I'm thinking there isn't rod knock since it goes away and comes back randomly. I think something is loose.

I was warned the oil pump in these things make better coffee cup coasters than their supposed purpose and to get oem new since its updated...I didn't :-\

It did get a little hot when I had the ac on tho, but only 3/4 to the red. could that do damage? Even the oil filter was steaming/smoking! I don't know if it's oil burning off or it got so hot that its melting itself down.

Wish there was some subaru freak that can come check this thing out in person :-\

I would do an ej22, but the whole dash thing...i can do it, but....i really dont want to.

Are there any known ej22 engines being run off megasquirt ecu? www.megasquirt.info for those who dont know what MS.

Subaru Rod knock will come and go at first, then once it is there constantly, its only a matter of time before life gets really exciting for 10 seconds.

nipper

It's the sound that bothers me. Check timing belt pulleys / idler bearings. Take both aux belts off (alternator and A/C) and see if that squealy noise doesn't go away. I had a tensioner pulley go out last year. I was 40 miles away from my home town. Luckily I was only a few miles away from a Pic-A-Part. Now how would I know there was a Pic-A-Part in the area???

Because I think I know where ALL the junk yards are within a two hundred mile radius from my house, not counting the ones I know in the SanDiego area, which is 378 miles away from here!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Had the same identical problem happen to me about 4 years ago. I even took it to the dealership to get there "professional opinion" and they said it sounded like a connecting rod or main bearing. So I took it over to a buddy of mine and had him swap it out with a D/R 5spd and out of curiosity he dropped the pan. Nothing wrong. So he investigated further and found that the timing belt tensioner pulley bearing had self destructed.

The sound doesn't bother me. the smoke and stalling and leaving me stranded bothers me. thats why im backing out of the whole thing.

Wish I lived closer so I could help. The tirbo may not be the most reliable thing on the road, but they sure are a blast to drive. You know, a used imported sngine for these is cheap. I got mine for about $450, and later found out I could have gotten one little cheaper. I think the Subaru engine is one of the easiest to pull.