Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 suspension

sub_speed_559

upon reading about 40 or 50 threads i have decided to try a setup consisting of an 88 xt 2wd front strut, tein springs for a 99 up legacy, the rear shock from same year legacy with shims and a top hat from a 93 legacy for the front so that it will fit the larger spring diameter...if anyone has tried this setup or something similar let me know if it even possible.....don't want to waste my time

upon reading about 40 or 50 threads i have decided to try a setup consisting of an 88 xt 2wd front strut, tein springs for a 99 up legacy, the rear shock from same year legacy with shims and a top hat from a 93 legacy for the front so that it will fit the larger spring diameter...if anyone has tried this setup or something similar let me know if it even possible.....don't want to waste my time

Its my understanding that the 05+ legacy rear struts are almost a direct fit on an EA82. You have 99+ listed, but I am pretty sure that 05-07 is different than 99-04

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I am in process of doing something similar

i have a Tein Flex coilover setup on my EA82 wagon. it is for an 05+ legacy. the rears fit vary easy and just need the EA82 tophat added, but the bottom fit. the fronts only work if you have 5lug hubs. if you go with 2wd XT struts, you should be fine. just make sure the springs arnt to large. or they will rub the body.

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com

I don't know if 99-04 and 05+ stuff is different, but I've got 03 stuff, and it would work. but tein only makes springs for the '05+ stuff.

the front tophats are a different pattern, you'll have to do some drilling (and should do some welding to ensure strength) to get them to fit. BUT, the upper spring perch is a seperate piece from the top hat.

but the problem with the front springs is the bottom, not the top. the top is 5 mm narrower (will fit fine on EA82 upper perch), but the bottom is 18 mm wider :eek:

why do you want to use legacy rear stuff? Miata shocks will fit easier.

although, if you're not going 5-lug, the best front strut you can get are KYB GR2s. why go to the extra trouble in the rear to still be limited by the front?

IMHO, an awesome setup for 4-lug. KYB GR2s all around (non-XT fitment), and some Ground Control adjustable springs. maybe some 200 lb/in fronts and 250 rear. they don't make them for an EA82 car, but they're a generic coilover. get them for a GC (93-01) impreza, and they'll fit fine.

this will yield nice firm ride, powerful damping, fully adjustable ride height, etc. etc.

wondering if there is anyway to get the better front bits to work without actually going with a 5 lug swap. i can do the swap if i absolutely have to, but for the time being, its more than i want to do on my brat. that and i really dont know how id get all the parts for the swap, lol, xt6 rear bits are hard to come by. thankfully, i already have 5lug bits for the front but no idea where to get the rest of what i need.

no. unless you can find a way to attach EJ-series struts to EA knuckles.....or find another application that'll work with the EA knuckles....

if you have acces to a lathe and some tools this is actually quite easy to built, downside is, it will lift the suspension by atleast 60mm :dead: