Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gotta turbo legacy! **PICS**

craigslist FTW! Gotta 91 Legacy Turbo for $275.. Bad news is someone put a non-turbo motor in it (I checked the VIN plate and it is an original turbo car) Has all the other goodies though, and it's in real good shape. Only odd thing to me is it's an automatic, and I thought all 91 Sport Sedans were 5 speed?

It runs good, I drove it home, just idles like horse poop and likes to randomly rev up to 3,000 RPM :-P But it's cheaper than a WRX and the wife is happy with it (as long as I put a turbo motor in it!)

Here are some pics

TLeg008.jpg

TLeg009.jpg

TLeg011.jpg

TLeg010.jpg

Andrew, to verify if you have a turbo ECU you can run the ECU scan program. It runs on any IBM in DOS Mode, just need to wire a LPT Port into the diagnostic port on the ECU wiring.

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~v/b10scan/

I went to Radio Shack and bought the LPT Port, then mounted it in my glove box. Then i ran the wiring to the Diagnostic port and hard wired it, instead of making an adapter. The software is great and displays a ton of info... including the ECU info.

-Brian

That cars101.com doesn't have the correct info...

I had a 91 LS AWD 5 speed that wasn't turbo... I don't know if it has LSD or not, haven't checked yet.. I need to run the # on the ECU at work and see if it has a turbo ECU in it or not...

LSD was only available in '91 on the turbo.

craigslist FTW! Gotta 91 Legacy Turbo for $275.. Bad news is someone put a non-turbo motor in it (I checked the VIN plate and it is an original turbo car) Has all the other goodies though, and it's in real good shape. Only odd thing to me is it's an automatic, and I thought all 91 Sport Sedans were 5 speed?

It runs good, I drove it home, just idles like horse poop and likes to randomly rev up to 3,000 RPM :-P But it's cheaper than a WRX and the wife is happy with it (as long as I put a turbo motor in it!)

If you want to restore your turbo to it's former glory, try to source the 2.0 DOHC turbo and leave the 2.2 T alone. The 2.2 was rated at 165hp and the DOHC was rated at 200. Also try to find a 2.0 with the water cooled intercooler. They were standard in Japan, Europe and Australia (eBay might be helpful)

It's an original turbo car; the data plate on the strut tower says "EJ22Txxxx" for the engine, and it's got the notch in the crossmember for the downpipe, but yes to answer your question, mike, someone stuck a non-turbo motor in it, with none of the turbo stuff...

Hahaha, wow. Well, you did not get a turbo Legacy... but a good deal nonetheless.

If you want to restore your turbo to it's former glory, try to source the 2.0 DOHC turbo and leave the 2.2 T alone. The 2.2 was rated at 165hp and the DOHC was rated at 200. Also try to find a 2.0 with the water cooled intercooler. They were standard in Japan, Europe and Australia (eBay might be helpful)

I don't know about all this. The 2.2 was rated at 160 but makes more like 180+. Stock high mileage dyno numbers are too high and quarter mile ET's too low for an 3000 lb AWD car with only 160. Oh, and turbo legacy's absolutely destroy 2.5RS's rated at 165 hp in a lighter package. 2+2 != 5

The 2.0 is also rated for a gasoline grade that is higher than what is found at most pumps. And DOHC makes it a pain to work in the engine bay, not to mention timing belt jobs. Personally, in my opinion, it'd be better to get the original engine that runs on the correct ecu and get JDM power easily with a mod or two...

• 8 months later...

Update:

It's all together and running, just waiting on my downpipe. Don't ever buy anything from Modern Automotive Performance, yeah they have 4" Megan Racing downpipes for $179, but I ordered the damn thing in MARCH, they claim that they emailed me needing a copy of my driver's license (shipping address differed from billing address) but I never got it, (Ever heard of a phone? sheesh...) so my wife called them back, re-ordered it and just had them ship it to our house in Corvallis, and they said we'd get it in 2 to 3 weeks, wel that was like a month ago, I'm about to tell them where they can stick it and buy it from somewhere else.

th_0621081912.jpg

(click for video)

it's alive :banana: now I just need my downpipe!:popcorn::popcorn: (Right now the "downpipe" consists of a chunk of exhaust tubing welded into what's left of the original downpipe, but it just dumps to the ground right behind the front wheel since I was not able to connect it to the rest of the exhaust system)