Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for advice, lifting a 2000 OBS impreza

Smitch

I know theres a few of you guys running lifted imprezas around here. I have a couple of questions for you.

I ran into Dome24 (I know your on here to) over on RS25 asking about obx trailing arms.

petes078.jpg

Hike005.jpg

What Im looking to accomplish is a raised look for a very cheap price. Im not looking to go offroading and Im not looking to do anything irreversible. As a matter of fact Im only looking to have the car raised only in the winter. I plan on dropping back down in the summer by swapping back over struts and springs. Im not looking for any kind of 4x4 tires or anything along those lines.

Heres what Im thinking about doing.....

-forester xt springs...on the way fifty bucks shipped

-reusing my obs stock struts...just sitting in my garage

-buying a set of obx trailing arms to get my back wheel where its suppost to be.

Heres my questions........

What kind of a lift am I going to get with just forester xt springs? I will be reusing my OBS struts....I think.

Would I get more of a lift using forester struts than retaining the obs struts?

Am I missing anything, or over looking anything else that needs to be done, other than an alignment.

Heres current pics of my obs with its autox suspension.

100_2064.jpg

dsc_4497.jpg

Thanks for your time

Chris

sorry to be off topic but that obs is sick. definatly tasteful mods

is it stock under the hood or swapped?

I just bought it and put on left over, take off parts from my RS.

The only thing done to it right now are some H&R springs, kyb struts and a 20mm rear bar. I upgraded the front brake to WRX rotors and replaced the rear drums with wrx spindle/rotor set up.

heres the rs

dsc_3380.jpg

The swap is planned for the OBS around spring time....if I get it paid off.

I dont want to do coilovers on it, just something cheap and fun for the winter.

I'm planning on doing the same, just picked up some 98 Forester struts and springs to slap on my 93 L wagon.

Regarding the trailing arms though, I thought Forester lateral links were supposed to get rid of the camber issues. Do I need the trailing arms too?

I planned on using crash bolts to fix any camber problems that might arise. I have the obx trailing arms on my RS. The obx trailing arms are adjustable. If you look at the first picture of the L you will see that the wheel is a bit close to the front of the wheel well. Im hoping the new trailing arms will fix this problem.

Be sure to post up some pictures when you get everything together. Let me know if you come across any problems along the way. Im not use to lifting the cars, quite the opposite. Hopefully one of the usmb will chime in.

I planned on using crash bolts to fix any camber problems that might arise. I have the obx trailing arms on my RS. The obx trailing arms are adjustable. If you look at the first picture of the L you will see that the wheel is a bit close to the front of the wheel well. Im hoping the new trailing arms will fix this problem.

Be sure to post up some pictures when you get everything together. Let me know if you come across any problems along the way. Im not use to lifting the cars, quite the opposite. Hopefully one of the usmb will chime in.

I was just reading some of the other threads about lifting Imprezas, seems like the trailing arms could be an issue. And it seems like Forester and Impreza trailing arms are the same length. How much were the OBX arms?

Im hoping the new trailing arms will fix this problem.

problem? I see no problem. getting adjustable trailing arms (which, btw, don't look like they'll have enough adjustment to fully recenter the wheel) is about as important a part of this project as putting an intercooler on an N/A car.

the setup you have listed won't yield you much lift over stock. IIRC forester XT springs are comparable length to an impreza. but I could be wrong there.

even with just forester springs on your stock struts, you're only looking at ~1-1.5" of lift over stock.

boy that was strange opening a new thread and seeing my car, new experience for me :)

Im gonna side with Num on the xt springs being short, they are lower than a regular Forester, but still taller than what you got now, but if you use your OBS Struts they won't give you much of anything, the strut actually limits the coil a good amount, hmm that doesnt make sense

i tried OBS Struts and lowered from the Leg that were on, then i went to For Struts and For Coils, blam perfect.

I say try em and see what happens if youve got the parts laying around, but if you can get Regular Forester Coils on Regualr Forester Struts id go with that.

I still havent ordered the obx piece yet, Let me know how much adjustment you can actually get. Im actually thinking about the latereal links before the trailing arms, i think the camber is more important than the caster.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to put the XT springs on the obs struts. I got the fronts on only after compressing the hell out of them. To me the springs still dont look happy in their new stuts. The rears wont fit because I dont have the weird top hats like the forester, so it looks like Im back to the drawing board on this one.:-\

I'll probably just start over and look for complete take offs from a 98/01, unless the newer ones just bolt on too? Does anyone know???

Are they tapered like the 04 Imprezas?
that would be my guess seeing as they are built on the same platform essentially.

Yea when i put the forrester coils on the imp struts they didn't look happy at all, but once i got the longer For struts it all came together

Maybe you could try a FXT coil topper then your OBS top mount, hmm that didn't make much sense but it does in my head:lol:

these thingys

0STRUTEXpLODE2.jpg

these thingys

0STRUTEXpLODE2.jpg

Yeah, their like the 04 wrx struts. I think I found a set of 98 forester struts. We'll see. I found were one guy modified his rear strut mounts in his car to get the 04 tops to mount. I dont really want to do any cutting in the car. I really only want this for winter time. Theres a small chance that I'll be autox this car and need the option of switching back to a normal set up.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the FXT struts front and back.

I had to take a dremel and slot some of the mounting holes in the rear and then I used big fender washers to keep things intact.

Have about 3k on them, no problems.

Here is before and after

StockOBS.jpg

liftedOBS.jpg

I got the FXT struts front and back.

I had to take a dremel and slot some of the mounting holes in the rear and then I used big fender washers to keep things intact.

Have about 3k on them' date=' no problems.

Here is before and after

[img']http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j208/boswan/StockOBS.jpg[/img]

liftedOBS.jpg

I saw your pictures over on dirtyimpreza.com. I have a question for you. Are you using just the xt strut or the whole assembly (xt struts, springs and top hats)? Im assuming that you used the whole assembly because of the dremeling.

Thanks for your reply.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...