Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A day spent with the Legacy (new exhaust and car wash)

I feel lately I have been neglecting my Turbo Legacy, so this morning when I woke up, I decided to spend the day with it.

I got a cat-back exhaust from a buddy of mine. Aparently it came from a WRX or a STi or something... its just a straight pipe with a tip on it. But it sounds better than the stock muffler.

So I installed it, then decided to wash the crud off my Legacy. Looks so much better, however removing the dirt and grime revealed all the flaws in my paint :( and all the scratches and dents Ive forgotten about.

Regardless, here's some pictures :)

l_95ddcb58207f88ddd3d78e70be835974.jpg

l_be93127dd351a6702cf4e4ff56bafa9a.jpg

The New Exhaust

l_627df6a6fd75ef4336849c0136f8152c.jpg

I took the digital camcorder out and recorded it leaving the driveway and passing the house. I edited the clips together so you guys could hear the new exhaust:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KItyJur07c

Alittle loud. Kinda sounds like the car has a massive exhaust leak, but I like it better than the grandma exhaust it had on it before.

-Brian

its just a straight pipe with a tip on it. But it sounds better than the stock muffler.

All it is, is a piece of pipe welded past the CV with a tip welded to it. So, in effect, there is no muffler at all. Just straight pipe.

I got it from a friend. He ran it on his '93 impreza. It bolted right up, the hangers lined up too except for the hangers at the tip of the exhaust. Those are about 4" too short, and the entire exhaust is about 4" too short... so the tip doesnt even reach the bumper.

-Brian

Suggest adding an extension to the end of the tailpipe to make up for that missing 4 inches. Otherwise, carbon deposits will dirty up your bumper cover with black soot, and the heat may distort the plastic bumper cover over time. I know, that is what I encountered on my VW a few years back.

Yea, the engine sounds mean and great for a while, however you will want to listen to your radio or a CD, but the exhaust noise gets in the way. The extra length on the tailpipe will quiet the system down a little inside the car, but well worth it to get the best of both worlds of a sweet sounding car, and a low restriction muffler system.

Brian, small world, she looks like one of my T-wagons

(will get a picture this week) sans the RS wheels.

They are on my SS.

Nice lookin' ride!!

Funny how all three of my T-Legs sound like yours.

For some strange reason the rear mufflers all fell off

right after I got them?????**

On my SS I added a Flowtech resonated twin tip -

mellows the rumble just a bit. ~ 35 clams

59905.jpg

**Well maybe the sawzall has something to do with it??