Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'06 Outback, battery using water and 'fuzz' growing on the metal battery hold-down parts. No indication from the instruments.

Hi,

same thing here. According to my accessory voltage gauge, the alt is not over charging. I think either the battery casing is craked where the hold-down part exert a pressure on it (too tight?) or the caps are leaking.

If you find the exact cause, i'd like to know. I'll do same.

Bye!

06? for that hefty price tag i'd make subaru deal with it, a warranty was paid for, get something out of it.

otherwise have the alt tested...lots of places do it for free. next step, get a new battery and clean everything up.

I plan to bring it up when it goes for 34,000 / oil change next week. Just wanted to be armed if it was an obvious symptom. Seems like these were always an overcharging indication (from my pepper tree mechanic days).

ALSO, :-\ I thought I felt a little crow-hopping during a tight turnaround on a paved road Sunday. I haven't had a chance to do a field torque bind check yet, but I will before it goes in. And yes, tires (OEM) and inflation match.

I plan to bring it up when it goes for 34,000 / oil change next week. Just wanted to be armed if it was an obvious symptom. Seems like these were always an overcharging indication (from my pepper tree mechanic days).
they will probably argue that everything is working but sounds to me like the battery is the culprit, it's likely a tiny leakage. maybe you can find some battery sites/info on line and take that in with you, and probably much better info than i can give you. i've seen others have terminals get corroded badly and replacing the battery fixes it, but i've seen them last a long time while doing that too, just needed frequent cleaning...like when the vehicle wouldn't start anymore. pour coke on it, remove and clean, etc. would be annoying keeping an eye on it and cleaning it all the time on a new vehicle. and it can't do your cables any favors in the long run.

Altenator light only comes on for an undercharge. Whay hasnt anyone stated the obvious:-p

Take a 12.00 multimeter from radioshack and see what the battery voltage is while the car is running.

Overcharging in a modern car isnt a good thing. Depending upon how high the voltage is, some of the electronics and the bulbs wont be happy.

nipper

even over charging by a little bit will cause the fluid to boil and vaporize. the battery caps are not sealed, once this starts it will cover the battery top with a very thin coat of fluid that will start to corrode anything it gets on. I would check volt & amp output. also have the battery fluid checked for the correct mixture percentages. if it's to high, this can also cause this type of problem even with a good alt. Bret

even over charging by a little bit will cause the fluid to boil and vaporize.[...]
Normal charging causes a certain amount of electrolysis (the dissociation of the hydrogen and oxygen in the electrolyte). Overcharging increases electrolysis, elevating the temperature somewhat, but under normal circumstances to nowhere near the boiling point; the bubbles seen are mainly those of hydrogen and oxygen gas, not water vapor. Vigorous bubbling will cause venting of electrolyte. Obviously, overcharging isn't good, and charging voltage should be checked to verify that it isn't excessive. (EDIT: Gel and AGM type batteries don't outgas with normal charging, in case anyone was wondering.)

If the charging system is okay, it's more likely that the battery is suffering from sulfation. It's normal for lead sulfate to form on the battery plates as the battery discharges. However, sometimes that sulfate forms hard crystals that normal charging won't reconvert; with sufficient sulfation, the battery voltage rises more rapidly than normal during charging, and there will tend to be more venting than usual.