Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So im leaking lots of coolant... swap or fix?

Couldnt tell you from where... I know it WAS dripping fromt he turbo coolant line on the motor side, but now when it warms up itll start steaming around te turbo. Exhaust also starts steaming, and I get coolant on the front of the block where it says EA82.

so my question is should I just go find a NA EJ25, 22 etc or fix my motor? I plan on driving it till it blows up... cant afford to fix it right now

Coolant leaking is a terrible reason to justify an engine swap. If you can't afford a few hoses now, you're not going to be able to afford a motor.

Sounds like you have a few hoses leaking. There's two coolant hoses going to the turbo. One runs underneath it and goes into a metal line that goes into the bottom of the head. The other line is on the top of the turbo and goes into the T-Stat housing. Replace both of those.

There's also a little hose underneath the intake manifold and goes to the front of the motor. This you may be able to replace without pulling the intake manifold, but I could never do so on a turbo.

While you're at it, replace any other coolant hoses. Replace the heater hoses and the radiator hoses.

As long as you haven't overheated the motor from lack of coolant, you'll be fine. I do not suggest driving it though until the leak gets fixed, then you will blow the motor quickly.

• 4 months later...

my wagon is doing this right now . . . traced it to bad intake manifold gaskets, it's leaking at the junction of the manifold and the block, right down into (and out of) the spark plug area below, and then onto the exhaust . . .

gotta get that fixed, and the OEM gaskets are only $4 at Napa, Felpro's are impossible to get (f.y.i.)

i can smell it , and see the small pool on top of the block, but cant see the source.

starting to use a little more now so getting worried.

there's intake manifold gaskets on top - they have shared coolant passages running through them as well.

thermostat housing and throttle body hoses. then there's usually a number of tiny hoses as well carrying coolant - one close to the thermostat and some buried.

finally spotted the leak. one of the little hoses going into what i think is the thermostat housing.

tried to cut out the bad part but was then just a little too short to reattatch snugly.

what size/type hose is this ? looks like a lot of other hoses the same size in that area so i might as well pick up extra.

what size/type hose is this ? looks like a lot of other hoses the same size in that area so i might as well pick up extra.

Make sure to use actual coolant line. Unfortunately not all places have it in 1/4" or 5/16" I forget which.

in a pinch, Trans cooler line works pretty well.

Low pressure Fuel line works OK, but cracks from heat over time. The High pressure FI fuel hose is a bit better but spendy.

Definately Not vaccum or evap line.

Yeah - sadly the OEM stuff is metric, so you'll not easily be finding spools of it around the US.

As G says above - fuel line is the ticket. Generally 1/4" or 5/16". It will take the heat ok as it's designed for mechanical fuel pumps attached to the block.

Don't skimp on the clamps or on the sanding cloth to clean up the nipples. Aluminium Oxide "mechanics cloth" is awesome for that type of work. Or a media blast cabinet :grin:

GD

Car Quest carrys the best selection of hoses.

They have All type of hose in all sizes.

some of my favorite of the hardest ones to find include:

5/8 Evap hose:clap: for PCV

5/16 Coolant line. :clap: for small coolant lines, I bought 20 feet when I found they had it.

3/4 trans line for EA82 Turbo oil return :headbang::clap: :clap: :grin: