Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys.

I haven't been on in a while. Been pretty busy with school.

Anyway, I recently had the Turbo only coolant reservoir on my Legacy break and i replaced the hose and got a WRX reservoir.

It worked great for two weeks and then I blew another hose going to the turbo. Actually it was the plastic spacer in the middle of those hose connecting the turbo/reservoir.

I made a new hose using brass fittings and did a much cleaner job this time through, however I can't get it to take coolant now. I replaced the thermostat and still will not take coolant.

I finally took it to a friend who has a shop just because hes giving me a good deal, i trust his work, and i dont have the tools or shop to fix it. He said he let the car run for a while and his conclusion is that there is a major air bubble in the system and he says its most likely in the heater core and that hes going to have to get to it when he has more time. He said while he highly doubts it, it could be a blown head gasket.

Any suggestions on whats going on??

Well don't know if it pertains to your car but have seen many Subarus where you have to bleed the air out in a certain way,namely getting the front end up in the air and basically burping the system. I wouldn't discount what your buddy is telling you,it can be a royal pain in the butt,but at the same time just raising the front end off the ground may burp your baby.We can go more indept if needed.

I seem to recall something about the legacy turbo's not haveing a bleeder port for the top of the radiator?? Anyway a lot of folks pour the coolant into the upper radiator hose to back fill the engine and then fill the radiator. You could fill the heater core this way as well to make sure each part of the cooling system is nearly full before tightening it all up. On the non-turbo radiators there's a plastic air-bleed that is removed from the top of the radiator on the passenger side (near the upper hose) to facilitate air removal while filling.....

The closed-deck nature of the EJ22T block makes them harder to fill as the coolant passages are smaller.

GD

I seem to recall something about the legacy turbo's not having a bleeder port for the top of the radiator??

Mine doesn't..................

But, if you put the car up on a pair of those el-cheapo ramps, it should fill fine, I know mine does.

I seem to recall something about the legacy turbo's not haveing a bleeder port for the top of the radiator?? Anyway a lot of folks pour the coolant into the upper radiator hose to back fill the engine and then fill the radiator. You could fill the heater core this way as well to make sure each part of the cooling system is nearly full before tightening it all up. On the non-turbo radiators there's a plastic air-bleed that is removed from the top of the radiator on the passenger side (near the upper hose) to facilitate air removal while filling.....

The closed-deck nature of the EJ22T block makes them harder to fill as the coolant passages are smaller.

GD

I will tell my friend this information so he knows knows. I've tried the ramps already and it didn't work

I'll tell him Monday and see if I can just work on it there.

I will tell my friend this information so he knows knows. I've tried the ramps already and it didn't work

I'll tell him Monday and see if I can just work on it there.

You can try pulling a LIGHT vaccum on the system, then fill the cooling system.

nipper