Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MT noisy in all gears - any oils or add. I can use?

Im picking up a solid 1 owner 94 Legacy 2.2L 5MT tomorrow.

Its just one of my many buy and sell subarus.

The tranny has never given the PO any problems and the clutch is 2 years old.

It wines in all gears but goes into all gears without any crunches or grinds.

It has been whining like this for about a year.

Im gonna swap out the fluid when I bring it in for inspection and tuneup before it goes up for sale.

Any recomendations as far as gear oils and or additives to use to help quiet that bad boy down.

These trannies will go for days with the whine so thats really of no concern to me.

Id just like to help queit it down and change the fluids for the next owner.

RedLine MT90 is what you want. I discovered it 3 years ago on the TwinTurbo.net forum (1990-1996 Nissan 300zx owners). There are 100's of Z owners who had noisy trannies, and those that had gear grinding problems that simply disappeared or were dramatically improved after replacing the gear fluid with the MT 90. When I first got my 1954 MG the tranny was a bear to shift and noisy to the point that I gave thought to rebuilding it. After finding the acclaims on the 300ZX forum about it, I decided to drain the MG tranny and give it a try. The tranny now (it is after all 53 year old technology) makes no noise at all, is much easier to shift, and I seldom grind a gear unless I hurry things. The specs on the bottle also say that it won't corrode bronze synchronizers, important on my old car but maybe not necessary on a more modern unit. No, I don't sell the stuff, but I am very pleased with the results it gave me.

I put the redline 75w90NS in my wagon's trans to help with the cold weather shifting (which it did big time) and one of the side benefits is that the tranny gradually made less noise. I also put an ounce or two of autorx in there as well. It is one of the nicest shifting tranny's I've ever owned now.

-Doug

Scotty's Cocktail. It's AWESOME. My 94 GT shifts like new..... maybe better.

1 Qt Redline Lightweight Shockproof

1 Qt Pennzoil Syncromesh

2 Qt Castrol Hypoy-C 75w90

A ton of folks at legacycentral have used it, and I have to say that I'm a convert. I've tried just the plain Redline synthetics, but there is no comparison between them and the shockproof. Before I changed the fluid I was getting some slight grinding after warm-up, and couldn't go into 1st above 5 or 10 MPH. Now I NEVER get a grind, and can hit 1st at over 25 MPH rolling.

There's also concern that using plain MT90 will eventually cause front diff damage to the Subaru transaxles. Unlike other manual transmissions, ours have an integrated hypoid differential. MT90 isn't a differential oil, and doesn't contain the required sulfer. Thus the Hypoy-C in the cocktail.... besides this works better than MT90 hands down. The shockproof is some really crazy stuff - it's bright blue in color too! About $10 a quart same as the MT90, but the other components are cheaper - $4.99 for the Castrol, and $6.99 for the syncromesh here.

GD

Did you AutoRx it with the Redline or before it then drain?

I did it before and after the drain, so there's some in there right now. The shifting has gradually improved since I put the new fluid in, we're talking over the course of spring and early summer. So I am assuming the redline helped in the cold weather department and the autorx helped the shifting, because it cleans very slowly.

-Doug

1 Qt Pennzoil Syncromesh

Does anyone know what retailers sell this stuff? I stopped at Advance Auto last night and found that they didn't have any of this stuff. In fact, they didn't have any gear oil that I thought was all that great, so I walked out without anything.

Im still trying to figure out if my tranny mount is bad?

How much play should there be in the mount?

Just replace it. It will feel like its made out of Nerf material. Group-N tranny mount you can't even flex from standing on it (at least I couldn't with my massive 150 lbs).

Pep-Boys had the Pennzoil, and the Castrol...

Any Redline retailer can order the shockproof. Baxters Auto Parts here carries it, and there's a few other places the carry Redline and could get it if I asked.

But yeah - this isn't a one-stop shopping experience trying to find this stuff unless you don't mind paying an assload in shipping :mad:

It's WORTH IT though. Trust me. You won't beleive it's the same tranny. A guy at Legacy central actually had his father ask him if he swapped the tranny or had it rebuilt.... that's how different it feels. Feels like a new car every time I drive mine :grin:

GD

Ive seen this recipe all over the place and many people have done it but has anybody had any bad experiences with the mix?

Oh yeah , no Pep Boys in salem.

I read all the threads on Legacycentral I could find, and lots more on Nasioc. Not a single report of any problems. And there's lots of modified turbo guys over there so if anyone was going to find it they would. Even lots of WRX owners are using it as they find that after only 20k or 30k they start to get grinds on fast shifting.

135k, and 14 years on my Legacy's MT - it was grinding when shifting fast from 1 to 2. Not bad, but I could feel it. And I couldn't get into 1st without being very careful while rolling.

Maybe in the end it will shave a fews tens of thousands of miles off the life of the front diff, but really what's smooth shifting worth to you? And frankly is grinding the syncros to dust any better of a failure than having the front diff grenade at 300k? I know these things will last for 500k if you baby them but I don't own an AWD 5 speed so I can baby it! Screw that - I want it to shift awesome and feel amazing right up till it blows the ring & pinion right out the side of the case! When I'm done with the car I want it to be "all used up". Used tranny's aren't that expensive anyway.

GD

www.grimmspeed.com carries all of them.

It turns out that Grimmspeed even put together the cocktail mix to save you a couple of bucks. Shipping is $15, though, so I'm not sure the tradeoff is worth it. In the end I was tired of look.

Do you guys mix the cocktail before putting it in, or just put it in directly from the bottles and let the tranny mix it up for you?

It turns out that Grimmspeed even put together the cocktail mix to save you a couple of bucks. Shipping is $15, though, so I'm not sure the tradeoff is worth it. In the end I was tired of look.

Do you guys mix the cocktail before putting it in, or just put it in directly from the bottles and let the tranny mix it up for you?

Wish I had known that last week. Oh well, its ready to go in. I mixed it all up in a 1gal container and bought a pump. Results will be posted next week:headbang:

• 1 month later...

1 Qt Pennzoil Syncromesh

A ton of folks at legacycentral have used it, and I have to say that I'm a convert. I've tried just the plain Redline synthetics, but there is no comparison between them and the shockproof. Before I changed the fluid I was getting some slight grinding after warm-up, and couldn't go into 1st above 5 or 10 MPH. Now I NEVER get a grind, and can hit 1st at over 25 MPH rolling.

There's also concern that using plain MT90 will eventually cause front diff damage to the Subaru transaxles. Unlike other manual transmissions, ours have an integrated hypoid differential. MT90 isn't a differential oil, and doesn't contain the required sulfer. Thus the Hypoy-C in the cocktail.... besides this works better than MT90 hands down. The shockproof is some really crazy stuff - it's bright blue in color too! About $10 a quart same as the MT90, but the other components are cheaper - $4.99 for the Castrol, and $6.99 for the syncromesh here.

GD

Hey GD,

My 94 Legacy MT is noisy, very noisy. I'm going to try Scotty's Cocktail. Unless something even better has come about since oct? Please give me a heads up if there's something else I should consider.

Thanks,

Al:headbang: