Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Really upset.

cd45

I replaced the intake manifold gaskets today. The old ones didn't look too bad but, I figured they were cheap and easy and might be part of the problem I am having with the Brat smoking. Filled hole in manifold under the carb with JB Weld, made sure everything was level, and smooth. Put the manisfold back on, and torqued it the way the book says too. When I pulled the old ones off, there was RTV all over the edges. I put the new ones on dry, just like the book says to. Got everything back together, filled the radiator back up, let it idle for a few minutes and checked for leaks, no leaks. Drove it around the block, plenty of power, almost no hesitation. Pulled back in the driveway and there was a little bit of smoke.

Then it started stalling out real bad, so bad it died. Restarted, and idled fine. Now it smokes like I am pouring anti-freeze down the carb. I have run out of ideas.

My brat did the same. When we took the manifold off all the coolant dumped into the cylinders took about 15 minutes for it to quit smoking. Just waited for it to clear up and everything was fine.

While your at it, make sure you didnt forget to hook any vacuum hoses back up, its easy to do.

You did use OEM gaskets, and torqued the bolts to 12 ft/lbs yes? Make sure all traces of old gasket was gone (I use a wire wheel chucked into a drill motor)?.... clean bolts and chase threads?

..... just eliminateing possible hickups.

Perhaps pop the carb loose and make sure the JB weld is still in place. At least that's easy to verify. Did you have to use multiple applications to fill the hole or did you use some screen to keep it from oozing down into the passage? JB can be a pain if it's on an angle or trying to fill something like that where gravity becomes an issue.

GD

Turbone, yes it is AT. Thanks, I will try that some more today.

Well, that might be your problem!

The vacumn modulator on the tranny could be bad and is pumping AT fluid back up into the intake. Pull the vacumn line from the tranny off the intake manifold and see if there any fluid coming out. If so, thats the culprit.

Pulled the line, no fluid. I did drive it, and then let it idle, and no smoking. I took it out around the block again, the other direction this time, and it started smoking when I did a left turn. Not from a stop, but in a long tight curve. It quit almost immediately. When I got home, I drove it in a tight circle to the left twice. It smoked for about 2 minutes, and then quit again. I am almost there, can't wait until I get to drive it farther than two miles.

Connie, it has the Weber on it, and there is nothing in the air box. Thanks for asking. Cob, I think I will keep it a while longer but, I will keep you in mind. Fixing to go out and drive it again, just to see if it does it again.

Update. I drove it arounf the block again, and this time no smoke. I will drive it again later to see if it does it then. After this, all I have to do is the rear bearings, they are starting to make noise, even on the dirt roads only doing 35 MPH. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks everyone. This place still rocks.