Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gasket sealer?

I am putting newly machined heads onto my EA-81 and the FSM says to apply three bond 1201 to both sides of the head gasket. Is this a must? I'd prefer not to use the stuff if not necessary. What's the cons of going without. Sorry, first head job on a subie, I've rebuilt Honda Cycle motors and never used any sealant on the head gaskets.

Well, I found a Permatex product, Indian Head Gasket Shellac Compound, that seems to fit the bill. If I'm barking up the wrong tree, someone better tell me fast 'cause mantling is going down in T minus 9. Thanks!

Josh

Whoa, had to look this up. Didn't know this was still out there, a gasket sealer from way back. If I remember right, Indian Head is the brand name, not Indian, Head Gasket shellac. Don't do it.

http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_sealants/Permatex_Indian_Head_Gasket_Shellac_Compound.htm

Edit: It appears this is going to be an experiment then. I know this is frustrating for you. That shellac IS hard setting. The heat range isn't up to par for sealing a combustion chamber. Throw in the thermal expansion properties of aluminum and I think this stuff will crumble and fail. It's just a question of how long, a question of when, not if. Could be a costly experiment in time and money.

Well, guys. Not your fault but you didn't respond fast enough. I had to work on the car last night as I noted in the initial post. I waited an hour for a response, didn't get one and thought that was a good sign. I didn't think I needed sealant either but the gd effing FSM said to use one and that's what got me thinking about it. I have fel-pro perma-torques. Also, no where in the perma torque box is anything about sealant or no sealant mentioned. So, last night, the head gaskets went on with a thin coat of Indian Head Gasket Shellac. I hope, as you stated GD, that it doesn't cause another blown head gasket.

Josh

As I recall, you bought the Permatorque head gasket kit. I've never bought one of the kits, just the single head gaskets, and on those there is a small "use no sealer" notation.

Remember, FSM rules apply to OEM gaskets and parts only- doesn't apply to aftermarket parts that have had 20 years of R&D since the FSM was published.

Depending how much reassembly you did, I'd take it back apart and put new ones in. A lot easier to do it now than to have to redo the whole job if they don't hold. The gaskets are only about $15 each (for EA82 anyway- can'd imagine they'd be much more for the EA81).

Andy

well josh be sure to let us know how it goes if anything does happen. i would bet it takes 10,000 miles or so to show up.

Well, I spoke with Terry & Rick at CCR today and they don't see the Indian Head having any adverse affects on the perma-torque gaskets. So, we'll see. I'm going to stick with it for now and see how it goes. Thanks for all your input guys. I'll be sure to give you a 10k update!

Josh