Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Today's project *EJ->EA Modified Flywheel pics*

Numbchux

did a clutch and oil pan (rusted through...) job today:

PICT3426.jpg

PICT3427.jpg

and thought I'd post a few pics of my modified flywheel. I did this myself with a dremel, did not have the holes welded shut, or the wheel balanced. I've never noticed any vibration, and I've easily put 15-20k miles on it since I started driving it about a year ago.

PICT3428.jpg

you can see the outline of where the bolts were. notice the bolt circle is a bit wider, and some of the holes are offset a bit:

PICT3429.jpg

here's the 'nub' on the back of the engine that keeps the flywheel centered, the EA flywheel fits snug on this, so it's not possible to have it anything but perfectly centered:

PICT3430.jpg

w00t! 'new' oil pan!

PICT3431.jpg

so basically you made the holes bigger towards the outside. was it trial and error until you got he correct pattern

little bit, just take the EJ flywheel or flexplate, hold it up to the EA flywheel...and see where it doesn't line up.....and then make it line up.

you can use the thin sheet metal spacer from behind the flexplate as a pattern.i have several if anyone needs one.i have also been "on the wagon" of doing this mod yourself.and people just do not want to listen.all of the unbalanced issues that one hears of are from vehicles without the little "nub" (being the end of the crankshaft).just silly.and if i have not broken a bolt yet from torque, it will not happen.there is no jarring motion.

you can use the thin sheet metal spacer from behind the flexplate as a pattern.i have several if anyone needs one.i have also been "on the wagon" of doing this mod yourself.and people just do not want to listen.all of the unbalanced issues that one hears of are from vehicles without the little "nub" (being the end of the crankshaft).just silly.and if i have not broken a bolt yet from torque, it will not happen.there is no jarring motion.

I agree that the flywheel modification can easily be done at home with basic tools.

However, making the actual adaptor plate is a bit more sticky IMO because of the need to very accurately center the input shaft to the pilot bearing. Otherwise you risk causing damage to the pilot bearing, or the input shaft bearing. So far, the only adaptor plates I *know* of that properly take this into account are the ones made by rguyver as his are made by CNC with this alignment specifically addressed. Others might be accurate as well, but I don't have any knowledge on those.

GD

Good to see some photos of this. As you would know I didn't do this with my EJ conversion. Is it alright if I use those images on my site mate?

Cheers,

Phiz

of course! as always ;)

I agree with GD. the flywheel mod is an easy home mechanic project....but the adapter plate is money well spent!!