Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81+Torquer cam+SPFI= ?

newsoobdude

I'm redoing the motor on my Brat and am thinking of putting in a Torquer Cam from Delta to make for power for the 5 inch lift that's going under it. Question is, I'm also converting the EA81 to SPFI and was wondering what the Torquer cam will do with the stock Subie Computer. I've been told that on the EJ series cars that replacing the cam with a "non-stock" one that I'll need a different ECU. What about the EA series??? I'm not familiar with FI and engines for the most part so any help would be appreciated. I know I'll need the Disty modified but other than that I'm lost.

it should be fine, by the time you build the ea81 up, it will be putting out close to the same hp that the ea82 had. that and the spfi adjusts to things like open exhaust and intake, so it should adjust to the different motor

+1... the SPFI is a simple stupid computer. If it's running without an O2 it will run a strict preprogrammed fuel map, but with the O2 it can mod that map and change to what it needs to be with-in range of the fueling capabilities of the injector... which shouldn't be a problem for you.

that sounds like a cool setup, how much does a regrind end up costing? what size tires, like 28s or 29s? do a 5 speed with xt6 clutch while your at it, or you might end up doing it in the future for the better gearing of the 5 speed and holding power...

i've got 28s and i use 5th every day! :banana: sometimes i maintain my speed, but sometimes i actualy start going backwards:mad:

that sounds like a cool setup, how much does a regrind end up costing? what size tires, like 28s or 29s? do a 5 speed with xt6 clutch while your at it, or you might end up doing it in the future for the better gearing of the 5 speed and holding power...

i've got 28s and i use 5th every day! :banana: sometimes i maintain my speed, but sometimes i actualy start going backwards:mad:

Talking with Delta, it's $65 + shipping for the cam, no core charge, so I'm guessing no more than $85 TOTAL.

I have a 5spd D/r I'm thinking of throwing in, but I'm unsure as of now. If I remember right, isn't the XT6 flywheel a "light weight" flywheel compared to a regular EA82? I'm building this Brat for hauling my bike and fun off roading, nothing major (I have an EA81 Wagon for that that I'll be building next [EJ, 8" t-case lift, LSD front/ Lincoln rear]). Since I live in the foothills I probably will put the 5spd in, then look for another 5spd D/r (or single range, modify to full time for the Wagon). I'm thinking 28s so I don't have to do too much trimming with the 5 inch lift I'm going with.