Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'85 Brat Front Height Adjusters

casm

Having been spurred on by this thread and figuring that since I both own and can operate a 21mm open-end wrench, I decided to play around with cranking up the Brat's front suspension earlier. I'd been soaking it down in PB Blaster for a few days and thought I was ready to go when I noticed something interesting.

Here's the driver's side; pay attention to the spring perch adjusters, and click for a larger view:

img_0089.jpg

I'm guessing that that looks normal. OK, now here's the passenger side (again, click for a larger image):

img_0090.jpg

So after having sat there going 'WTF?' to myself for a few seconds, I'm assuming that the adjusters have been sheared off (probably due to rust) at some point on the passenger side. Marvellous.

Has anyone run across this before? Is there some secret way of replacing them that won't be a complete nightmare for one guy in a driveway with hand tools? I figured I'd try to grab a set from the next junkyard car that I see since the local dealer (assuming they can even get them anymore) are total jerks.

Thats pretty weird, there seems to be something more to your dilemma the incomplete side is missing the rounded spacers as wellas the studs. I think if you dig into the rust you might find that they were intentionaly modified maybe some kind of shabby repair these struts are still available I bought a pair last year about $80 per and I have seen them on ebay for much less. if you go the junkyard route you would be best off getting the whole unit ie: spring and strut as you would need a spring compressor kit to remove and replace the spring. A lot of hassle for less than 1" of lift but that passenger side may not be entirely safe.:dead:

I think if you dig into the rust you might find that they were intentionaly modified maybe some kind of shabby repair

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this were the case. I've found a lot of stuff that was done right on it, but some other things that flat-out weren't.

these struts are still available I bought a pair last year about $80 per and I have seen them on ebay for much less.

Cool, good to know. Any idea what brand they were, and did they include the adjustable spring perches or are those a separate part?

if you go the junkyard route you would be best off getting the whole unit ie: spring and strut as you would need a spring compressor kit to remove and replace the spring. A lot of hassle for less than 1" of lift but that passenger side may not be entirely safe.:dead:

Agreed on both counts. I've had some handling weirdness on the right-hand front since I got it and was figuring it was probably ball joints, but this is giving me some food for thought. Been a while since I've owned a front-drive vehicle, so my diagnostics in that department aren't as great as they once were ;)

The top picture shows an aftermarket strut and the lower picture shows a OEM strut. On the OEM strut, the studs will be above the lower spring seat.

Just went down and double-checked this; it is definitely the case. Thanks!

sorry to hijack the post but can someone explain witch end is up, what i mean is do you crank the nuts down to go up with the front end or visa versa??

Up/Down has no relevance - it's a nut, and those are tightened or loosened. For this application you loosen the nuts to drive the spring perch upward and increase the suspension height (counter-clockwise looking down from above the car). That goes for stock strut casings..... that crazy aftermarket one in the above pictures I have no idea about as I've never encountered one myself.

This however leads to poor camber, and the tires will wear severely on the outer edges if left this way for on-road travel. It's only supposed to be done off-road for the extra height (about 1").

GD

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this were the case. I've found a lot of stuff that was done right on it, but some other things that flat-out weren't.

Cool, good to know. Any idea what brand they were, and did they include the adjustable spring perches or are those a separate part?

Agreed on both counts. I've had some handling weirdness on the right-hand front since I got it and was figuring it was probably ball joints, but this is giving me some food for thought. Been a while since I've owned a front-drive vehicle, so my diagnostics in that department aren't as great as they once were ;)

Just went down and double-checked this; it is definitely the case. Thanks!

you learn something new every day both of my old struts were like the top picture I had assumed they were original equipment but I geuss not the adjustable height nuts come equipped as long as you get the ones for the 4wd dont remember what kind but any parts store should still be able to tell you. If the right side is still original equipment that may be the weirdness you are experiencing pretty old for a strut.

Cranking the front up shouldn't make the tires wear bad and shouldn't change the ride except make corners feel a little different. And I do mean only a little.

I did that to my RX every winter and never had a problem. Give it a try.

You do want to make sure your struts match though. At least your aftermarket has adjusters. The aftermarkets a p/o put on my wagon don't have any adjustment at all.:-\

The top picture shows an aftermarket strut and the lower picture shows a OEM strut. On the OEM strut, the studs will be above the lower spring seat.

+1

Glad someone else caught that

The thing I always think of when I see a one strut only replacement is possibly a wreck. Or at least a curb hit from understeer in the snow bending stuff in the front end.

Jacking the front end up will shorten front tire life span. As GD said this is only for temperary service and should be brought back down to normal as soon as possible. Also puts extra stress on DOJ boots.

What do you mean by "tempory service"? Where did you get that from?

IF jacking it up a whole 1" changes the camber that much, it would also change the toe. IF that were true then you would just need an alignment to keep the tires from wearing "severly". As I've said before, I've never had a problem with any of my cars so maybe some do and some don't.

casm, just try it and find out for yourself. Is the rear of the Brat still adjustable? Make sure that's all the way up too.:headbang: