Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So long GL...

Yesterday, after a month's research and flip-flopping, I took the plunge and am now the proud owner of an '02 WRX Wagon. I only had my 83 GL sedan for a month but that month saw a new CV joint, water pump, thermostat, head gaskets (with machined heads to boot) and two radiators (don't ask). Staring at the brakes, additional CV joint, steering rack, tires, heater blower and power window relay that all needed done ASAP, I threw in the towel. I fought a valiant fight with this car and lost. :dead: The car went to the dealership with only 110k miles and fetched me a trade of $700. :banana: I don't normally like dealerships but I got the WRX for a song and am only the second owner. Car has factory service records and decent mileage. It has a few cosmetic blemishes but nothing I can't fix. The good - heat, working windows, AWD, more power & a slice of sex appeal. Thanks to all of you (GD especially) that helped me through the head job on my GL. You'll still see me around, my '77 wagon's goin' nowhere and I've always wanted a car project that wasn't my daily driver! :lol:

Josh

Yesterday, after a month's research and flip-flopping, I took the plunge and am now the proud owner of an '02 WRX Wagon. I only had my 83 GL sedan for a month but that month saw a new CV joint, water pump, thermostat, head gaskets (with machined heads to boot) and two radiators (don't ask). Staring at the brakes, additional CV joint, steering rack, tires, heater blower and power window relay that all needed done ASAP, I threw in the towel. I fought a valiant fight with this car and lost. :dead: The car went to the dealership with only 110k miles and fetched me a trade of $700. :banana: I don't normally like dealerships but I got the WRX for a song and am only the second owner. Car has factory service records and decent mileage. It has a few cosmetic blemishes but nothing I can't fix. The good - heat, working windows, AWD, more power & a slice of sex appeal. Thanks to all of you (GD especially) that helped me through the head job on my GL. You'll still see me around, my '77 wagon's goin' nowhere and I've always wanted a car project that wasn't my daily driver! :lol:

Josh

Well at least you stayed Subaru. I did the same, I bought an Outback and still have a 82 gl and 87 RX

Yesterday, after a month's research and flip-flopping, I took the plunge and am now the proud owner of an '02 WRX Wagon. I only had my 83 GL sedan for a month but that month saw a new CV joint, water pump, thermostat, head gaskets (with machined heads to boot) and two radiators (don't ask). Staring at the brakes, additional CV joint, steering rack, tires, heater blower and power window relay that all needed done ASAP, I threw in the towel. I fought a valiant fight with this car and lost. :dead: The car went to the dealership with only 110k miles and fetched me a trade of $700.

Well - at least you tried. It's not easy to ressurect something that has been abused for 24 years. But look at it this way - it was STILL on the road. That's an acheivment for an 83 these days. I see mostly EA82's in the junk yards because most of the EA81's have gone to the crusher by now. The cost to keep them on the road has exceeded their value in the marketplace for all except the Brat's.

It's best to not tackle something on the far side of 20 years old if it's your only car. Heck - I've got three aging 20+ year old Subaru's and NONE of them are my daily drivers. They could be of course, but for various reasons they don't fit the bill - either too costly to drive daily (lifted, etc), or too valuable to rack up miles on (Brat's). And my Legacy is just more comfortable, has better commuting drivability, better heat, better power, better sound system (bone stock I mean), and all around it's nicer to pick up friends in, and nicer to be seen in. Not that I mind driving my Brat, but it's got no room for passengers, and it's a "rough" ride without power steering or AC, etc. With the cost of early gen Legacy's now easily under $1000..... I just don't see a reason to torture myself with the driveability of the EA series. They have their place, and their purpose, but for a commuter?.... not in my book.

I commend you for your efforts, but an 83 wagon at this point has no real value other than for parts or to off-road till it turns into parts. Sounds like you got a decent trade in (as long as they didn't just stick that $700 onto the loan ;))

GD

seems many of us are finally moving up to the new gen stuff for DD and keeping something old gen for the "project" Good choice on stepping up to the 02...Did you get a good warrentee?? Man, I am loving mine.I think thats the best feeling...NOT having to work on the car if something brakes for a change...sending it off and letting someone else do it..on someone elses dime too.:banana: I did the same thing..went and bit the bullet..got an 08 Imp 5 door and kept my 88 XT6 for the "toy". Just didnt want to mess with anything around that 15 year or older for a DD.

Now you can devote more time and effort to your 77 and not worry about the DD:)

man i wish i could do that. i love my older cars to death but im worried that the constant driving keeping up with everyone els on the road is gonna kill them. but i guess i can say i have moved up as well yesterday i wheeled and dealed and got an 89 coupe :) not quite new gen but im getting there.

Well - at least you tried. It's not easy to ressurect something that has been abused for 24 years. But look at it this way - it was STILL on the road. That's an acheivment for an 83 these days.

It's best to not tackle something on the far side of 20 years old if it's your only car.

+10 for the normal bit, + a billion for the bold part.

restoring a daily driver is an exercise in futility, and you wind up asking yourself why you are sitting here polishing this terd so much, but never revealing the diamond within.... 'Tis better to park and repair, than drive and despair.

Well - at least you tried. It's not easy to ressurect something that has been abused for 24 years. But look at it this way - it was STILL on the road. That's an acheivment for an 83 these days. I see mostly EA82's in the junk yards because most of the EA81's have gone to the crusher by now. The cost to keep them on the road has exceeded their value in the marketplace for all except the Brat's.

It's best to not tackle something on the far side of 20 years old if it's your only car. Heck - I've got three aging 20+ year old Subaru's and NONE of them are my daily drivers. They could be of course, but for various reasons they don't fit the bill - either too costly to drive daily (lifted, etc), or too valuable to rack up miles on (Brat's). And my Legacy is just more comfortable, has better commuting drivability, better heat, better power, better sound system (bone stock I mean), and all around it's nicer to pick up friends in, and nicer to be seen in. Not that I mind driving my Brat, but it's got no room for passengers, and it's a "rough" ride without power steering or AC, etc. With the cost of early gen Legacy's now easily under $1000..... I just don't see a reason to torture myself with the driveability of the EA series. They have their place, and their purpose, but for a commuter?.... not in my book.

I commend you for your efforts, but an 83 wagon at this point has no real value other than for parts or to off-road till it turns into parts. Sounds like you got a decent trade in (as long as they didn't just stick that $700 onto the loan ;))

GD

Thanks for the good words. There is absolutely nothing more stressful than doing major work to keep your daily driver on the road. Not to mention, it takes all the fun out of the project when you must have to have it done to punch the clock Monday AM. My vintage Honda motorcycle has always been my side project and for a while it was a daily driver which, for the first time ever, made working on it a drag. That's okay. The GL served its purpose.

And I negotiated the car price before I mentioned a trade. :cool: I also got new tires out of the deal. :banana:

seems many of us are finally moving up to the new gen stuff for DD and keeping something old gen for the "project" Good choice on stepping up to the 02...Did you get a good warrentee?? Man, I am loving mine.I think thats the best feeling...NOT having to work on the car if something brakes for a change...sending it off and letting someone else do it..on someone elses dime too. I did the same thing..went and bit the bullet..got an 08 Imp 5 door and kept my 88 XT6 for the "toy". Just didnt want to mess with anything around that 15 year or older for a DD.

Now you can devote more time and effort to your 77 and not worry about the DD

I did get a good warranty. Some may call me a sucker, but I bought a 2 year, 24k extended warranty. I got the car for a song and peace of mind goes a long way for me.

man i wish i could do that. i love my older cars to death but im worried that the constant driving keeping up with everyone els on the road is gonna kill them. but i guess i can say i have moved up as well yesterday i wheeled and dealed and got an 89 coupe :) not quite new gen but im getting there.

Congrats my friend! Yeah, these old gens will go 60 and 80 but they don't seem to like it all that much!

+10 for the normal bit, + a billion for the bold part.

restoring a daily driver is an exercise in futility, and you wind up asking yourself why you are sitting here polishing this terd so much, but never revealing the diamond within.... 'Tis better to park and repair, than drive and despair.

+20

Besides, if you polish a turd too much, it'll melt.

Does that mean im one of the few on this board left that actually daily drives a car thats 25 years old? Its reliable and gets good gas milage. Of course now that i said that its going to break down on me :dead:

I put 60+ miles a day on my '82 Brat... had the alt go out the other week but replaced it at 3:00 in the morning so I could make it to work the next day... Sure it was cold but hell, I had fun!:grin:

seems many of us are finally moving up to the new gen stuff for DD and keeping something old gen for the "project" Good choice on stepping up to the 02...Did you get a good warrentee?? Man, I am loving mine.I think thats the best feeling...NOT having to work on the car if something brakes for a change...sending it off and letting someone else do it..on someone elses dime too.:banana: I did the same thing..went and bit the bullet..got an 08 Imp 5 door and kept my 88 XT6 for the "toy". Just didnt want to mess with anything around that 15 year or older for a DD.

Now you can devote more time and effort to your 77 and not worry about the DD:)

Yeah.... my daily driver is still the '89GLwagon, but I admit I've been tempted by various 90's legacies or imps recently -- and one of my coworkers just bought a '05 Saabaru this week -- the 2.0 turbo sure is nice..... the 89 is still going fine too, but has 230k on it now... how much longer? I'd miss the low range though (yes, I do tend to use low range in daily driving...)

For 7 years I had a 30+ yr old car as my DD. I can relate to the tales of a "rolling resto" You CANNOT restore a car while you're driving it & do it any justice. Due to circumstances beyond my control, my Pinto is being put back into DD status.

For a 30+ yr old car it does pretty well on the road, but there's just no way it'd keep up on the interstate!

You CAN use an old car as a DD, you just have to REALLY love the car to do it. :headbang:

Man, I miss my '73 Pinto 2.3L 4speed, bought 2 of them for $100.00 in '84, made one good one out of both, (sigh).

But yeah, driving my '86 BRAT 64+ miles everyday is not really the best for it. Thinking of a newer ride, Wife even thinks so, just not sure on what to get. All of the BRATs will stay, just want "newer" ride, definetly a Subaru, something '02 or newer...

But yeah, driving my '86 BRAT 64+ miles everyday is not really the best for it. Thinking of a newer ride, Wife even thinks so, just not sure on what to get. All of the BRATs will stay, just want "newer" ride, definetly a Subaru, something '02 or newer...

Maybe this is the "young bachelor economics" coming out, but in my mind you're shooting after something too new for your "mileage" vehicle.... My opinion is that you might be better off looking for a FWD (for economy; if you need traction more than "florida-boy" here then whadevah :) ) early legacy, and keep it running with junkyard spares....BUT, as I said, that may be mostly difference in perspective.. The whole "wife" thing is also something of an alien concept to me as well, so what I am saying is I can see where you could be justified in immediately shooting my idea down. I just wanted to throw it out there for your consideration as much as anything else.

Since I stepped up big time ..here is some advantages of going new/newer for DD.Less worries about break downs,dealer support, warrentees, spending more time actually driving and enjoying the car then repairing it, peace of mind, actually being able to get parts without looking to hard.

I can say it is SO nice not having to worry about things anymore...it feels so good to work on my car because I WANT to not cause I HAVE to.Its also nice cleaning out my stash of "just in case" parts and reclaiming my garage..getting rid of that mini junk yard look ..Now having the time to actually work on my dirt bike again..or to restore my XT6 the right way instead of always just trying to maintain a DD.

On a side note..I get to see what my Imp is like in bad weather today..sleet ,freezing rain, and snow:banana: and I am actually looking forward to it:grin: