Ultimate Subaru Message Board

BEST OBD2 Diagnostic scanner ????

What is a good OBD2 Diagnostic scanner that can be used with my Laptop computer ? I see ESCAN is rated one of the best out there, but it cost to much for me. Some on ebay for around 50 bucks? But not sure if they will work with my 98 Outback 2.5 . Not interested in the hand held , perfer the ESCAN type. Something less than 100 bucks? :grin:

OBDII is standardized, so any OBDII scanner will work. I've always been curious to know what the difference between the expensive scanners and the cheaps ones is.

I picked up a cheap handheld one at Harbor Freight for $40. It returns a code and I look it up in the manual that comes with it.

There are 3 basic OBDII scanners.

1. The El-Cheapo: These scanners cost about $40. They blink the code with an led, which you read, then look up in a book.

2. The mid-range: These cost $70-$120. These have a basic one line screen that displays the code(s) in alpha-numeric order. You then look these up in a book

3. The super-scanners: These cost $199-$1200. These scanners read, and interpret the codes, giving you the code, and it's cause. They can also read ABS, Stability, chassis, Hvac. THey typically use cartridges, or can be upgraded via downloading new software. Included in these are PC, or PDA based code scanners.

the best really depends on how/why you intend to use it. The average car owner can scrape by with an El-Cheapo. The more advanced owner can use the functionality of the mid-grade, as it can be used in a running diagnostic mode. The Master Tech, shop owner needs the super-scanner. They need to deal with all aspects of various cars.

There are 3 basic OBDII scanners.

1. The El-Cheapo: These scanners cost about $40. They blink the code with an led, which you read, then look up in a book.

2. The mid-range: These cost $70-$120. These have a basic one line screen that displays the code(s) in alpha-numeric order. You then look these up in a book

3. The super-scanners: These cost $199-$1200. These scanners read, and interpret the codes, giving you the code, and it's cause. They can also read ABS, Stability, chassis, Hvac. THey typically use cartridges, or can be upgraded via downloading new software. Included in these are PC, or PDA based code scanners.

the best really depends on how/why you intend to use it. The average car owner can scrape by with an El-Cheapo. The more advanced owner can use the functionality of the mid-grade, as it can be used in a running diagnostic mode. The Master Tech, shop owner needs the super-scanner. They need to deal with all aspects of various cars.

Mid-range is good. I have one of these that I bought specifically while chasing a code following a long-block swap. But I have used it numerous times on other cars since then.....totally worth it.

• 3 months later...

there's another thread recent thread (1 month or so) about this, i used it to purchase mine.

i think mine was $30...$40 tops and it shows the code and what the code needs. it's awesome...portable, simple, and no need to look anything up. well worth such a small amount of change.

i was going to go the laptop route too, but i'm glad i didn't. i've already used it a couple times and it's much simpler to carry that little thing out there than the lap top. i still may get a lap top version though just for kicks.

I have a 'sophisticated VW/Audi' setup for my laptop. This also includes ODBII.

I have lots of other stuff on my laptop so it doesn't go out in the cold.

When chasing a cylinder 3&4 misfire this spring I broke down and got a cheapie for 50 bucks on Ebay (with shipping). The same yellow one at the auto parts & Sears for 75-80. You have to look up the code in the book, or on your computer(they give you a CD). It is small enough to fit into the pocket of a coat which I found nice.

The slightly better(and more expensive) readers won't fit in my coat pocket.

Typically I'm looking for more of a possible explanation of a cause and troubleshooting that the readers seem to provide so I end up on the web anyways either here, Google, Endwrench, wherever.

I needed the expensive VW one for my TDI. I like my cheapie.

Dave