Ultimate Subaru Message Board

possible lightweight hatch class for EA82 coupe.

s'ko

I was looking at my RX and the rear hatch of a 1991 Integra.

I couldn't help but notice how similar they look. I researched and found some overall measurements for the RX and the Integra and they are pretty close.

RX: length=174.6 Width=65.4, height=53.4

Integra: Length=172.8 Width=66.73, height=52.16

Does anyone have measurements they can take of the rear hatch window for the Integras? Summit racing sells a plexiglass window and if they are close in terms of size, maybe it will retrofit to the RX.

I am shooting to lose about 200 pounds from my RX.

BW

Plexi is pretty easily formed with a heat gun. I'd think you could get a sheet of plexi, the use a heat gun to form it over the original rear window.

Hey... thats a pretty good idea........... I could do that for my Datsun.... Hmm. I could do that for my Datsun, and SELL them!

A very hearty THANK YOU. And humble, to boot.. I should have put two and two together on that subject a LOOONG time ago..:rolleyes:

Hey... thats a pretty good idea........... I could do that for my Datsun.... Hmm. I could do that for my Datsun, and SELL them!

A very hearty THANK YOU. And humble, to boot.. I should have put two and two together on that subject a LOOONG time ago..:rolleyes:

If you have a piece of glass outside of the car, you can use clamps and then get it to fit really nice. I have a set for SVX door top windows I might try and replicate.

BW

If you have a piece of glass outside of the car' date=' you can use clamps and then get it to fit really nice. I have a set for SVX door top windows I might try and replicate.[/quote']

If you can find a pair for each side (or a pair of rear windshields etc) then you could sandwich the plexi between them and then clamp. Would probably help limit the waviness

I do not want to burst anyone's bubble - Plexiglas or not

But I work with a lot of "plexi" in the sign industry.

To form a sheet as large as you are talking takes an oven.

Any disproportionate heating as with a high temp heat gun will cause waves

as the portion not being heated will cool quickly.

Sk'o has the right idea - buy it formed and make it fit.

If it is plexi do NOT use a jig saw to cut it.

A band saw is a must.

Also

If you have to drill it there are special bits for plexi.

Now if you want to get serious I recco

polycarbonate

(some people wrongly refer to this as "lexan"

all "lex" is polycarb but all polycarb is not lexan - GE trade name)

Polycarb when bent cold will retain the bend - plexi just breaks.

Plus polycarb is shatter resistant.

Good luck guys by all means give it a try.

Don't know what plexi or polycarb is selling for now

but me bets it ain't cheap.

so here is the website for the actual manufacturer

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/flexite-molded.html

I note that it says it's lexan not plexiglass.

They will also form custom glass for a price. You need to supply them w/2 pieces of glass (non-returnable) and they will make 10 of them. I sent them an e-mail for price per unit. Depending on the price, I might be willing to donate my rear window. Their factory is in Milton, WA so we could get the meet up at WCSS10 and get the two pieces together and sent to the factory. OR... if we did it before then, we would have the glass picked up and distributed at WCSS10. That would save a ton on shipping and handling

here's a question: how much does your glass window actually weigh? will you actually be saving enough weight to make a significant difference? or should you just make bowel movements compulsory before entry into your car!

here's a question: how much does your glass window actually weigh? will you actually be saving enough weight to make a significant difference?

not sure exact numbers. I am talking about the rear hatch glass on an RX coupe.

RX1afterA.jpg

I don't think it's going to be 15-25 lbs. It's more like 50-60lbs. I guess I can do a rough calculation of weight savings. I found another site that makes lexan windows and a 1/4 inch thick square foot of lexan is 1.56 lbs. the same for glass is 3.2 lbs.

or should you just make bowel movements compulsory before entry into your car!!:lol:

I don't know about you but I think I would die if I pooped out even 10 lbs of weight.:dead:

I don't think it's going to be 15-25 lbs. It's more like 50-60lbs.

Really? I'd guess a little lighter than that..... anyway, I'd weigh it up first to make suere you aren't spending all that money on saving 10kg or something.... you'd be better off running your gas tank a little emptier!

sounded like a fun question so I had to see if I could get it. I measured the window (roughly) and assumed a density of 2.5g/cc for glass.

thickness=.6cm

width=122cm

lenght=91.4cm

volume=6690cc

mass=6690cc*2.5g/cc=16.73KG or 36 lb

sorry, i just noticed this is NOT the original question :(

sounded like a fun question so I had to see if I could get it. I measured the window (roughly) and assumed a density of 2.5g/cc for glass.

thickness=.6cm

width=122cm

lenght=91.4cm

volume=6690cc

mass=6690cc*2.5g/cc=16.73KG or 36 lb

sorry, i just noticed this is NOT the original question :(

pretty close i think.

using your figures for the size of the window, I take it as width- 4 feet

length- 3 feet.

I am assuming that you measured the curve of the glass.

that's 12 square feet of glass. at 3.2 lbs per square foot, you get 38.40 lbs.

the lexan is 1.56 lbs per square foot for 1/4 inch glass and .95 lbs for 1/8 inch glass. There is also and extremely thin .092 inch glass for rear windows only at .78.

The weight would be 3/16-19.68 1/8-11.40 .092-9.36

anywhere from 20lbs to 30 lbs of weight.

so if the lexan is 200 plus you are looking at 10 bucks per pound saved.

that's equivalent to driving around with 3 less gallons in the gas tank. Hmm.... shorter range, 200 plus dollar rear window.....

BW