Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check engine light with depending where I fill-up

Hi,

About 6 months ago my check engine light would come on periodically the day after I filled-up and would stay on for a couple days before going off again, I had it checked for codes several times, I can not remember what the code number was but everyone kept telling me it was the gas cap that was not put on properly. I am very careful when putting on the gas cap, and have since bought a new one. In the last 2 months my check engine light has been on almost constantly, until about 2 weeks ago when I filled up at a different station (Petro Canada instead of pioneer). My check engine light went off the day after I filled up and has not come back on since (I have filled up there about 3 times). Now I noticed that Petro-Canada uses some sort of fuel additive for cleaner emissions in their fuel...

So Bad fuel vs good fuel or is there something going wrong with my car (Forester), and the new fuel I am using is just a temporary fix?

two :)

where did he get it?

also what exactly is the code

Where did she get it... :)

I got the gas cap online, OEM part, I can not remember the code, every time got it check though, they always said it was nothing serious and I probably didn't tighten the gas cap enough. The new one I put on about 1 month ago.

Thanks,

Denise

Dear Madam;)

Just this week I was in a Subie dealership where a customer was receiving instructions on the facts of life regarding gas caps.

The tech reminded her to tighten the cap until she heard it click three or four times.

This is obviously not a gender specific issue;) as gas caps show no overt signs of discrimination.

Hope this helps.

Dear Madam;)

Just this week I was in a Subie dealership where a customer was receiving instructions on the facts of life regarding gas caps.

The tech reminded her to tighten the cap until she heard it click three or four times.

This is obviously not a gender specific issue;) as gas caps show no overt signs of discrimination.

Hope this helps.

yes and with how often I fill up, I have got it down to a fine science :lol:

Most likely an evap related code. Yes a loose, or bad gas cap will cause these. I can't see where varying where you get gas would though. Remember though, I'm not familiar with things in Canada.

Which was my first thought...but then I noticed a sign on the pump that says they put some sort of additive in their gas for cleaner emissions...oh well if it works then that is a good enough reason for me :clap:

It could be related to exactly when the auto fuel filler clicks off. My dad found that with his '96 OBW, it would give a check engine light if he put extra little pump of gas in after it clicked off, but not if he just let it shut itself off. My theory is that perhaps he was flooding the charcoal canister system by overfilling it or something like that.

It could be related to exactly when the auto fuel filler clicks off. My dad found that with his '96 OBW, it would give a check engine light if he put extra little pump of gas in after it clicked off, but not if he just let it shut itself off. My theory is that perhaps he was flooding the charcoal canister system by overfilling it or something like that.

This possibility occurred to me. It is not only possible, it's quite plausible. However, I found it more convenient at the time to be a smart-aleck! :P

Sorry! :)

Well so much for my fuel theory, My check engine light came on today on my way to work grrr:mad: As for the over flowing of the fuel that has me thinking...I do not put any more fuel in my car after it clicks, mainly because if I do it over-flows right away. I wonder if this might be the problem...

For some reason with this car when the fuel pump clicks off it means litterally no more gas will go into the tank...

Well so much for my fuel theory, My check engine light came on today on my way to work grrr:mad: As for the over flowing of the fuel that has me thinking...I do not put any more fuel in my car after it clicks, mainly because if I do it over-flows right away. I wonder if this might be the problem...

For some reason with this car when the fuel pump clicks off it means litterally no more gas will go into the tank...

But when had you last filled up the gas tank?

But when had you last filled up the gas tank?

I last filled up my tank on Saturday... This is the first time that I have filled the tank all the way up since my check engine light went off a couple of weeks ago. When my check engine light comes on it usually does the day after I fill up.

So possibley it is a problem with how much fuel is going into my tank? Is there something that could be wrong causing it not to trigger that the tank is full until it is full to the point that you can't possibly put anymore in without it overflowing?

Did you pull the codes? Chances are it will be evap. The evap system on these are fairly simple. Chances are it might be the fuel filler tube.

Pull back the sheild for the fuel filler tube....actually take it off and throw it away, and check the filler tube for major rust. The sheild just catches a ton of mud and road dirt and holds it against the tube acting like a sponge. It just rotts the neck away, especially at the bottom turn in toward the tank.

As for the over flowing of the fuel that has me thinking...I do not put any more fuel in my car after it clicks, mainly because if I do it over-flows right away. I wonder if this might be the problem...

I expect this is the problem, and it's triggering an evap control system MIL. Sadly, I know little of the system such that I can't make any useful suggestions.

I've had a similar experience with my '98 Forester. The dealership replaced the evaporative cannister. The light was off for awhile but came back on. I was told there is a sensor on top of the gas tank that was faulty. It would cost $500.00 to fix as they have to remove the tank. I decided to live with it for the time being.

I had to have the emissions check done in early Sept. and it passed (as usual). The service manager said the fault could be intermittent and wouldn't affect the emissions test. The light stayed off after this service until I was driving back from vacation later that month.

Other than having the bright yellow symbol blazing from the instrument panel (which is particularly annoying at night), I've heard that when the light comes on the engine management system defaults to a certain setting and it seems that the gas mileage is affected(?).

Other than having the bright yellow symbol blazing from the instrument panel (which is particularly annoying at night), I've heard that when the light comes on the engine management system defaults to a certain setting and it seems that the gas mileage is affected(?).

No, it depends upon the sensor. The O2 sensor will use its default (ie open loop) settings. The pressure transducer your talking about has no effect on anything except the ozone layer.

Some sensors there are no default parmieters, like the cam crank psotion sesnors, hence why the car wont run if they go bad.

nipper