Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hard Starting below 10degrees

I've searched the forums and it seems that the throttle body might be the issue I'm dealing with,but I wanted to get everyones opinion from my exact situation. The car has trouble starting when it dips below 10 degrees, it will turn over so it seems to me to be a fuel issue. After I've started it and it has warmed up the car will start fine, but on first start up I have to gas it with the key pretty hard to get the car to fire up. Any ideas of what I can do to make this start easier since I don't want to be stranded someday. Would cleaning out the throttle body be the answer? or a new fuel filter? seafoam in tank? Thanks in advance guys.

daniel

two votes for the coolant temp sensor. How come? Just trying to learn.

The CTS tells the computer what temp the engine is at - if the computer thinks the engine is warmer than it really is, it will not engage the cold-start enrichment and will not provide enough fuel for cold starting. More fuel is required as the cold cylinder walls will cause condensation of the atomized fuel and will reduce the mixture to an unburnable state unless a richer mixture is used to compensate for this effect.

GD

Offhand do you know of a cheaper CTS sensor than autozone ($100). Online is fine. I was looking at partsbin but it said it was turbo only I assume they work across different car lines.

Daniel

The MPFI/Turbo one has the same thread as the SPFI, and ouputs in same range. Different connector style though. It uses a Bosch/JECS standard Fuel injector plug, which you could buy and wire in.

However...... this is a therory that it will work, I don;t know of anyone who has done it.

Offhand do you know of a cheaper CTS sensor than autozone ($100). Online is fine. I was looking at partsbin but it said it was turbo only I assume they work across different car lines.

Daniel

Before you go buying CTS's, check the connector to it for corrosion. And check the resistance range of the sensor. If you still need one, find a used one at the junk yard. If you can't find one there, they are about $40 at rockauto.com.

GD

• 3 weeks later...

I am working on a 1990 loyale with similar probs. it starts cold when I give it gas then idles super low 400rpm roughly 2 minutes later idle jumps up to over 3000 rpms then gradually proceeds to sink back down to 1500 rpms or so till fully heated then idles proper.

I believe it is IAC (idle airflow solenoid) or the CTS unsure yet, I'm still working on it, let you know when I know for sure.

both these items are very pricey 100 and over 300 from autozone. crazyness