Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How did you break your first Subie??

My first break was destroying my front cv halfshaft on my 87 EA82 while hauling my screaming wife (in labor) to the hospital. I put it in 4wd and got there on the rear. Lucky for me, it was still under warranty and I did`nt happen to deliver my son in the car.

First break...Mom's 1987 GL Turbo, doing 4wd burnouts when I was 15... Grenaded the tranny... Amazingly, didnt break anything else. (it was previosly abused.)

Most memorable break... My wifes 88 RX, while we were dating.. She blew a head gasket, I fixed it for her, Then I popped the engine... Crapped a rod through the top @ about 8,000rpm. I was gonna fix it again, and her dad said no, he'd had enough of this juvenile delinquency and was not going to allow a "boyfriend" to abuse his daughter's property any more.. He then proceded to dig a large hole with his backhoe, plunged the bucket through the car, installed the car upside down in previously mentioned large hole, and covered it up... Sad, sad way to see an RX go away. <<< True story...

I have since found another Identical 88 RX, literally like 30 vin # off the first one, got it just for her cause she loved that car, and she didnt want it... so it's MINE now!!

First subie I broke, was my 1990 Loyale. I was 18 and was mudding out on my buddies farm with a couple trucks. They were all amazed how well that little Subaru went through the mud. It only stopped when the ruts got too deep. I went hammer down through some rough stuff, and the car stalled halfway through. Looked under the car and I somehow ripped the fuel pump assembly off of its little shelf. Dragged it into the barn and ziptied the fuel pump and shelf back onto the car. Drove for another couple months :)

First Subaru I broke? My dad's old 86 3-door. Rusted to pieces, I fixed the t-belt to get it running again, beat the snots out of that car. Learned to drive manual on that car, learned how to correct slides in that car, learned all sorts of valuable lessons on that one. Backed it into a tree, the tree was about 3" in diameter, and right in the blind spot on the drivers side. It crushed the corner of the quarter panel, luckily didn't touch the hatch, but the side of the car was rumpled up over the wheel well and around the rear quarter window.

My car, hit a tree sideways doing 4wd drifing in the snow. Overcorrected and let off on the throttle, car went out the other direction, off my driveway, and into the tree. Second incident was hitting a stump wheeling in the woods and bending a raius rod and the body where it mounts. Third big event was hydrolocking the EA82 at like 4,000rpms. RrrrrrrrrCRACK..... gurgle gurgle. That night sucked. Got it running again, then hit a rock on the way out so hard the engine ripped the hoses off of the radiator and the steering column bent on the engine bay end. Ran that motor occaionaly for a few weeks before the EJ22 went in.

Broke it, the timing belt snapped like a week after I bought it :-\

Killed it... miles miles miles and revving it up to 5500 or so getting on the freeway when the engine was not fully warmed up going home from work.... something in the engine broke and it rattled like crazy.... parted it out since the suspension bushings were shot, the engine now had issues, brake fluid was disappearing, the title was salvage from being hit by someone and it kind of smelled like pizza inside :lol:

my hatch broke several times.... both front axles went (was a fwd), then the water pump went, then some fool drove into the front of it at my college parking lot. insurance took care of that, i bought the car back from them, then proceeded to drive it into a light pole right after i fixed all the front end damage.

oh well, that was quite a few years ago now.........

the only other thing that's broken on any sube i've ever owned were wheel bearings.

Well...I did a Subaru summersalt with a half twist. I was on a back road highway in a snow storm that was wet, slushy snow. I hit a pile (going way to fast) and lost it and it went for the ditch which (thankfully) had four feet of snow in it. The '81 Hatch dipped in, rolled, then went end over end while spinning and landed on its top. Race car driver I know said if it wasn't a Subaru I would have been killed. It flatened the roof took out all the glass and the back of my seat collapsed so that I was laying down beind the steering wheel. Check THIS out....I had a guy pull me out and I DROVE it home! Fixed it and it's still running for a guy here in Wisconsin. Oh....I rolled my wife's Brat too....:burnout:

Fox

1978 4wd wagon. Rootbeer brown. That car went everywhere. Everything from following lifted 4x4 trucks until they got stuck and then driving around them with a beep beep to jumping it 25+ feet in the air multiple times (what a BLAST)off the dunes in Long Beach,Wa. It finally siezed up at the George after a Styx concert. It started up and ran fine for 10 seconds and just stopped. My dad came over and towed me home to Marysville,Wa with a 20 foot piece of rope tied to the pushbar. 6 hrs. of holding down the brake to keep the rope tight at 40 mph with no sleep made me never want another Subaru for a long time. I'm happy I got over that now. I still miss that car. Frank (fshnidiot)

Well...I did a Subaru summersalt with a half twist. I was on a back road highway in a snow storm that was wet, slushy snow. I hit a pile (going way to fast) and lost it and it went for the ditch which (thankfully) had four feet of snow in it. The '81 Hatch dipped in, rolled, then went end over end while spinning and landed on its top. Race car driver I know said if it wasn't a Subaru I would have been killed. It flatened the roof took out all the glass and the back of my seat collapsed so that I was laying down beind the steering wheel. Check THIS out....I had a guy pull me out and I DROVE it home! Fixed it and it's still running for a guy here in Wisconsin. Oh....I rolled my wife's Brat too....:burnout:

Fox

I dont suppose you have a pic of the carnage?

Actually...I think my friend that's a body man and did the repair work DOES have pix of that car. He did a great job...couldn't even tell it was wrecked. In FACT...I had already traded it in and waited 4 weeks for my new car and when I brought it back to make the switch they put it right on the front line. No one got ripped off though...a friend of mine bought it that knew it had been wrecked.

Fox

Was compacting our newly layed gravle on our driveway and the car slipped off the edge. This was in my Brat (Brumby.) I stuck it in 4WD and slid further down onto a tree trying to drive out.. an hour and a half later we got it out with a hand winch and ever since the bottom half of the door has been rippled and dented. Sad, but it just adds to the cars impression.