Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4EAT won't shift out of first - install a switch to make it shift?

after this little escapade that's what i've come to realize, you could leave the harness unplugged and hook up whatever comibination of switches equals 1st or whatever combination of switches equals 2nd..etc. if i am going to drive it for awhile it would be a good idea to power duty solenoid C if i can figure out what kind of voltage it's supposed to be at.

anyone think the FWD switch is entirely negated with the trans harness unplugged, that would be the easy way to "disable" the 4WD. i don't have my FSM with me.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[...]anyone think the FWD switch is entirely negated with the trans harness unplugged, that would be the easy way to "disable" the 4WD. i don't have my FSM with me.
All the diagrams I've seen show the FWD "switch" connected to an input on the TCU; that, of course, would mean that without the TCU, the switch/fuse doesn't do anything.

According to endwrench, unplugging the trans harnesses puts the trans in failsafe mode. The AWD is engaged as it indicates turning a front wheel by hand with it in neutral will make the rear wheel turn as well.

The problem I can see with switches is the TCU controls most of the solenoids with varying duty cycles from 5% to 95% at 50Hz; a switch can't really mimic that (unless you're fast!); maybe that's already been addressed in this thread.

According to endwrench, unplugging the trans harnesses puts the trans in failsafe mode. The AWD is engaged as it indicates turning a front wheel by hand with it in neutral will make the rear wheel turn as well.

The problem I can see with switches is the TCU controls most of the solenoids with varying duty cycles from 5% to 95% at 50Hz; a switch can't really mimic that (unless you're fast!); maybe that's already been addressed in this thread.

darn, and I was thinking of putting in paddle shifters for my 4eat and a tranny cooler:headbang:

• 1 month later...

first of john needs to chill

bit aggresive there with the "DUHS"

not every one here gets this chit

but let me add my 2cents

i know limp mode is 3rd, i am surprised nipper didnt add that

i bet when you unhook the tcu

u get third and reverse+AWD

you get this when the tcu fails, wiring fails, or the trans has a bad issue

with tcu disconected the FUSE is useless

i think with that xt6 tranny you might want to try a different tcu

for chits and giggles