Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Overheating again

Hey Everyone, Happy Holidays!

So I'm driving up from Oregon to NW Washington last night on I-5 and my 84 GL starts to overheat. I pull over add water, put a patch with some hose tape on the leaking (read spitting) heater hose, replace the NAPA brand thermostat that I never trusted with a dealer t-stat I had as a spare and hit the road again. But problems continue.

Here are the symptoms: Radiator uses water to the tune of a half gallon every 120 miles. The radiator cap remains cool, even when the engine temp is 3/4 of the way up on the meter. The dealer t-stat only made the engind run slightly cooler. It is odd but I can remove the cap off the radiator when she is hot and it doesn't shoot a geyser of coolent everywhere. Doesn't seem to have pressure in that part of the radiator. I haven't been able to identify any more coolent leaks, the tape patch I put on the heater hose appears to be holding for now. It is also funny but the heater blows cold air after about 5 minutes, and the engine temp. goes UP when I use the heater!!

The oil seems okay, no froth or obvious signs of water. Its at the same level, minus normal use (about a half quart every 300 miles)

Oh and to make the drive more interesting, RedRat (the sube) starts missing really bad and loses power and I barely get her off at a rest area. Anyway, I tinker around, basically not doing anything, and she starts back up with difficulty after 10 minutes and goes for 30 miles until that situation repeats itself. I get another 10 miles until I start missing again, and this time get to a gas station and add a couple bottles of gas treatment, which seems to help a lot becuase I make all the way to bellingham from tacoma without losing power. Although my throttle is alternating between being normal (1000 idle), being stuck wide open (fun in the Chuckanuts at 3am and 6 inches of slush on the road), and being on the verge of dying. I think I got some bad gas and need a good carb cleaning. I hope thats it at least.

RedRat was not happy last night.

Let me know what you guys think about my fun coolent situation. Think I should swap the radiator and the hoses. Is it possible to have the radiator flushed under pressure at a shop? Why the heck would the engine temp. RISE when I turn the heater on?

thanks for listening to my story, and enjoy the low snow levels!

-dan in bellingham (finally!)

You have bigger problems. It sounds like a blown HG. The blown hose, the loss of heat as the car gets hotter, the water consumtion, the cold radiator.

I would suggest a compression test and a test for exhaust gasses in the radiator. Also a pressure test on the cooling system. Sometimes these tests are not conclusive, but your so far down that road it should fail something.

Start the car with the cap off. Top off the coolant. Look for bubbles in the coolant. Wait for the t-sta to open, there should be a surge of coolant. Wtach for more bubbles (top off if needed).

Bubbles are bad.

good luck

nipper

Here are the symptoms: Radiator uses water to the tune of a half gallon every 120 miles. The radiator cap remains cool, even when the engine temp is 3/4 of the way up on the meter. The dealer t-stat only made the engind run slightly cooler. It is odd but I can remove the cap off the radiator when she is hot and it doesn't shoot a geyser of coolent everywhere. Doesn't seem to have pressure in that part of the radiator. I haven't been able to identify any more coolent leaks, the tape patch I put on the heater hose appears to be holding for now. It is also funny but the heater blows cold air after about 5 minutes, and the engine temp. goes UP when I use the heater!!!

Engine temp goes up when you turn on the FAN because of the higher amp draw on the circuit that the gauge is hooked to.

Sounds like you are burning coolant. Time for head gaskets. At least they are easy on the EA81's.

GD