Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rain gutter trim?

all 3 of my EA82s that came stock had the trim (the PoopenVagon didn't, but it had been heavily modified before I got it...), but the loyale didn't have the rear hatch part.

I've removed it on all of them. they look great without. and it makes it much easier to securely attach a roof rack.

all 3 of my EA82s that came stock had the trim (the PoopenVagon didn't, but it had been heavily modified before I got it...), but the loyale didn't have the rear hatch part.

I've removed it on all of them. they look great without. and it makes it much easier to securely attach a roof rack.

The black piece on the rear hatch as well? Or just the rain gutter trim?

The black piece on the rear hatch as well? Or just the rain gutter trim?

now that I think about it....only the '85 and '86s had the rear gate piece. I broke out the rear window on the '85 pretty early on, so ended up using a loyale hatch. and the '86 is now running a hatch from an '88 for the same reason. I'm really not sure what's under it.

now that I think about it....only the '85 and '86s had the rear gate piece. I broke out the rear window on the '85 pretty early on, so ended up using a loyale hatch. and the '86 is now running a hatch from an '88 for the same reason. I'm really not sure what's under it.

Thanks man! I plan on painting anyway, so I can just swap out the rear hatch for newer, and get rid of all the rain gutter trim @ the same time:banana:

I have been debateing this. I have an 88 dl with the rain gutter trim and its all bent up and scratched. I have been wanting to take it off but am leary of what it will look like underneath. So you say y dont you just take it off. Well the thing is i have bad carma i mean REALY bad carma. If i take it off and dont like it i wont be able to get it back on i know i wont. So just curious of someone has done this before and has some pictures of it.

Just a thought

Ben

I'd love to see pics of a EA82 wagon without the trim on it... Chux??

Could be a good cheap thing to do to change the wagon up for the upcoming show season...

I'm doing an 88 with virtually all of the excessive trim removed. This includes the side tailgate trim - which requres filling some holes with bondo. Also, will be painting painting the inner door frames body color (instead of matte black). This is a different look than the Loyale, and drastically more stripped down than the GL.

Depending on how you treat the bumpers, the end result is could be "retro" (bumpers painted black), contemporary (body color), or cutting edge (contrasting gray like the current cross-overs).

Another trick is to use Loyale era window trim for the rear glass trim. This allows glass installation without the ugly adhesive - which necessitates some of the rear window trim. Check out a Loyale to see if this look appeals to you.

good luck, John

ok, I'm going to try to dig up as many pics as possible....

started out on my '85. my yakima crossbars were about a foot or more longer than necessary, so while navigating a tight trail through the woods, this happened:

IMG_0649.jpg

more of the '85

3242PICT0012.JPG

my lifted '88 (which, now I see did have the rear gate piece...):

3242PICT0668.JPG

PICT1795.jpg

PICT1775.jpg

PICT0193.jpg

the loyale:

PICT3427.jpg

PICT3398.jpg

PICT3317.jpg