Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Howdy, I'm going to help my buddy replace the water pump in his '96 Legacy EJ22. I haven't done it before and don't have a manual for his car, so I have a couple of questions:

A. OEM or Aftermarket parts?

B. Can this be done w/ engine in the car and w/o re-setting the timing belt? (Someone told me to clamp the timing belt)

C. Is there an online manual for this engine that describes this procedure? If not, what manual should I buy?

D. Just to check, no special tools will be required, right?

Thanks,

- Noah

non-interference engine so that's a really good thing. for non interference motors i do not mind installing after market parts if the person needs to save bucks. i like to stick with subaru for the belt though.

look for the endwrench (subaru's site) article on timing belt replacement. lots of info here, there and elsewhere.

hard to say - what's the mileage and history on this car, that makes huge difference.

i'd get an ebay kit with all new timing belt tensioners and pulleys. the existing ones are over 10 years old now.

most suggest subaru for the belt and water pump. subaru belt is super nice because it has the marks on it to help line things up.

Hi! In response to your lettered items:

A: The Subaru water pump and gasket isn't all that much more than aftermarket ones if you buy from a Subaru dealer who sells parts online.

B: I'm not sure you can do this job without removing the timing belt. You'd have to look at it I guess after getting the crank pulley out and timing covers off. Also not sure if the LH cam sprocket needs to be removed to get the water pump out; it might be a little easier with it out.

C: http://www.alldatadiy.com has the procedure. It's fairly straightfoward though. Might be something free on http://www.endwrench.com I can check.

D: No particular special tools are required here; the hardest part is probably getting the crank pulley bolt out and tightened. I just did this job on a '96 EJ22 auto trans and there is that convenient access point sort of under the throttle body where a pry bar can be jammed to block the crank from turning. I have pics if desired. If LH cam sprocket has to come off you need some way to hold the sprocket; the easiest I have found is the Subaru special tool but there are alternatives.

If LH cam sprocket has to come off you need some way to hold the sprocket; the easiest I have found is the Subaru special tool but there are alternatives. Please forgive the hyjak, but its all good info! A question here, has anyone here on the board used the starter bump to break loose the crank AND cam bolts when doing cam seals

g.

Some people say they loosen the cam sprocket bolts before removing the timing belt; not sure how well that works.

I coughed up and bought the sprocket holder since I plan to use it many times:

camholderinaction-sm.jpgcamtool.jpg

On '96 2.2L I just did, cramming a small prybar in this access hole worked very well for loosening and tightening the crank pulley bolt.

blockcrank-96-1.jpg

forgot to answer a couple things:

yes - you can do all of this without removing the engine. actually a timing belt/water pump job on subaru's is rather easy - it's all up front, there are no access issues at all.

plan on resetting the timing marks on the cams and crank. once you read the instructions you'll realize how easy it is. line up the marks on the cams with the marks on the timing covers and then the mark on the crank sprocket with the mark on the engine. three marks all lined up - install the timing belt and you're done, easy.

no special tools required.

The CAM pulleys DO NOT have to be removed to replace the water pump. But the belt MUST come off. I don't know how you can 'CLAMP' it.

Also the lower left toothed pulley will have to be removed as this is attached to the water pump housing.

Here's a thread with some pictures of a 2001 Forester. It may be a 2.5L and have the newer tensioning pulley, but the proceedure is the same.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=14416

Here's a good Endwrench URL:

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/2.2SingleOverWin01.pdf

Excellent! AFIAK subaru.spx.com is the source everyone gets the subaru special service tools from, even the $$$$$$$ Select Monitor III

They will not sell the Select Monitor III to anyone with out a "dealer code". Only dealerships can buy that from Kent Moore:mad:

But anyone can buy one from Blue Streak Electronics:grin:

If you have a extra pair of hands availible you can stick a couple of screwdrivers in opening of cam pulley another in betwween those and have helper man the breaker bar. Rube -goldberg but works for me! I would replace oring on oil pump too after all that tear down effort. The 0rings get hard and leak. <$1 part

The trick is removing that tightener and compressing with vise and pinning with a 4 or 6 p nail till t-belt is back on. Part is $$$$ if you mess it up! Been there, done that!!!

Some people say they loosen the cam sprocket bolts before removing the timing belt; not sure how well that works.

I coughed up and bought the sprocket holder since I plan to use it many times:

camholderinaction-sm.jpgcamtool.jpg

On '96 2.2L I just did, cramming a small prybar in this access hole worked very well for loosening and tightening the crank pulley bolt.

blockcrank-96-1.jpg

I called them and you are right around 65.00 dollars, However I took the part # from your picture and called Litha Subaru and they ordered me one for around 10.00 dollars less. I would think with the Subaru part # you should be able to get them at any Subaru dealer.

I forget exactly, I think it was about $68. I got it from subaru.spx.com you can get all Subaru special service tools there. They don't list prices on their site. I just typed up a little 'RFQ' request for quotation in Word and faxed it to them.