Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Update: flat towed wagon 2,500mi

I bought a 1986 GL-10 T-wagon out in Wyoming. It had it's tranny (auto) removed, and has sat for a few years. I took the rear crossmember out of it and left it on blocks in my uncles yard.

I'm going back this summer with a tranny out of my touring wagon ($75 special), I'm going to find a crossmember somewhere, put everything together and hope it runs. It was "put away running" and looks OK under the hood.

What are the chances of a 22 year old car that's sat for at least 4 years making it 2,600 miles home?

Or, how strong should I build the tow bar to attach it to the back of my truck when it blows?

Even assuming the car is free, you'll spend more in time and gas driving one vehicle 2600 miles, and two vehicles another 2600 miles than you would just buying a nice one from the west coast and having it shipped to your door.

Although I understand if this is an "adventure" that you don't mind losing money on. I do understand the attraction of a 2600 mile roadtrip. If the car is only secondary to having fun then go for it. Otherwise I wouldn't drive that far for an EA82T - especially not a flapper MAF one.

The cooling system is your biggest drawback. I would say replace all the cooling hoses - radiator, heater core, water pump bypass, throttle body, turbo, etc. New OEM thermostat. And just bring a new or known good dual-core radiator with you to swap into it. If it runs, but the cooling system is weak, it will be downhill from there.

The fuel system is probably fine. Drain all the old fuel you can and fill with new gas and a can of seafoam in that first tank. Change the fuel filter. Bring a known good fuel pump with you as sometimes setting for long periods can cause them to fail as they are a point of condensation for water.

Oil and filter of course. New OEM air filter. Carry a spare distributor and coil as well.

Would I do it? No. But for other models/cars perhaps. I've done crazier things.

GD

Change the timing belts or at least have spares and the tools to change it. Change the oil. Check the antifreeze. Get fresh gas. CHECK THE BRAKES. and then go!!

I bought a car on Ebay that had sat for 2 years after an engine fire, and drove it home 2100 miles after repairing the fire damage to wiring and engine rubber.

why not?

i went 2300 miles to go pick up a car that was worth only parts, and dont get me started on that story.

take along a good radiator and maybe an upper and lower rad hose. the rest should be fine, i wouldnt be afraid to do it.

if anything make sure you have at leas 2 spares, as old corded tires can fall apart if they sat for a while.

be advised, depending on the environment that it sat in, something like the fuel pump could quit working, or a timing belt can let go. dont go accelerating too hard to try and avoid that. if you want to take the time to replace the timing belts then go ahead

car should start if it ran before. i went 300 miles onece to pick up a car, and the guy started it right before me after it had sat without running for almost 2 years. and it was carbbed.

Yes it could go the distance.

Look on Craigs list for a cheap tow dolly, license, tag it etc.. and then you can sell it after you get back ... or keep it.

As long as the Subaru is lighter then the truck so the tail isn't waging the dog kind of thing.

You should have sufficient mechanical skills too save your bacon and not depend on calling others too rescue you.

What ever you plan on time...add a couple extra days in there for the gremlins should they attach themselves.

On long trips I keep AAA-Delux, 100 miles tow range... used it twice thus far and nice to have to get too the next town kind of thing.

I'd go for it, as long as everything is looked over REALLY well before the trip and all checks out okay. I've taken my '86 SPFI 3AT coupe all over the place (13,000 miles in five months) and not much has gone wrong, except a few small things that can still wait to be fixed, while I still daily drive it.

WELL WORTH spending less than a hundred bucks on a years worth of peace of mind in buying AAA platinum just for the "just-in-case" on this trip.

Bring spare fuel pump, timing belts, maybe a spare axle and a fullsize spare tire, an air pump, I would drain, flush with water, and fill the rad up with antifreeze before leaving, and run some sea foam through the gas tank. Maybe even change the oil. Might not hurt to have any spare coolant hose you have around in the car.. but GD's comments truly say it all.

Don't forget, AAA can tow you directly to a U-haul with a car dolly, too....

I bought an 86 GL10 non-turbo wagon last summer. It had been sitting for 4 years. I had most of the problems members have allready mentioned.

The one thing that has been passed over a bit too lightly is the gas tank.

I tried draining the tank, adding Seafoam & fresh gas - and the wagon ran great - in the garage. Once I got it out on the road it sputtered & bucked like a mule. I wound up dropping the tank & rinsing it out with a gallon of carb cleaner - the kind you buy in a gallon paint can & it has a tiny bucket in it for soaking carb parts. I sloshed a gallon of that stuff for 20 minutes & you should have seen the crap that came out. After 2 rinses with regular gas, I put it back together & flushed out the pump & lines. With a new fuel filter, it's been running fine for almost 7,000 miles since Aug '07.

This occurred in humid Virginia. The dry west may not cause that problem, but it is one more thing to be prepared for.

Best of luck.

ScottG

the brat i got from cali, i had shipped and am glad. when it arrived, the carb needed rebuilt for it to start and idle correctly, and then after i rebuilt the carb, changed the antifreeze, and after about 150 miles, the water pump began to leak. It had sat for some time before i got it, the seals in the pump must have gotten dry, and then after i began to drive it, they leaked, to the point that if I would have attempted to drive it back here to iowa, I would have broken down easily as a minimum, or worse would have broken down and overheated/blown the motor.

I suggest to get it transported.....before i would recommend you to drive it.

I think its all about the adventure..If you expect the unexpected..and are willing to take the chances..I would say go for it...It would be a great time and even better stories later.

If I had the actual time to take off work I would seriouslly be thinking of driving my 83 GL-10 coupe back from WA...And thats about the same trip...2925 miles...44 hours of driving.

Dont rush the trip back and take lots of breaks to go over the car..I would do it but I love driving.

Gd dosen't seem to like ea82's

Like/Dislike has nothing to do with it. The engines are junk-o-rama. Once you have owned a few and aren't wet behind the ears anymore, you too will relegate them to past where they belong. Folks here and elsewhere have been banging their heads against the EA82(T) wall for a long, long time. They are simply not worth the effort. Regarding engines of similar vintage the EA81T and the EJ22T are both much better designs in most respects.

but to me a t wagon is worth getting.

Awesome - take em all. Have a blast using up the remaining stock of HG's for them.

GD

The engines are junk-o-rama.

GD

That is a subjective opinion for sure. EA82s have there faults, for sure. But most of the fault lies in people not servicing them right, or abusing them, or some combination of both. There is a reason they made them for 10 years. Cause they are as solid as any other subaru motor if maintained properly. Espescially the non turbo ones.

But even the turbo ones are good too. I've read threads and personally seen a proportionally same amount of troubles with EA81T and EJ22T. They just made WAAAAAY more EA82Ts than either of the others, so you hear about more problems. the one big "flaw" I can see with them is the exhaust crack tendancy, which can be avoided with proper cooling. And repaired if needed.

I've been TRYING to blow up a EA82T for about 20,000 mile now. With cheap ebay Headgaskets(retorqued after a warm run) Still hangin' on like a pitbull.

That is a subjective opinion for sure. EA82s have there faults, for sure. But most of the fault lies in people not servicing them right, or abusing them, or some combination of both. There is a reason they made them for 10 years. Cause they are as solid as any other subaru motor if maintained properly. Espescially the non turbo ones.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "As solid as any other". But I agree they aren't all that bad when compared to other brands.

In stock form, and with excelent maintenance, they often do very well in N/A trim.

The (relatively few) turbo's that are left out there are survivors. Many having multiple head gasket and/or head replacements to make it this far and this long. Turbo's (all turbo's really) are maintenance hogs.

But even the turbo ones are good too. I've read threads and personally seen a proportionally same amount of troubles with EA81T and EJ22T. They just made WAAAAAY more EA82Ts than either of the others, so you hear about more problems. the one big "flaw" I can see with them is the exhaust crack tendancy, which can be avoided with proper cooling. And repaired if needed.

Well - I would point out that Subaru redesigned the heads 3 times before just giving up on the EA82T's after 90. And actually the EA82T was only made for 6 years. EJ22T was made for 4, and EA81T was made for 2. So yes there are a few more out there, but not "WAAAAAY" more.

I've been TRYING to blow up a EA82T for about 20,000 mile now. With cheap ebay Headgaskets(retorqued after a warm run) Still hangin' on like a pitbull.

Sure - but you are a competant mechanic.

It's not that the EA82T is without it's redeeming qualities, or that it's not reliable if maintained in stock form. It's that it's basically an uneccesary engine in the scheme of things. It's got barely any more power than an N/A plant, can't handle much over stock boost levels for a reasonable amount of monetary assistance, and gets terrible mileage to boot.... so why would I want one? So I can beat my head against the frustrating wall of performance that others have as-yet been unable to break through?

No - if I'm going to take the time to mod an engine then I would rather use that time to just drop in an EJ22 N/A.

And if I want a stock vehicle with decent HP, I can drive a Legacy with 130 stock. Also no turbo.

The point is that there really isn't a place for the EA82T anymore. It's got very little to offer anyone with enough sense to stop and think about their options.

If you just want to play with a cheap turbo engine then I guess it's a good learning experience. But for practical purposes they just aren't "fun" when there's so much better, cheaper, and less frustrating engines to be had for the same price.

GD

I'm going to agree with GD about the EA82T engines - I don't have the patience, money, or nostalgia necessary to want one. I'd also opt for the EJ22 swap as it is an excellent long-term investment that will keep you older Subaru reliable for a long time.

However... GL10 cars have some pretty nice options available, such as rear sway bars and better interiors. I would consider getting an EA82T car that ran reasonably well, and I'd plan to EJ22 it in the near future - the best of both worlds.

Like/Dislike has nothing to do with it. The engines are junk-o-rama. Once you have owned a few and aren't wet behind the ears anymore, you too will relegate them to past where they belong.
Uhm we have been though this,I won't regret my ea82s.Please don't start that again.
Awesome - take em all. Have a blast using up the remaining stock of HG's for them.
Mabey I will,Although I've never had nor any of my friends had probs with hgs on ea82s.

Just cause you don't like ea82s doesent mean you have to bash people who do.Yes I like ea82s.I've had ea82s,an ej22 and an ej25.I'm not a fan of ej22's because the one I had was nothing but trouble and blew it's hgs.But I don't bash ej22's.My first ea82 went close to 300000 then the city would'nt pass it for smog,but it was still running.The replacement engine (ea82) has had no issues. I have and have had friends who have similar story's.I don't know about where you live but here it's hard to find an ea82 in a junk yard without 200000 or so miles on it.That tells me there good cars/engines.And I'm sure many subie fans would agree.

This isn't a thread about the general quality of the engines, It's a what's the chance this type of engine will hold together long enough to make it.

EA82's and T's suck because they have 3 main bearings. Need I say more?

I thought I had already said this, but looking back I had never written it down. I have a EJ25 or an EZ30 to go into this car. My plan is to crank the boost when, and if, the motor makes it home. The flapper door's don't have any fuel cut right? So mo' power unil max boom.

The water pump is a good thing I wouldn't have thought of untill I needed it.

The car was $160, it has a sunroof. I like sunroofs a lot. It has the rear swaybar, disk brakes, pretty much no rust. I have an EJ 5spd to put into it, I have a wiring harness.

EA82's and T's suck because they have 3 main bearings. Need I say more?

Huh??? By that logic every subaru before 1990 sucked. EA61,71,81 all had 3 mains. The EA82 is basically the same block! And the EJ isn't really all that different either.

At least the EA82 is closed deck:cool:

+ 1 for EA82T cars being great candidates for EJ swaps. High pressure fuel setup in place already, disc brakes, and 25 spline axles ready to go! I just got my whole donor 94 legacy for my swap!

But I want to keep at least one nice EA82T in close to stock condition, for my own personal reasons

Huh??? By that logic every subaru before 1990 sucked. EA61,71,81 all had 3 mains. The EA82 is basically the same block! And the EJ isn't really all that different either.

I think you missed a member we once had that was banned for...... being a mental case.

That was a "joke" intended to poke fun at the ignorance of said member.

GD

I was apparently part of the "lynch mob" that argued against him.

It was a joke. I respect the ea series engines for being able to put up with a lot of abuse and still keep running, but they are dogs when it comes to mmoving the car quickly. I already have one EJ swap, now I'm addicted.

If anyone has a spare rear crossmember along I-80 between New York and Wyoming, I'd be interested.

The origional owners bought 4 brand new tires for it, they literally have never been driven on. It seemed like they were confident the car was a good runner before their son pulled the tranny because of an apple-cored governor. Seemed he thought it needed a tranny rebuild because it wouldn't shift... and lost the TC in the process of letting the tranny sit in the shed.