Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to disable that irritating seatbelt chime?

I'm new to this forum, but not to Subaru. I just traded my '85 wagon (261k miles) in on a new Outback. As I am single, sometimes my dog or a sack of groceries rides in the passenger seat. That weight activates that irritating seatbelt chime. The owner's manual says to contact the Subaru dealer to de-activate the chime. I asked the service department, and the guy there said Subaru wouldn't even tell them how to stop the irritation.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that hates that irritating noise. It can't be that difficult to silence. How do you do it?

I'm new to this forum, but not to Subaru. I just traded my '85 wagon (261k miles) in on a new Outback. As I am single, sometimes my dog or a sack of groceries rides in the passenger seat. That weight activates that irritating seatbelt chime. The owner's manual says to contact the Subaru dealer to de-activate the chime. I asked the service department, and the guy there said Subaru wouldn't even tell them how to stop the irritation.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that hates that irritating noise. It can't be that difficult to silence. How do you do it?

I left the key in the ignition and the door open and looked under the dash of my '91 Legacy until I found the offending chime and unplugged it. After I did that, I had a flashing light on my dash that I covered with black tape so I wouldn't see it....been that way for 6 years now. Blessed silence!

Use the SEARCH function on the site as this has been covered.

As I recall, sitting in the driver's seat, turn ignition key to the ON position but do not start the car. Then buckle and unbuckle the driver's seat belt rapidly for 10-15 times and then while the belt is buckled, turn the key off and remove the key from the ignition, unbuckle and then exit the car. The next time you put the key in, it will chime a few times and then stop. This worked fine on my 05 OB and the above is the procedure as best as I can remember but as I said, check the site's SEARCH function for "seat belt chime".

I found the link: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57945&highlight=seat+belt+chime

Thanks for all of your quick replies.

The first time I noticed this irritating chime, my new pup was riding in the passenger seat and when I figured out what was causing the irritating noise, I buckled the passenger seatbelt. Noise stopped, but pup started chewing on the belt. I then stretched the belt behind the seat and locked it. Worked fine until I had a real person passenger.

A few weeks later of locking and un-locking the passenger belt behind the seat, I had the bright idea of cutting the wire to the passenger belt lock. That makes the chime stay on. Don't do this!

I then talked to the guy at the Subaru service desk. He told me about the thing of locking and un-locking the belt 15 times, but he said that would only disable the chime for one time.

On the way home, I also had the idea of getting an extra buckle, and thought if there was a center belt in the back seat, I could cut it off and use it. I couldn't find a center buckle. There are 3 latches, but only 2 buckles.

We're having a little of that white Montana winter sunshine right now, so when it stops, I'll try the 15-20 buckle/un-buckle thing. If that doesn't work, a trip to the junkyard will be in order.

Again, thanks for your suggestions.

• 2 years later...

I've successfully disabled my seat belt chime using the "25 times in 30secs"

method described on the legacygt forums.

I also thought there was a way to disable the open-door-key-in-ignition chime,

without having to cut a wire or muffle the chime speaker.. Was that just another

daydream?

Thanks much!

Edited by gadberry
I 'mis-remembered' a few key details and corrected myself.. :)