Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just traded in my 98 outback for a 2005 outback and I'm feeling terrible about it. What gives? I am not mechanically inclined and my 98 was having burning oil smells and weird noises, so I traded it in rather than taking it to a non subaru mechanic. The closest subaru dealer is too far away. Anyway, I really miss my 98, feel guilt for parting with it when it had only 170k miles and trading it for what I consider a fancy car. Has anyone experienced this? :-\

First of all,

Welcome... and congrats on the new subie!

I know just what youre talking about though. I grew up riding in and driving old subes.

In 2004 I bought a new subaru. It felt ....well, I guess "sterile" is the word. :-\

I was actually glad after a year or so when it started getting broken in and started having quirks (albeit little ones)

On a better note, if your 98 had a phase 1 2.5 liter, you may have saved yourself the cost and aggrivation of a headgasket replacement on it by trading in. Its the dealers problem now.

If you miss driving an older sube (like I did) get yourself a 92-95 stick-shift legacy wagon with the 2.2 liter. Rock solid engine, great 5 spd, and AWD!

In any case, post some pics of your new ride!!! :banana:

Two great cars...So a bit of 'buyer's remorse' maybe? Are you making payments on the XT (which I'd love to have BTW - the car; not the payments!)? Is it your wallet feeling the pain?

I felt a similar 'pang' when I had to sell my 97 OB and the wife and I bought a new SUV....which she mostly drives (long story). Of course I had to get another Subie, hence the '90 Leg I have now.

Enjoy the XT and 'this too shall pass'....you deserve it!

P.S. see above...hopefully you DID miss out on the '98 headgasket replacement - I did not!

Yes, I now have to make car payments:mad: . My husband insisted on getting the XT, but I am not too pleased with the gas milage. He is infatuated with car and sneaks away with it leaving me with his Civic. I got stuck in the snow twice last week! I'm thinking that I'll let him have the car and when we move to Maine in a couple of years, I'll get a soob that's more reminiscent of my '98. Or maybe the XT will grow on me!

I think once a car hits 100,000 miles it is no longer a thing, but an member of the family. It develops quirks and a personailty. Even if you buy a used car with that many miles, you notice it has quirks that make it unique.

So to fix this, start driving the newer car ......... a lot :)

nipper

I'm thinking that I'll let him have the car and when we move to Maine in a couple of years, I'll get a soob that's more reminiscent of my '98. Or maybe the XT will grow on me!

If that's the case, look for a low mileage Sube with the 2.2. I'm surprised at some of the super clean 95-97 Subes still out there with 80 to 100k on them. Find one w/ a good history w/ its owner and it'll be like old times for you...

Yes, I now have to make car payments:mad: . My husband insisted on getting the XT, but I am not too pleased with the gas milage. He is infatuated with car and sneaks away with it leaving me with his Civic. I got stuck in the snow twice last week! I'm thinking that I'll let him have the car and when we move to Maine in a couple of years, I'll get a soob that's more reminiscent of my '98. Or maybe the XT will grow on me!

I don't read 'palms' or have a 'crystal ball', but I also see you having another Subie in the family when you get to Maine. :)

And yes, by all means, drive it more!

Just traded in my 98 outback for a 2005 outback and I'm feeling terrible about it. What gives? I am not mechanically inclined and my 98 was having burning oil smells and weird noises, so I traded it in rather than taking it to a non subaru mechanic. The closest subaru dealer is too far away. Anyway, I really miss my 98, feel guilt for parting with it when it had only 170k miles and trading it for what I consider a fancy car. Has anyone experienced this? :-\

ahh yes grasshopper, new subbies are like new lovers, you have to fully experience them to fully enjoy them. the more you drive the more you glide! the more you love the more..... children you make.

to borrow an advertizing phrase from volvo in the 60s, 'drive it like you hate it', soon you'll love it.

I know the feeling. I still miss my original XT I bought almost 20 years ago. Had it for 5 years and traded it in for one of the first Imprezas. Then I got nostalgic a few years back and went through 3 used XTs before settling on a shiny new Impreza. I miss all the memories and trips I took in those XTs but then I realized that I miss even more having a reliable Subaru in the garage that does not need a diaper under her every night.

The wife still has her 96 Impreza Outback wagon with low miles (under 100K) but it entering the years of cranking out the oil smell. No drips yet but give it another 50K and they will start.

I'm not guilt ridden but, I do miss my 97 OB 5spd w/ all the dodads. The worthless 2.5 turned in to a overheated mess again, second time. So I found a nice 97 Leg. wagon w/ a 2.2 auto but it's not the same. I'm trying to get my garage rebuilt before spring so I can do something about it. If not then when the weather breaks I'll pull the 2.2 and the OB wil roll again!:clap:

I parted ways with a very very much so loved ( pretty well known here on the boards too) Loyale wagon..very recently.. I gave him to people who I trust fully and I knew were going to give him a great home.I felt bad when he gave them some grief too. I still love that car..always will...but I moved to a 2008 Impreza 5 door..and I adore her too..I dont feel as bad I guess cause the Loyale( Bucky) is in the best hands possible.