Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What would you do? RX prob

SO I bought this 1987 Subaru RX for $400 and used about $200 in gas getting the thing and dropping it off at my garage.

IMG_2751Medium.jpg

IMG_2752Medium.jpg

The intake manifold has a blown gasket somewhere... the thing smokes like no tomorrow but only once it warms up.

I only have 1 day a week to really work on this thing, that is saturday.

I have tags for it, and jsut bought new tires.

Should I sell it or can someone help me out here.

leaking intake? yeah, you definately neeed to get rid of it. it would be a really good idea to just ship it to me ;)

j/k

no, that's pretty easy to fix...looks like you got a really sweet RX there for a hell of a deal. just about any money you put into it, you're still coming out on top, paying that little.

~Erik~

Do the basic diagnostics like Compression Testing it.

What kind of smoke? Is it white? White is steam, gray-black is oil.

Take the down pipe off the turbo and check for turbine shaft play.

If the results from the compression test are good, replace the intake gaskets...OEM of course. Once the gaskets are replaced and if it doesn't blow anymore steam do a tune up:

Timing belts and components, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, thermostat, maybe a coil (money allowing for any of those).

That's a nice car, I paid $400 for my RX and I had to reseal the whole engine and it's an 4eat.

the problem being that one of the manifold bolts broke off at the ehad, the one on the passengerside next to the coolant passage, and the manifold will not budge at all, at elast from when i was there to try to help. its like the coolant has leaked past the gasket there and cemented the manifold to the bolt, or whats left of it. the local subaru shop i go to when i am stuck said that we need to keep spraying it with something like pb blaster and try to rotate the manifold around the bolt. anyone else have any ideas?

the problem being that one of the manifold bolts broke off at the ehad, the one on the passengerside next to the coolant passage, and the manifold will not budge at all, at elast from when i was there to try to help. its like the coolant has leaked past the gasket there and cemented the manifold to the bolt, or whats left of it. the local subaru shop i go to when i am stuck said that we need to keep spraying it with something like pb blaster and try to rotate the manifold around the bolt. anyone else have any ideas?

Engine still in the car?

I had this problem twice, once in the car, once out. Having it out was a lot easier. Take one side off then take the head off that's still attached and rotate the head.

In the car, takes two people. One person is pulling up on the manifold while the other is moving it side to side. Soaking it with PB.

Intake manifold is not bad if you take your time and doing the appropriate steps. PB Blaster is your friend on the bolts. When getting replacement gaskets, I cannot stress to you the importance of buying dealer gaskets. I have a picture of where some idiot used the make your own gasket crap and what it looks like after a year or so of use.

I trick I have used is to

strap the intake close to the

broken bolt.

Use an engine crane to lift - not off the ground

but put some weight on the crane.

Liberal app of PB followed by some

raps on the bolt with a punch

equal in dia. to the bolt.

(another bolt will do)

You do not want to mushroom the broken bolt.

Let sit in the hung position

come back next Sat. and try again.

Hope this helps, nice looking RX (it wasn't Kevins was it?)

I trick I have used is to

strap the intake close to the

broken bolt.

Use an engine crane to lift - not off the ground

but put some weight on the crane.

Liberal app of PB followed by some

raps on the bolt with a punch

equal in dia. to the bolt.

(another bolt will do)

You do not want to mushroom the broken bolt.

Let sit in the hung position

come back next Sat. and try again.

Hope this helps, nice looking RX (it wasn't Kevins was it?)

you could also try this :http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=screw+extractor+kit&Submit=Go

nice car for the $$. Me?I would keep it no matter how long it takes, and put an EJ series problem solver in there. ask Suberdave,or Numchux, and others that have done it. good luck . MKC

these cars would look SO BADASS with a quad round headlight setup, and a honeycomb grille.... almost like a VW Scirocco.

I say you stick it on the east coast railway bound for transfer to West Palm Beach. I'll fix it.

Don't worry about anything, I'll send you lots of pictures. :grin: