Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 not firing

I'm going to look at an EA82 wagon this week. Seller reports:

"Has around 165K broke 1 of the timing belts --no valve damage -- New belts and tensioner installed but can't get 1 side to fire properly Will run on 2 cyl Has compression on all cylinders and seems to show spark"

I'm suspecting that there's a good chance that he's either slipped a tooth or got the cam 180* out when he installed the new belt.

Anyone got any other suggestions for what to look for?

I think I'm going to look at it tonight, probably give him a deposit and then haul it home on Saturday if it's as clean as he claims... That said, the price is right enough that even if she's a bit rusty I can still drive the heck out of her without any real concerns:clap:

the manual dosnt tell you that you have to turn the crank one full turn before you alighn the other timing mark on the cam . common mistake. i did it the first time just like the "chit" eltins manual said. i got a 93 loyale that way for 100 bucks , runs perfect now, they replaced the timing belts wrong.. and thaught they bent a valve

She's been bought... Taking posession on Saturday morning:clap:

1988 GL wagon, 5spd pushbutton, SPFI. Rolling on 13" rims that I haven't been able to identify as yet... (I think they're 13" factory steels)

I'm going to take out the timing belts that he installed and start fresh on the repairs. Probably about 20 mins worth of work I'm hoping! Should be driving her next week :headbang:

I'm going to take out the timing belts that he installed and start fresh on the repairs. Probably about 20 mins worth of work I'm hoping! Should be driving her next week :headbang:

I wanna help,pick me yea me pick me me yea me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: . can we film documentery? :cool: MKC

I am in for it. Let me know when and where and give me enough time to get to a stopping point on my Honey Do list!

She's coming home on Saturday morning... if you feel like making a family trip out to Baldy's Cafe in Seymour for breakfast we'll be meeting there before mykingcrab and I head out to get her! :grin:

If I'm able to get to the replacement belts on my wife's Trooper Saturday then I'll be getting onto the timing belts after that... Shooting for a safety inspection on Monday :headbang:

She's coming home on Saturday morning... if you feel like making a family trip out to Baldy's Cafe in Seymour for breakfast we'll be meeting there before mykingcrab and I head out to get her! :grin:

If I'm able to get to the replacement belts on my wife's Trooper Saturday then I'll be getting onto the timing belts after that... Shooting for a safety inspection on Monday :headbang:

COBCOB, Have you set a breakfast time? HYRYSC, the explorer(my tow vehical) has room for you too!!!!!!!!!!!!! we can now have OUR 1ST SUBARU GROUP THERAPY:lol: :lol: :lol:

please check the spark plug wires

against your GL-10

before tearing it apart.

Some of the things the PO says could point to this

and easy fixes are the best fixes.

Thanks Skip!

I'm planning on checking all of that out before I get into the t-belts. first point of checking is the plug wires and disty. Then I'm going to check the cam marks and the marks on the flywheel before pulling the belts. I'm 99% certain that because he was working off the Chilton's he didn't know about the full rotation of the crank before installing the second belt.

OK, she arrived home on Saturday after a brief visit to the pressure wash bay at the local car wash. Cleaned up pretty darn good!!

I checked and re-did the timing belts, re-installed the valve cover that the PO had removed to "check if the valves got bent" and also checked the plug wires. Still no firing even with a shot of starter fluid. She did backfire out the intake once which ignited the starter fluid that had oversprayed on the inside of the air cleaner housing so that was fun for a minute or two while I put that out!!

I'm going to put some fresh gas in her tonight as well as double checking that the distributor is in correctly.

I'm 99% certain that the disty is in the right orientation because with the passenger side cam at 10:30 (45* CCW from straight up) the rotor is pointing at the #1 plug connection. I know that they swapped distys out of another Subaru that they had laying around...

The fuel pump cycles on and off when the key is on,

If all of that checks out then I'm going to run the gamut of fuel filter, compression test, etc. as well as checking for any codes, there was a piece of black tape over the CEL so I suspect I'll find SOMETHING in there :-\

(1988 EA82 wagon, SPFI, 5spd Pushbutton)

I just have to ask for the benefit of others doing their timing belts. Please describe the flywheel marks you used for the timing belt setting.

Per the USRM instructions, driver's cam mark straight up, rotate crank so the middle of the 3 ||| lines on the flywheel align with the pointer

cranktiming.jpg

Do you have access to a timing light?

Yes I do. Won't do me a whole lot of good unless it's running. Although I could get the wifey to crank it over while I check the timing (green plugs connected of course)

You could use one of these for the timing op

remstar.jpg

Thanks Skip

I did try to run the timing light when we first got her home, Mykingcrab was cranking but there wasn't enough juice out of the battery to fire the Xenon light:-\ I've got her charging right now so hopefully I'll be able to get somewhere with it tonight. I'll grab a compression tester on the way home, left mine in Australia when I moved (technically it was my old man's)