Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Never had this happen before. Took my 95 Legacy L wagon though inspection and it failed the gas tank pressure test. I have a friend, a factory trained Subie guy that does all my work. We took the 2 access panels behind the back seat off, looked at all the hoses and connectors and then looked at all the hoses and connectors around the tank. found nothing. Went back to DMV and it failed again. It could be the charcoal cannister, but the guy at the Subie parts counter said they rarely fail.

Any ideas?

I'd be willing to bet that Skip has it right.

Those filler tubes are a well known problem. And an expensive little bugger.

I was lucky and found an excellent one at a junk yard that I need to replace on a 95 Legacy. I've removed the one at the junk yard but haven't replaced the one on the 95. This one is bad. Really swiss cheese - no hopes of repair. Remove the wheel and look - behind that plastic shield odds are good that nastyness awaits.

My girlfriends 96 Impreza had the same issue.

Dave

I've never heard of a gas tank pressure test when getting an inspection. That's weird. I wouldn't want anyone pressurizing my fuel system.

First of all, Delaware DMV inspection is a joke. All they do is, check horn, wipers, lights, turn signals, pass a mirror under the car to make sure the cat hasn't been removed. Then they have you accelerate to about 15-20mph in the lane and stop on a skid pad. You can have pads down to the metal and paper thin rotors, but as long as the car stops on the pad, you pass. They put a probe in the exhaust of older cars, or plug into the newer cars w/ OBD connectors to test emissions. Then they open the hood, pinch off a hose by the charcoal cannister and replace the gas cap with theirs thats attached the pressure testing gear to test the tank pressure. Thats what I failed.

Thats about it.

Anyone aware of an aftermarket source for these filler tubes? They seem a bit pricey.

I did some online searching but didn't come up with anything other than the usual on-line subaru parts folks.

Wonder how bad the liability would be? I'm almost thinking of having a muffler shop see if they can bend one up using the good one as a pattern. The top where the gas cap goes would need welded on - they seem to rust behind the plastic shield at the bottom of the bend.

I was very happy that I found one in great condition at the last yard that I checked. If it hadn't been on the yard buggy that had just died it would have been gone as well.

I hate putting a 100.00+ part on a car only worth 1k.

Dave

Anyone aware of an aftermarket source for these filler tubes? They seem a bit pricey.

I did some online searching but didn't come up with anything other than the usual on-line subaru parts folks.

Wonder how bad the liability would be? I'm almost thinking of having a muffler shop see if they can bend one up using the good one as a pattern. The top where the gas cap goes would need welded on - they seem to rust behind the plastic shield at the bottom of the bend.

I was very happy that I found one in great condition at the last yard that I checked. If it hadn't been on the yard buggy that had just died it would have been gone as well.

I hate putting a 100.00+ part on a car only worth 1k.

Dave

I can get used ones sometimes, I've found a few. I might be going to the yard tomorrow if anyone needs one. The yard nearest to me gets a lot of insurance auction wrecks that don't seem to be rusted as bad as the typical junkyard subies.

Your car is only worth $1000 :eek:

Yea. I buy some for friends and family. Some I resell. The car with the bad tube is a Silver 95 Legacy sedan, auto, 195k that I bought at auction. Cool canary yellow seat covers. Ran home 30 miles just fine. When I put gas in it I almost got my feet wet. Inspected, excellent tires, rust the usual places (rear wheel wells) but also bottom of doors, etc. Asking 1,100.

If I make a couple bucks and I learn something I'm happy. I get lots of cars for high school kids, college kids, better mileage for commuting for friends that drive pick-ups, etc. Usually 2-5k but sometimes cheapies.

Dave

Here is an idea. Fill the tank with gasoline. Since you have a guy that does work, he sould have an exhaust sniffer. This sniffs for hydrocarbons. Using the sniffer under the car, sniff around the tank, the filer neck, inside the areas under the access panels. When the meter spikes, thats where your problem is.

nipper