Ultimate Subaru Message Board

$25 for a thermostat!

I went to my closest Subaru dealer yesterday to buy a thermostat for my 85 GL-10 and my 84 Brat. I was quoted a price of $25 a piece! I could not believe it. No way was I paying that price. Came home and went to 1stsubaruparts.com and check how much they are selling them for. $10.76 each! Man I will never buy anything from my local dealer again. This is not the first time I have tried to buy parts there. Their parts prices are always outrageous.

Yeah - you need a dealer that will give you wholesale. My dealer charges just a tiny bit more than the online dealers, but I save the shipping. Thermo's are $11 something. Heater core for my 91 SS was listed at $265. Online it was $190 + $35 shipping. My dealer was $197 cash and carry :)

You have to know the parts counter people. Also it helps to say "Awe! You can do better than that!". Maybe they get the drift, maybe they don't care. At least they will know that you know their prices are silly.

GD

Yes, I have noticed two pricing issues with walk-in sales with my two local Subaru dealers. First, they mark up even Subaru's list price. Then they usually double their own marked up list price. That means a $10 part you pay $25. And local dealers often don't stock a lot of parts it seems. So I order all online except in emergency.

lets guess a Subaru T-stat is good for

50,000 miles -- 25$ = online about half that.

so 2500 pennies/50000 miles

I'm no good at math?

But new math says

25/500 - looks cheap to me in cents (as in common)

per mile??

I'm sure I'm wrong??

What's a blown headgasket cost to fix??

lets guess a Subaru T-stat is good for

50,000 miles -- 25$ = online about half that.

so 2500 pennies/50000 miles

I'm no good at math?

But new math says

25/500 - looks cheap to me in cents (as in common)

per mile??

I'm sure I'm wrong??

What's a blown headgasket cost to fix??

:confused: We are comparing the price for the same OEM thermostat, though.

Nobody wants the cheapie jive ones.

http://www.worldpartsexpress.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=214078&chapter=ANL730&appSectionid=8&groupid=10011&subgroupid=20036&componentid=61868&make=32&model=Sedan&year=1985&graphicID=F730022&callout=6&catalogid=1

Worldpartsexpress is a pretty good site for OEM parts. If you have a bunch of parts, shipping can be considered minimal. I have ordered from them many times. I believe they operate out of MN.

I will buy mine online. The local dealer for me is 30 miles away and I think the next closest dealer is about 2 hour drive away. About the only thing I would but from the dealer is a oil filter. They are the only thing reasonable. And I will only buy that if I happen to be near the dealer at the time. I am not going to drive 30 miles just for a oil filter!