Ultimate Subaru Message Board

legacy lift....

offroadsubaruguy

im looking into building myself a 2inch lift for the legacy.... in doing so, will i need to replace the radiator hoses with a more customized hose? im pretty sure everything else will be fine i just wanted to see if anyone knew so i dont have to mess with it after i get everything installed.....

Blu has a lift kit of 2"

Someplace on here i have photographed and posted what needed to be changed. Lets review :)

Upper and lower radiator hoses.. i think mine still have the part numbers on it, i can look if you want.

Fuel lines from the chasis to the engine need to be replaced with longer hose.

DSC00743.jpg

The vac lines for the charcoal canister need to be replaces with longer hoses.

DSC00741.jpg

Air box bracket can be scrapped

DSC00760.jpg It serves no purchae after the engine is lowered (or body raised).

A notch should be cut in the guard bracket

DSC00748.jpg

If using the facotory air box it will look like this

DSC00751.jpg

Under the car (no pictures). I had to replace the shifter cable as it was not happy. The bracket that holds that cable on the tranny needs to be modified. You need to loose one reat exhaust hanger at the tailpipe, otherwise it will always thump on the floor. You will also need to modify the heat sheilds under the floor a tad bit, but nothing major.

I have yet to do is flip the rear radius rods.

DSC00607.jpg

DSC00606.jpg

This is what the engine compartment looks like when your done

DSC00601.jpg

hope that helps.

nipper

the upper hose has the same part number, outback or not (outbacks have a small block on the engine crossmember). the lower hose is a different part number, but the difference is pretty minimal. so I think the stock one will be fine. if it gets kinked....just replace it with an outback one (I've got the part number written down for that....I'll add that in a minute if I can find it).

i already have the outback struts, still need to get the springs, but the info about the fuel lines and stuff is helpfull too....i am gonna have to get the strut tops for the rear springs for an outback first as i am gonna adapt the outback stuff to the legacy mounting point......... should be fun, if you guys have the part numbers hanging around for the outback rad hoses i would appreciate it.........thanks

i already have the outback struts, still need to get the springs, but the info about the fuel lines and stuff is helpfull too....i am gonna have to get the strut tops for the rear springs for an outback first as i am gonna adapt the outback stuff to the legacy mounting point......... should be fun, if you guys have the part numbers hanging around for the outback rad hoses i would appreciate it.........thanks

Dude, You haven't searched this much have you????

You can't use Outback springs or strut top on the rear.

Take you're legacy springs off you're old struts, and mount them on the Outback struts. The Outback spring will not fit, and are actually a hair shorter, so you get less lift not more.

For the Fronts, the Whole Outback Strut/Spring/Top will fit, but again, you will get more lift (1/2" - 1") reusing you're old legacy springs.

Don't bother mounting blocks between the crossmember, or strut tops, notching stuff, exhaust bumping. None of it is needed. And you will get less clearance.

You have everything you need, just do it.

Read my post #13 in this thread.http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82830&page=2

You can't use Outback springs or strut top on the rear.

Take you're legacy springs off you're old struts, and mount them on the Outback struts. The Outback spring will not fit, and are actually a hair shorter, so you get less lift not more.

what? that's the exact opposite of everything I've heard. I haven't done it myself, but we're looking at doing it to my dad's '94 LGT. I've always heard struts gain a bit, and springs gain a bit more. I know a local guy that used to have an outback lowered his by putting stock impreza springs on it.

what? that's the exact opposite of everything I've heard. I haven't done it myself, but we're looking at doing it to my dad's '94 LGT. I've always heard struts gain a bit, and springs gain a bit more. I know a local guy that used to have an outback lowered his by putting stock impreza springs on it.

That was my experience recently.

The rears will absolutely not fit Outback springs. Legacy springs are conical, getting smaller at the top. And the mount has different bolt spacing and centering. So nothing to do but use Legacy springs, not Outback, regardless of the spring height. But the Legacy spring is longer and has more coils.

Fronts we swapped complete with the Outback springs and tops. But the car sits nose down a hair. Legacy springs are longer.

to Gloyal,

the only legacy rear struts that are tapered are on NA sedans, all wagons and turbo cars should have non-tapered coils... had to swap strut tops from a 90 wagon to fit outback coils into my '90 sedan last year, and yesterday swapped my legacy turbo(sedan) strut tops onto WRX struts and coils in my 92 T-leg.

Outback v legacy coils, my seat of the pants spring rate meter says the outbacks are definitly tighter sprung than the legacy wagon springs, but the legacy's will give you slightly more lift... somewhere on nabisco there is a chart that breaks down the usdm coil spring rates/options, I'm just too lazy to go find it...

-N

to Gloyal,

the only legacy rear struts that are tapered are on NA sedans, all wagons and turbo cars should have non-tapered coils...

BS dude. I know because I did the swap. I have 2 sets of them on the floor of my shop.

All first gen (90,91) Legacy rear springs are tappered. I believe 92-94 is the same as well. Outback springs will not fit the rear of 90,91 Legacys. Wagons included.

my original wagon top hats that I swapped into my 90 sedan with outback coils& came from a 94 wagon. not trying to cause grief just saying what works in my cars. You can most defintly get top hats that are nontapered, maybe they only came in 92-94, but they bolt up to any 90-94 Lego and accept almost any ej coil. I've got three legos, 90 sedan: outback coils& struts-94 wagon tophats. 91 wagon: forrester strut&coil-94 wagon tophats. 92t sedan: wrx struts&coils-92 turbo tophats.

my original wagon top hats that I swapped into my 90 sedan with outback coils& came from a 94 wagon. not trying to cause grief just saying what works in my cars. You can most defintly get top hats that are nontapered, maybe they only came in 92-94, but they bolt up to any 90-94 Lego and accept almost any ej coil. I've got three legos, 90 sedan: outback coils& struts-94 wagon tophats. 91 wagon: forrester strut&coil-94 wagon tophats. 92t sedan: wrx struts&coils-92 turbo tophats.

h... Well it seems it' the 90,91 Wagon had the tappered spring at least. I verified that on 3 cars with original springs today. I have one 93 in my shop and it is untappered, so I'm guessing it change with the facaelift and the subtle rear end change in 92.

I would check you're clearance on the backside of the side springs out. I bet you're touching and rubbing, which could cause the spring to bind or compress unevenly. Itdid not seem to me that there was room for the Outback springs on the 91 we lifted. We had to use the 91 tops and spring.

really worn out tophats caused plenty of knocking in the rear with the outback coils. When I replaced those hats I also did some bfh massage, hasn't rubbed since. Havnt had the wrx sprung car on the road with good tophats yet, blown boost hose.

You left out the BFH bit before. With a big enough hammer, one can make anything fit.:lol:

So, it's not as simple as just bolting in. My guess is even with good tops, the untappered springs will be rubbing without some banging.

if you guys have the part numbers hanging around for the outback rad hoses i would appreciate it.........thanks

finally found my parts book. like I said, the upper hose is the same. but the lower one is 45167AC010 for the outback. not a major difference, but gave me enough extra travel to work with my Loyale radiator (outlet is a couple inches higher than the stock legacy one would be).

• 3 months later...